News   May 03, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 711     0 

Top Ten Things To Do?

jimbogreen

Member Bio
Reaction score
Well I'm due to arrive in Toronto on the 17th August on my working visa (I can't wait!), but I wanted to see what the members of UrbanToronto would recommend I do in my first few weeks in TO.

Now, I've been to Toronto 3 times, but the last time was in 2003, so I'm pretty sure its changed a lot, so your recommendations would be invaluable.

I'm looking for cool places to see (i'm very much into architecture so some great buildings would be good), good places to eat (i'm travelling solo and don't really fancy dining anywhere too nice by myself, so Canoe is out!), some cool places for a coffee and for a drink. Any live music venues (small, not ACC) would be good to check out. Also, is it worth getting a ticket to see the Bills play? I'm really not sure. I want to see the Blue Jays and Toronto FC (see how you guys do it!).

I'm planning a trip to the ROM, and St Lawrence Market looks like my kind of thing, but i'd love to hear your thoughts on Toronto's offerings!

Thanks!

Science Centre
ROM
CN Tower
Baseball Game - Blue Jay's
Toronto Island
Downtown Shopping
Downtown Bars
Cruise @ Lake
Basketball - Raptor's
Concerts - Literally everywhere

Camp 4 on a Saturday night, followed by a stop at the Unlovable bar, perhaps some live music at the Garrison or the Dakota, dinner at the Atlantic, and coffee at Zoot's or the Fountain? All along Dundas St West between Ossington and Dufferin. Do stop in at local Dundas West galleries--Show & Tell, Loop, P/M, Le Gallery and more.

I think you'd enjoy College Street between Bathurst and Shaw on a weekend night, as well as Kensington Market (by day and night.)

For an excellent but cheaper view of the city than the CN tower, grab a slightly over-priced drink at the Park Hyatt roof top lounge at Avenue Rd and Bloor, followed by a walk through the Annex residential streets, making certain to check out both the cool c.1950s-1960s apartment towers lining St George from Dupont to Bloor Street and the University of Toronto stretch, continue down McCaul and go inside Alsop's OCAD addition (nice washrooms on the top floors :)), grab a Mission burrito in Village by the Grange across the street or around the corner in Baldwin Village.

Take the 7 bus north on Bathurst from Bathurst subway station and check out the progression of Toronto apartments--from 1930s brownstones to trippy 1960s modernist towers north of Eglinton. Hike along Eglinton or Roselawn to Yonge St then walk down Yonge to Yorkville (or the lake if you're really hardcore.)

Finally, do check out the eastside--subway to Broadview station, walk along the Danforth then take the Woodbine bus to Queen East--the Beach. Ride the 501 Queen streetcar back west to Trinity Bellwoods park, get a coffee at White Squirrel and spend your afternoon people watching in the park.

Oh, and if you're interested in seeing what Toronto's suburban sprawl looks like, take the GO train to Erindale station, and check out the 1960's Erindale (UTM) campus, and before you head back to downtown via the Burnhamthorpe bus and Bloor subway line, stop and stare at those Absolute(ly) gorgeous twin condo towers under construction--the best-looking highrises this side of Chicago!

Last edited:
As you probably know from your experience here before, because Toronto is a pretty new city, you can't really just visit the tourist sites since there aren't that many of them and the obvious ones are pretty crappy (e.g. CN Tower, Casa Loma etc). Toronto's charm sort of sneaks up of you. The best thing to do is to visit the many little bars and restaurants. You can easily grab a seat at the bar or a little table by yourself (maybe with a book). The Ossington strip between Queen and Dundas has some great quaint and innovative places. Maybe start off by exploring Queen West West with its many art galleries and little boutiques and then end up at Foxley or Union on Ossington.

Queen East (Leslieville) is also becoming a funky place. Again if you don't mind a bt of a walk. You could start the day by exploring the Distillery District. It can be a bit touristy but does have some great old buildings and some decent though pricier galleries. then walk up to Front Street then go east and walk up Gilead Pl (which is where I live) to King St. Walk east along King St and check out some of the little side streets in Corktown (e.g. Bright St). Keep going east across the bridge and you will eventually end up in Leslieville. Lots of innovative restaurants and cool pubs to enjoy there after your long walk.

If you want to experience a different kind of "cool", go to the bar at One in Yorkville. There you'll see 50-60 year old men with their fake tans trying to pick up women (also with fake tans, fake body parts and way too short skirts) who are looking for their sugar daddies and do their best to work what they have (or think they have). I love going there and watching the freak show. It's part of a hotel so there will be a few solo people there sitting at the bar so striking up a conversation shouldn't be difficult.

Guys, legendary stuff. Seriously, what you've given me so far is exactly what i'm looking for. Dundas St W sounds great, and hitting a few bars along College St would be awesome. Likewise, a good Bulleit Bourbon or Manhattan at the Park Hyatt or One checking out the 'entertainment' would be fun! Also, I really love wandering around cities, discovering new little places, so your area advice is invalulable.

Urbandreamer, your architectural tips are really appreciated. Hopefully I can doucment my trips around the city on the 'My Toronto' thread!

Catapult, I think what you said about Toronto's charm sneaking up on you is one of the things I like most about the city...I get the feeling I can walk in pretty much any direction from downtown and find a cool little coffee shop or gallery.

I'll print out this thread before I go, so if anyone sees someone walking around Toronto with a map and and a few sheets of paper looking vaugely lost, it'll probably be me!

Quick side point - am I right in presuming the best Jays game to go and see would be the Yankees? I want to go, but have no real idea about baseball!

Also, has anyone gone to see the Bills play? I've never been to an NFL game and it looks interesting.

Oh, and one last thing (Yes, us Brits do go on a bit!!) - is there a good Toronto/Canadian site for buying gig tickets? Obviously there is ticketmaster, but I was wondering if there was a site for people to sell tickets. I want to see Tom Petty, but i'm hoping to pay less than $100 for a semi-decent seat. I've looked on ebay and all the tickets seem really overpriced.

Thanks!

Hi Jimbo, you're right the city has changed alot since 03. I'd be inclined to act like a real tourist and hop on one of our double decker tourist buses to see all the latest sites. Then I would grab my favourite drink and take the 501 streetcar from end to end. You can pick up a weekly unlimited use TTC pass for $36 for the first week and travel all over the city. People watching cafes and bars would include the Black Bull on Queen West, Cafe Diplomatico on College, Lettieri cafe in Yorkville, One in Yorkville, O'Gradys on Church St and Cafe Volo on Yonge. Spend at least 1 day on Centre Island to get a good look at the new skyline. Cheers.

Quick side point - am I right in presuming the best Jays game to go and see would be the Yankees? I want to go, but have no real idea about baseball!

Also, has anyone gone to see the Bills play? I've never been to an NFL game and it looks interesting.

Oh, and one last thing (Yes, us Brits do go on a bit!!) - is there a good Toronto/Canadian site for buying gig tickets? Obviously there is ticketmaster, but I was wondering if there was a site for people to sell tickets. I want to see Tom Petty, but i'm hoping to pay less than $100 for a semi-decent seat. I've looked on ebay and all the tickets seem really overpriced.

Thanks!

Red Sox and Yankees are the best games to go to. They're big draws.

Also, go to ACC and watch a hockey game. Maple Leafs vs. Canadiens is a big rivalry here, but any game you go to will be a full house though (unlike baseball)

Unless you're watching the Bills in Buffalo, going to a Bills game is a waste of time. It's just not the same watching at Roger Center. I'd pass on that.

A good place to look for tickets is www.craigslist.ca

If you like footy you should go see Toronto FC. Always a good time and the ticket prices are reasonable.

Tickets can also be found on kijiji for concerts and sporting events. Another really good place to get tickets to concerts is Rotate This. When winter comes around and you are interested in seeing a hockey game but don't want to sell your first unborn child to see the Maple Leafs, you can get good cheap tickets to the Toronto Marlies who play at the Richoh Coliseum (Exibition grounds).

While it is still warm when you arrive, you can grab a book and relax at Toronto's newest park, Sugar Beach. You can find a chair to lounge in to read or watch the sugar get loaded/unloaded at Redpath Sugar 30 metres away. Sugar Beach is at Jarvis St and Queen's Quay East. From there you can walk west along Queen's Quay and check out all the stuff that is happening along the waterfront. On the weekends there usually is some sort of event going on at Harbourfront Centre, or you can check out the new wave decks.

I'd probably bring a visitor to grab a bite w/all the taxi drivers at King Palace

Back