News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 537     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
I haven't had the chance to take pictures yet, but I earnestly entreat anyone who still thinks this project has any merit to a) walk into the "atrium" doors off of Dundas, and then b) look up. Two stories above you: a corrugated metal roof. It's unbelievable.

This is the worst building in Toronto.

OK- I wish to confirm: The property owners of where Toronto Life Square sits had their property expropriated by the city. The business owners in those expropriated buildings approached city hall with their own plan to improve Dundas Square. The city was not interested as the city wanted to get going on this millenium project. Instead of listing to the businessmen, landlords and property owners, the city disdargerded them and the result, the 'Father knows best' city destroyed a vibrant instruction for about ten years and the end result is garbage. Who would have figured?

Yes, the architecture would not matter if it were completely covered in ads. It then wouldn't look TOO BAD.
As long as they didn't have those big ugly frames around the ads like they do now. Those frames help make this even uglier.

It just kind of ticks me off when I think of the possibilities that this space could have been used for.

I'm just generally disappointed with this.

Not only does the basic building suck, they didn't even bother to hide that fact by using flashy, distracting ads. Instead we have this beige blight, covered in ads which wouldn't look out of place in a co-ed dorm bathroom.

I know, I know - the ads will generally be replaced over time - but why should it be that way? Hell, the basic shell shouldn't even be there - I've seen more graceful grain elevators than what we currently being presented with at Yonge and Dundas.

I'm with SNF on this one: this thing is definitely sub-par.

As someone mentioned though, probably just a matter of time until a real developer takes the thing off of PenIniquity's hands and spruces it up.

Yes this building will get better over time. ( Don't hate, the building still has another 7 months of work until its totally complete) I stand by all my previous post irregardless of those members who disagree with me. And hey, disagreeing, whining and bitching about projects is what this forum is all about !!! :)

And trust me Metropolis is far better than the crap that was standing there 12 years ago. Do you guys remember?...the Old 40's style Bakery, the Harvey's, and the Flea Market Mall contraption...give me a break!

And trust me Metropolis is far better than the crap that was standing there 12 years ago.

Yes, it's "better", but having to expropriate property for this piece of sh*t, in addition to all these years of suffering through degraded public realm? I certainly didn't think it was a good reason now.

AoD

Yes, PenEquity will not be the role model for City development when this project finally completes. And like others have stated, we can only hope that a company in the retail management industry takes the reigns on this property at some point down the line. If that happens then we could certainly look forward to seeing exterior improvements with the building that would appease some of the members here.

Yes, it's "better", but having to expropriate property for this piece of sh*t, in addition to all these years of suffering through degraded public realm? I certainly didn't think it was a good reason now.

AoD

Amen, brother. My anger is really directed at Kyle Rae and City Hall for not doing their due diligence. They should have realized that PenEquity had zero experience in this type of development.

Amen, brother. My anger is really directed at Kyle Rae and City Hall for not doing their due diligence. They should have realized that PenEquity had zero experience in this type of development.

I wonder why a company with retail management experience didn't put in a bid for the project...?

Maybe PenEquity was the only bidder with the backing to complete the project, even though they had no expertise in this field????....I wasn't keeping abreast on the details when the project was tendered as I would have been in high school or beginning university at the time.

AoD

Its a movie dodechaplex and a food court. What were you expecting? The Morgan Library?

Yes, PenEquity will not be the role model for City development when this project finally completes. And like others have stated, we can only hope that a company in the retail management industry takes the reigns on this property at some point down the line. If that happens then we could certainly look forward to seeing exterior improvements with the building that would appease some of the members here.

Even if another company did take over the property (which is unlikely) there is no money to be made improving the exterior of a new building. It is what it is. As someone so aptly stated a few hundred posts back, "cheese is cheese".

AP:

Err, Eaton Centre class architecture (as ho-hum as it is), instead of a barn or industrial shack? It isn't like I am expecting a Renzo Piano for this one.

AoD

Even if another company did take over the property (which is unlikely) there is no money to be made improving the exterior of a new building. It is what it is. As someone so aptly stated a few hundred posts back, "cheese is cheese".

Well the cost of improving the exterior signage should be borne by the advertisers. In the end, its for their benefit anyways, and this is very likely in the future.

AP:

Err, Eaton Centre class architecture (as ho-hum as it is), instead of a barn or industrial shack? It isn't like I am expecting a Renzo Piano for this one.

AoD

The Eaton Centre is the poster child for building evolution. Whether the evolution is for better or worse is a totally subjective matter.

They should have realized that PenEquity had zero experience in this type of development.

PenEquity is one of the larger retail investment companies out there ... hardly one with little or no experience.

While I understand the frustration with respect to the garbage that has been built and the time it has taken , it really is only a small part of the overall concept and ten years wait isn't really that long for a commerical project of this scale in this city.

The city is fully to blame for its inablity to have the hoarding removed and a temporary use setup for the site (a paved lot for street vendors?)

Back