News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 898     0 

Time to increase security at Toronto's Armories?

It's fairly invisible - to the average Joe both armouries are a bit of a mystery. Granted, there are issues around security - but it would be beneficial to have more of a public face to both facilities I think (housing perhaps relatively insensitive uses like regimental libraries/archives, etc.)

AoD

Part of it is security. Would you want random strangers walking through your office any time? Particularly if there are security concerns?

And part of it is history. Many of the regiments in Toronto have a long history in the area. So they tend to have other facilities around town. For example, Casa Loma is the regimental museum of the Queen's Own, I believe. And St. Andrew's Church has the 48th Highlanders museum. The armouries themselves are largely working facilities today. The few historic artefacts that may be in these buildings are largely private to the unit itself.

They do have a mandate for public relations though. More so, than the regular force. So they will tend to host family days, community days, etc. In years past, reservists tended to be active in Toronto events, like the Dragon Boat race. Not sure now.

Part of it is security. Would you want random strangers walking through your office any time? Particularly if there are security concerns?

And part of it is history. Many of the regiments in Toronto have a long history in the area. So they tend to have other facilities around town. For example, Casa Loma is the regimental museum of the Queen's Own, I believe. And St. Andrew's Church has the 48th Highlanders museum. The armouries themselves are largely working facilities today. The few historic artefacts that may be in these buildings are largely private to the unit itself.

They do have a mandate for public relations though. More so, than the regular force. So they will tend to host family days, community days, etc. In years past, reservists tended to be active in Toronto events, like the Dragon Boat race. Not sure now.

Of course, it will take capital funds to modify these properties to serve any such dual functions (and CF have other fishes to fry). That said, I think an increased profile is ultimately beneficial to recruitment and funding. I am just thinking how the new Fort York Visitor Centre can bring attention to the armoury next door, for example.

AoD

Of course, it will take capital funds to modify these properties to serve any such dual functions (and CF have other fishes to fry). That said, I think an increased profile is ultimately beneficial to recruitment and funding. I am just thinking how the new Fort York Visitor Centre can bring attention to the armoury next door, for example.

AoD

Haven't been to the Fort York visitor centre, but I do know at the fort in Quebec City they have panels on the regiments that operate there. I'll have to visit sometime and see how it is here.

I don't want to sound all "hysterical", but the radical lone wolf scenario is a real thing and I suspect we'll be seeing more and more of it in North America, UK and Europe in time to come.

https://news.yahoo.com/uniformed-canadian-soldier-shot-at-ottawa-war-memorial-140825845.html

None of the candidates would discuss terrorism at last night's debate. Now this happens...

Lots of poster on Huffington Post going on about how this is a false flag operation. Disgusting.

In any event, still no reason to panic. Terrorism requires a police and security response with the military playing a supporting role. For the topic at hand, it's good to have the few facilities we have in Toronto, so that we can support a response were such events to happen in Toronto.

My office has CNN on. I heard someone say, "oh great another shooting in America" Oh fuck it's in Ottawa!!

2 or 3 gunmen involved. Another terrorist attack. I think now there will be major security changes in Toronto at all landmarks, tourist attractions and government buildings.

Last edited:
Soldier, security guard shot in Parliament Hill attack

A Canadian soldier and a security guard were shot in Ottawa.

See link.

A gunman opened fire at the National War Memorial, wounding a soldier, then moved to nearby Parliament Hill and wounded a security guard before he was shot, reportedly by Parliament's sergeant-at-arms.

We've largely been lucky that the RCMP and CSIS have been able to catch most terror threats in this country. And to some extent this has made Canadians complacent. Many simply believe that it can't happen here...

Hopefully this prompts some rethink, without overreaction.

This seems very similar to the Mumbai attacks or the post-Boston marathon suspect chase.

Awful news:

TorontoStar ‏@TorontoStar 1m1 minute ago
#BREAKING Minister of Employment Jason Kenney confirms the soldier shot in Ottawa is dead http://on.thestar.com/1nz5osN

Apparently retracted. The soldier is wounded not killed.

Apparently confirmed again.

AoD

Last edited:
Pertinent to this thread is that the corporal who was shot is a reservist - so one of the people who trains at a city armoury and has a day job doing something else. He's probably a university student doing the gig for a day's pay.

Sentry duty is a pretty exposed job. The C7s aren't loaded and they don't wear any Kevlar. The sentries have a "minder" to keep the sentries safe but there's not much to do other than shoo away the odd crazy person. Wonder if the new protocol will be that the minder has to be armed, or more likely they will post a cop to keep an eye on things.

Last edited:

Back