News   Apr 30, 2024
 477     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.2K     3 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1K     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

It was a supplier to the Bombardier-Alstom consortium that built them together. I don't think Bombardier gets all the blame.

I heard the TTC has new cardboard model.....They now have the Toronto Rocket!!!!!!!!
proof from: http://www.thestar.com/news/article/918862--visually-impaired-boy-gets-tour-of-ttc-subway-car
Quote: "Colyn, who tugs on his dad’s arm and demands to go home, leaves with some souvenirs of the day he got to sound the horn on the train — a TTC ball cap and a cardboard model of the newest addition to Toronto’s fleet, the new Toronto Rocket subway train."

Wonder if it had the new subway car smell?

Who knows if the T1's will last as long as other trains. It is evident that stuff today isn't made to the same degree of quality as older things

So far the T1 cars are fantastic, all in all they have surpassed their expectations, I can count on my hand the amount of motor changes I have done on them.

When the T1 cars were ordered they should have ordered more......now we are stuck with these crappy TR trains which look like problems after problems. They seem to be too finicky, don't expect them in service for a while.

Who knows if the T1's will last as long as other trains. It is evident that stuff today isn't made to the same degree of quality as older things

So far the T1 cars are fantastic, all in all they have surpassed their expectations, I can count on my hand the amount of motor changes I have done on them.

When the T1 cars were ordered they should have ordered more......now we are stuck with these crappy TR trains which look like problems after problems. They seem to be too finicky, don't expect them in service for a while.

I guess it is because of all the new technological advances the TRs have, that make them so finicky. It's really interesting that the T1's are so fantastic, I've noticed that they T1's are very reliable, I was merely speculating they might have issues as they age more. From the looks of it, they seem to be quite reliable and durable. How have theotyher train model faired? If no one minds a bit of a tangent.

I'm Surprised they didn't build on the T1, and make a T2 ad so on, but we've seen what happens whena good thing is messed with.

Last edited:

I guess it makes sense that the T1s are mechanically sound. They'd been perfecting the design for 30 years (ever since the M1).

T1s don't meet, let alone surpass, my personal expectations though. They are noisier, less smooth and have screechier brakes than the H-series.

The T1s are far more friendly to a packed crowd though. There aren't enough holds on the H-series and when somebody is standing in the doorway corner the thinner doors don't help either.

I guess it makes sense that the T1s are mechanically sound. They'd been perfecting the design for 30 years (ever since the M1).

Except that mechanically the T1s share absolutely no resemblance to the H- series cars that preceeded them. Structurally, they are basically modified RT75 subway cars just like the H1s, but mechanically they are totally different.

Part of the reason why they are so reliable is because of BBD's attention to them early on. Two trainsets - one of which was shipped back to Thunder Bay for completion - were delivered well over a year prior to entering revenue service. They logged a ton of miles before the first set was accepted by the TTC, and then it ran even more before they accepted the second. Despite this, they did have some minor teething issues, the most major being a software fault that allowed the doors to open while the train was in motion. All of the cars were pulled from service for two days - over a weekend - and BBD developed and installed a fix that allowed a good number to return to service on the Monday.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

That is very interesting Dan, thanks for sharing! Its good that they did so much testing on them, I guess they should've bought more...

The T1s are far more friendly to a packed crowd though. There aren't enough holds on the H-series and when somebody is standing in the doorway corner the thinner doors don't help either.

Absolutely. Whenever I take the subway at rush hour, I have my fingers crossed for a T1.

T1's are so common that I don't think you would really need to wish for one. I also wish for H4's... that's because they're actually more silent and smoother. At least in my experience, plus, their days are numbered.

Also, what do they have planned for the TV screens?

Either syndicated repeats of 'Wheel of Fortune' and 'The Price Is Right' or the Canadian Home Shopping Club. The latter would be provided a captive market for their marketing - something I'm sure they'd be willing to fork over enough money to build an entire new subway station.

Either syndicated repeats of 'Wheel of Fortune' and 'The Price Is Right' or the Canadian Home Shopping Club. The latter would be provided a captive market for their marketing - something I'm sure they'd be willing to fork over enough money to build an entire new subway station.

Advertise on the screens in the subway cars, and then at some stations have little kiosks selling the stuff they were advertising.

Advertise on the screens in the subway cars, and then at some stations have little kiosks selling the stuff they were advertising.

The problem is that most of the shops/kiosks in the station are either a) convenience stores b)selling food and/or c) selling tourist items,and besides who would want to travel to X station to get a cinnabon unless the person is travelling there and wants it

Back