News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 325     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 888     0 

Time to increase security at Toronto's Armories?

How about now? Two dead soldiers and one wounded over few days. What's your required body count?

Like I said earlier. We do take appropriate measures. And our Force Protection Level (FPL) has been upped just now.

But, we should keep in mind that this is not just an attack on the military. Shooters could easily target any government or public building anywhere in Canada. Federal and provincial offices, constituency offices, etc. And that's aside from just general public spaces like malls, libraries and community centres.

The crazies might target polling stations on Monday. Best watch out.
Oh good grief. Don't start spreading BS like that. This is how you let terrorist win. You start helping them terrorize people ...

Your not supposed to start making comments like that during a security alert!

Oh good grief. Don't start spreading BS like that. This is how you let terrorist win. You start helping them terrorize people ...

Your not supposed to start making comments like that during a security alert!
BS? If Queens Park is upping defence there's obviously an apparent heightened risk at civilian govt targets. Do what you want but until we know more I'll be watchful when visiting gov't offices, including Monday when voting.

And the terrorist never win in terrorizing us. I certainly don't feel terrorized. We'll forget this by new years, but it's still prudent in my mind to be watchful.

A rare moment where I agree with nfitz.

No need for hysteria.

Rest assured that in light of recent events, authorities will be more alert than usual at election time.

And the terrorist never win in terrorizing us. I certainly don't feel terrorized.
And yet you are spreading terror by suggesting polling places at risk.

Just because you don't feel terrorized you, doesn't mean that the terrorist haven't won, when you are doing their work for them!

My impression of armories in general is that they are already pretty secure, and the biggest risk would be from a compromise of security from the inside. The general public is not the threat. So rather than raise the walls higher, you make them wider. And throw in some hidden moats full of alligators.

My impression of armories in general is that they are already pretty secure, and the biggest risk would be from a compromise of security from the inside. The general public is not the threat. So rather than raise the walls higher, you make them wider. And throw in some hidden moats full of alligators.

Armories are not particularly secure, because there isn't much in them that's particularly sensitive. Weapons lockups are very safe - alarms are wired directly to municipal police forces and weapons/bolts/ammo stored in different locations. Sensitive docs are stored in safes and maybe there will be some mil spec vehicles on site. Other than that, pretty much everything else in an armoury can burn to the ground without a huge consequence.

CP24 @CP24
The TTC says it has “implemented heightened security across the entire transit system” in light of the shootings in Ottawa.

CP24 @CP24
The TTC says it has “implemented heightened security across the entire transit system” in light of the shootings in Ottawa.

Side affect of the "heightened security across the entire transit system" could be a reduction in fare evasion. At least in the short term, depends if they will plan to continue it in some form or other.

Armories are not particularly secure, because there isn't much in them that's particularly sensitive. Weapons lockups are very safe - alarms are wired directly to municipal police forces and weapons/bolts/ammo stored in different locations. Sensitive docs are stored in safes and maybe there will be some mil spec vehicles on site. Other than that, pretty much everything else in an armoury can burn to the ground without a huge consequence.
My original question was more about the safety of the personnel entering, exiting and working at the armories, and less about protecting the bricks and mortar.

My original question was more about the safety of the personnel entering, exiting and working at the armories, and less about protecting the bricks and mortar.

That'd be somewhere between a primary school and a ymca. Nothing special, and nothing to stop a guy with a gun. If the BDF has been activated there could be an armed guard but only at major installations like Denison.

Back