Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

West One has only four (50 storeys, 600+ units)

I hope they're high speed!
I think of the Manulife Apartments which has around the same amount of floors and I believe there are 4 cabs for the lowrise (3rd - 29th floors) and 4 cabs for the highrise (32nd to 50th).

I think it's count down to when the presentation centre opens. Regarding WestOne elevators, it's alright when the elevators work. They go up pretty fast. But it gets crowded when 1-2 of them break down or one breaks down and other is reserved for moving.

Okay, as much as I dig this design, I have to come right out and say it: this project is absolutely inappropriate for this site.

We need something with a big chunky, street-wall-forming podium, just like MLS across the street. York Street down here should be a canyon.

I agree. Unfortunately this is just further indication that the area seems to be developing on a pattern and scale like MCC, and not like the traditional, tried and true, urban patterns we love north of the tracks. Sad, but inevitable I suppose. We talk a lot about the ideals of a return to an integral system of public transit in concert with planning for dense urban development on a human scale yet continue to see a disconnect between those ideals and the development that is emerging. MLS will likely be a more successful node in the area, at least during events, but I'm curious how successfully 'urban' it will be when the arena is dark. I hope I'm completely wrong about this too. There is room in a city for more traditional urban patterns and newer ones to coexist - Paris can accommodate its 'La Defense' after all - so we'll just have to wait and see.

I wouldn't really call the 29th floor of any buiding lowrise. :p

The bottom half of "ghetto" apartments are referred to as the lowrise part of the building, the top section of "elite" apartments is the highrise section.
My place has 4 high speed elevators (400 feet per minute) for 29 floors. There's rarely a wait for an elevator, the way it should be in 2009.
I'm surprised many new highrises seem to have fewer elevators than those built in the 60's & 70's.

Most 60s and 70s buildings are slabs however, with many more units, and therefore occupants needing elevator rides, per floor.

I lived in a 58 Story Building in Australia with only 5 operational elevators. Plus 1 dedicated service elevator. It's fast enough. only 2 elevators for the top 15 floors. And 3 for all the lower 43.

Last edited:
My building is one of those '70's behemoths with 16 suites per floor, 26 levels & 416 suites. Ice has 11 suites per floor, 51 levels for roughly 561 suites with one more elevator than where I live. I guess that works out about right.

I think of the Manulife Apartments which has around the same amount of floors and I believe there are 4 cabs for the lowrise (3rd - 29th floors) and 4 cabs for the highrise

Really? That's a lot for 800 units. Doesn't it include the Panorama shuttle?

The Agliers on Avenue Road is one of the taller and larger buildings with only one elevator (12s, 65u)

Last edited:
Really? That's a lot for 800 units. Doesn't it include the Panorama shuttle?

It's been about 10 years since I've been in there. There are two secure elevator lobbies, the east lobby is for floors 3-29 and the west lobby serves floors 32 to 50. Each lobby definitely has 4 cabs, possibly 5 including a service elevator. The Panorama elevator is an additional lift.

img7310.jpg

City Planning Final Report

Staff report recommending approval for proposed 31-storey office building with a gross floor area of 74,106 square metres, retail area of 1,436 square metres, PATH of 808 square metres, a 65-storey residential condominium building with 687 dwelling units, and a 55-storey residential condominium building with 578 dwelling units, to be considered by Toronto + East York Community Council on April 21, 2009.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-20290.pdf

Back