News   May 14, 2024
 149     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 307     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 1.1K     1 

The USA-Canada Border: Passports needed for all after June 1st?

Interesting US-Canada border crossing info and websites...

Everyone: I checked into border crossing info today and I came up with the following web addresses:
http://www.cbp.gov/ For US Customs and Border Patrol info.
www.getyouhome.gov for the WHTI regulations concerning border crossings effective June 1st.
www.travel.state.gov for US Passport Card information.
With these new rules and regulations looming little more then a week away everyone be advised and be ready!

I searched for and found info on Canada's Border Services Agency and the NEXUS card they issue and I found info for Ontario MTO that is helpful.

Enhanced Drivers Licenses are a help here-but they will NOT be accepted on airline flights between the US and Canada.
LI MIKE

Last edited:
June 1st is here-is everyone ready for the new Border rules?

Everyone: Now that June 1st is here is everyone trying to be in compliance with the new rules concerning crossing the US-Canada border?
I looked at news reports and for the most part things look to be going smoothly in most places.
Border guards are allowing some leeway for compliance - good news with the Summer tourist season starting the new rules will gradually be eased into place over the next few months.
I looked up and found this Canada border info:
www.cbsa.gc.ca For the Canada Border Services Agency
www.nexus.gc.ca For NEXUS card info
www.serviceontario.ca For Ontario Enhanced Drivers License and other MTO info.
Let's all see how this pans out...LI MIKE

US-Canada Border Crossing MIS-INFORMATION!

Everyone: After looking at some news reports on how the new border crossing rules are being implemented along with a grace period for at least the 2009 Summer Season to get into compliance it makes me wonder how many people have been mis-informed by the Media into thinking that ONLY a passport would be accepted for US-Canada border crossings and that travelers would perhaps hit a "brick wall" of rigid enforcement and regulations.

The reason I asked the original passport question is because some media reported that ONLY passports would be accepted after June 1st - in fact a local news channel here on LI who did a travelogue on Canadian destinations just a couple of weeks ago stressed just that to those who watched it.

Those who live or are in close contact with the border have been informed about the new rules for more then a year compared with those who do not travel outside the US or live in proximity to a border area.

I now know about the accepted documents other than a passport-after reading that areas of NYS like the Buffalo/Niagara region have given the NYSDMV brisk business in ordering compliant enhanced drivers licenses.

A NYS Enhanced License makes perfect sense for NYS residents because of the numerous US-Canada border crossings Upstate and having the USA's largest city - NYC - and its metropolitan area Downstate.

From the media reports I have read I now wonder if there are US residents that are hesitant or canceling plans to visit Canada due to just being mis-informed.

I feel that again one of the World's most friendliest borders should be kept as user-friendly as it can be but it may not be possible anymore.

Thoughts and opinions from Long Island Mike

Last edited:
People will get used to it. The enhanced driver's licences are a good alternative for people that reguarly drive to the US. They'll gain popularity over time and it'll nullify some of the impacts of the 'thicker' border.

I'd prefer to see something other than an enhanced driver's license, and an alternative to a passport. The first should not be employed as some form of universal identification - as operating a motor vehicle should not be a requirement to acquire a form of cross-border identification. A passport, while quite valid, can be a little cumbersome to carry around all the time (and expensive). And nobody runs around with a borderline-useless birth certificate either.

It'd be nice if the aversion to some form of straight-forward common and secure national identification would be overcome.

Hydrogen,

The best I can think of would be to re-jig the SIN card as national ID system, with biometrics and pictures and include status (student permit holder, permanent resident, citizen, etc). However, I don't know how well this would sell. I wonder if the public might have qualms about privacy if that kind of ID system would be implemented. It's common in many parts of the world, but not something Canadians are used to.

Hydrogen,

The best I can think of would be to re-jig the SIN card as national ID system, with biometrics and pictures and include status (student permit holder, permanent resident, citizen, etc). However, I don't know how well this would sell. I wonder if the public might have qualms about privacy if that kind of ID system would be implemented. It's common in many parts of the world, but not something Canadians are used to.

I like this idea. We should also have a card in place for non-residents (ie. those on work visa's etc) that can serve as official identification while they're here. I have one in Korea and it's much better than dragging my passport around.

Hydrogen,

I don't think we would even require the SIN number. The card could be blatant. Simply call it a National Identification Card, or Passport Card, and have it contain enough information in order to stand as valid international identification.

The purpose of the card is to identify the person. There is no need to link it to other data other than the what the passport links to. The paper passport is actually something of a relic.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just can the border completely?

It may be cheaper, but how much of our sovereignty are you willing to give up in that bargain? I don't want our immigration and visitor entry policies being dictated by Washington.

I don't think we would even require the SIN number. The card could be blatant. Simply call it a National Identification Card, or Passport Card, and have it contain enough information in order to stand as valid international identification.

The purpose of the card is to identify the person. There is no need to link it to other data other than the what the passport links to. The paper passport is actually something of a relic.

Good points. One solution could be to give every Canadian a citizenship card regardless of whether you were born here or naturalized.

That's a perfect example of what could (should) be done.

An "enhanced" Citizenship card for every citizen in the country.

It's just too silly that a license to drive a car has become a primary source of identification for so many people.

Back