News   May 17, 2024
 182     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 634     1 
News   May 16, 2024
 888     1 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Regarding the Bangkok photos. I agree it doesn't look lively and urban. I don't think a place can be too clean though. I think the problem is that it looks too institutional and non-pedestrian in scale. Having large areas of marble sidewalks set back from a road with one heck of a lot of lanes only looks pedestrian in scale when there are kiosks, tables, chairs, and of course people filling up that space. It looks pretty dead.

Bangkok is a very fast growing city, and there are lots of people everywhere in the city. There are often stalls -- all over the city. I believe this is the shopping centre just north of two 5 star hotels, and the area where the photo was taken is the centre of where the New Years celebrations take place.

Bangkok's economy has gone through several cycles, including fast growth and the crash of 1995? when almost everything stopped dead. You will still see some buildings that were under construction at that time -- not finished - just standing there. Basically when you stop building a building part way through - you cannot finish it later - it has to be demolished and a new building put up. It costs money to bring demolish buildings - so they stand there until new building plans are drawn up for that lot. Thailand has typically been a very agricultural society and Bangkok has grown up mostly in the last 30 years. There are ultra-new - really nice buildings -- and there are buildings that are older and utilitarian. There is no lack of life in the streets.

It is nice to have a few squares and maybe a nice park (Bangkok does have some nice parks) - but really, I like cities where people are living. They are not always the most polished - with fountains, and decorative.... they are where people live, where you have good food (variety), entertainment, shopping. It is one reason why I like Toronto - it is not necessarily the most beautiful - or "cultural" -- but it is a great city to live.

I don't think they took it down. I think they just started placed ads over top.

Funny that the highly visible 2nd floor "nose" of Metropolis overlooking Dundas Square and Victoria Street is the FS employee lunchroom.

That is indeed very odd. At the least, they should cover the nose in a vinyl wraparound ad since what's beyond those windows are of no concern to the public.

Maybe they could use that space for special merchandise, like professional equipment. I don't know the configuration of the floor too well, but I'm sure they could have built a staff room behind a drywall partition and used this highly visible space for retail.

2026958866_a026d1e7e3_b.jpg

Also strange is that such a large store has a tiny entrance. I know there is interior access but for Yonge st., a single turning door seems highly insufficient.

Strange is that such a large store has a tiny entrance. I know there is interior access but for Yonge st., a single turning door seems highly insufficient.

It makes perfect sense if you are a security guard trying to keep an eye on everyone coming and going.

Notice that the Canadian Tire nearby has very small entrances and guards at each. I guess the chains assume that because it's downtown, the place is crawling with shoplifters, which apparently do not exist in the suburban locations where I see wide entrances and little visible security.

Good point, but with such a large space for their entrance, they could have put in two tiered automatic sliding doors.

Thieves trying to run through would have to stop for the door to open, then stop again for the next one to open.

Revolving doors are more environmentaly responsibile than sliding doors. With a revolving door, only a small amount of heated or cooled air gets out. With regular doors, or sliding doors, you loose a lot more.

Revolving doors are so practical. I considered having one installed in my bedroom earlier this year, when I had the new floors done, but there wasn't enough room.

"roflmao"

Sir Novelty, Your post made me laugh so hard then even after reading this form faithfully for over a year, it was enough to make me register (which i have not until just now) JUST so I could tell you how extremely amusing I found your last post to be. That says alot.

I, however, am disturbed by the overt sexual reference contained in said post, and am canceling my subscription. Think of the few remaining Tories in town!

A, but the genius is that, those who should not be exposed to said sexual references would find such a poetic retort transparent and meaningless, maybe you should nominate sir novelty a moderator! He has been knighted already... ;)

I can attest to the practicality of sliding doors also, my room does happen to include one of these, and it's true, it takes longer for people to escape.

cheers

An equestrian sculpture of Mayor William Lyon Mackenzie, shown leading Torontonians down Yonge Street in the 1837 Rebellion, would make an appropriate public statue - after all, his house is just around the corner at 82 Bond Street.

"To die fighting for freedom is truly glorious. Who would live and die a slave? Come if you dare, here goes! Rise Canadians!" he challenged the government of Upper Canada.

I think that would be amazing for Nathan Philips Square.

I agree with others that some modern art would fit in very well with DS.

Back