News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 320     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 875     0 

The Shell Oil Tower

Shell didn't even have their logo or name on it! That would never happen today.

Though the 60s digital pre-Bulova version did incorporate "shells" on its narrow sides--and of course, that was "Shell red"...

The things that are now gone were modern in their day - I think it'd be great to see them back in different, current incarnations. Some kick-ass new roller coasters, an expanded, unexpectedly interesting skyride (over to Toronto island? Along Harbourfront?), and a new tower as a focal point to orient the boulevard, with a standout new design.

DSC07951.jpg

ot: Is that Beetlejuice on the right of the picture? Holy! :-|

No offence to those who are advocating to rebuild this, but it is kind of ugly. How about we build something similar but nicer?

It's part of the urban cultural landscape (like the spinning neon records at Sam's), or at least it was and it doesn't have to be 'pretty', although in a certain way it is. I remember it as the Bulova Tower too, as in 'meet me at the Bulova Tower'. It's funny the collective memories attached to a place, a sure indication to me that something is worth saving.

Isn't there a similar tower in Niagara Falls? Not sure if it's still there, or at least I don't know where to find it. Marilyn Monroe climbed it in the movie.

I'm not part of the Shell Oil Tower generation, but the debate over whether to rebuild it or not brings an interesting question... in 50 years or 100 years down the road, will we be calling for the preservation of Toronto Life Square and the Dundas Square media towers because they were "part of the urban cultural landscape"? I bet they will be.

Isn't there a similar tower in Niagara Falls?

The design reminds me of the Prospect Point tower on the US side of the falls.

nyobservationtower_small.jpg

interesting topic... yes I too remember this landmark from my youth when we religiously attended the CNE every August. I think its a fabulous idea to bring it back. Must agree that the CNE has lost much of its charm over the years. As much as I like the new BMO Field, things just dont seem the same without the old Grandstand and even that cheesy Sports Hall of Fame!!!! Thanks to Juncionist and Tuscani especially for the vintage photos you posted... take me there now, the world seemed so much simpler then!

Beautiful though those timeless Golden Section proportions were - and especially powerful in the service of boldly Modernist form - perhaps the Shell Tower is nonetheless more powerful as a symbol than as a rebuilt object?

We can mourn the loss of Shell, and the Bata Headquarters, but still admire those that remain - such as the TD Centre. We can also celebrate a strong continuity with Toronto's Modernist past by recognizing it in the work of our leading neo-Modernists today. It is a living language of expression, and what our leading contemporary architects are doing today is a link with it, despite a brief flirtation with PoMo in the '80s and a few faux monstrosities today.

Isn't rebuilding akin to facadism - a weak and unsatisfying approach?

Well, barit, I enjoyed the tower while it was here as much as anyone else. But I think we have to accept that - at a certain point in our history - the route of an auto race counted for more than an important example of our design history did.

Of course that says something about power and money. But maybe it also says something about the time lag between when a significant building is designed and when it becomes a treasured landmark.

Maybe it says something about the inability to distinguish between what is in fashion/out of fashion and what has an architectural importance that transcends fashion. The Shell Tower was right in the middle of that 25 to 50 year zone of vulnerability - the Dead Zone - when nasty things can easily happen to nice buildings.

Beautiful though those timeless Golden Section proportions were - and especially powerful in the service of boldly Modernist form - perhaps the Shell Tower is nonetheless more powerful as a symbol than as a rebuilt object?

We can mourn the loss of Shell, and the Bata Headquarters, but still admire those that remain - such as the TD Centre. We can also celebrate a strong continuity with Toronto's Modernist past by recognizing it in the work of our leading neo-Modernists today. It is a living language of expression, and what our leading contemporary architects are doing today is a link with it, despite a brief flirtation with PoMo in the '80s and a few faux monstrosities today.

Isn't rebuilding akin to facadism - a weak and unsatisfying approach?

In general, if a building is rebuilt closely at the original site, it's not that unsatisfactory. I find that the original always has more appeal, but if it's a close replica I can still appreciate the beauty of the design.

How we treat our postmodern architectural heritage is going to be interesting, since it hasn't been that long since the movement took off in the city and already architects are showing interest in the modernist movement again. Yet postmodernism had a profound effect on our culture as well.

What post-Modern built heritage?

Mississauga City Hall is the only small blip on the radar that denotes the brief appearance of PoMo hereabouts that I can think of.

Back