News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 898     0 

The seemingly terminal decline of Tim Hortons

Let the province and the municipality pay for the installation of CTC and upgrade the track to standard.

On another note.

There's only 3 certain things in life: death, taxes, and Tim's expanding to new countries seemingly every year!
Well, we're just one country and there's only so much we can do to further the cause; although it seems Quebec and BC aren't pulling their weight.

Overall I haven't been there in ages except when I'm in a pinch, but the things I really notice about Tim's in recent years is that:

- Many of them are critically understaffed (often with a few beleaguered TFW Indians/Filipinos), and service times are much worse than McDonald's.
- The interior decor is atrocious, who likes brown and beige on brown?
- The sandwiches are often no good (and tiny!), though the farmer's wrap is ok.
- The Iced Capp is thankfully the same as I have always remembered it. Barely coffee, but comforting
- With the app and the offers, the drinks and breakfast sandwiches are at least somewhat competitive with McDonald's.

- Many of them are critically understaffed (often with a few beleaguered TFW Indians/Filipinos), and service times are much worse than McDonald's

This is actually quite true. The Tims by my place usually has several people working the drive thru and none on the cash. I have had to wait a few minutes before someone came over and only after I shouted at the them to remind them I was there.

I actually thought they forgot about me.

- The interior decor is atrocious, who likes brown and beige on brown?

I do not mind the current decor. It was much more bland in the 1990s. Red on Beige!

- The sandwiches are often no good (and tiny!), though the farmer's wrap is ok.

If you are going to Tims for the food I question your tastes. Tim's food has been crap ever since they invented the bread bowl.

- The Iced Capp is thankfully the same as I have always remembered it. Barely coffee, but comforting

This is the one thing that never changed about Tims though if you want a decent iced coffee go to Starbucks.

- With the app and the offers, the drinks and breakfast sandwiches are at least somewhat competitive with McDonald's.

I find the app to be mediocre. They never have anything of any value on the app.

This is actually quite true. The Tims by my place usually has several people working the drive thru and none on the cash. I have had to wait a few minutes before someone came over and only after I shouted at the them to remind them I was there.
Tim's is facing the same staffing challenges as most of the erst of the service industry, but the situation you describe is a long-standing corporate decision. They've been favouring the drive-through (which is more charitable way of saying largely ignoring walk-in traffic) for years.

The app's bonus discounts used to be OK, but in the past year (or slightly more?) it's been pretty crap, and I don't even look at it anymore.

The app's bonus discounts used to be OK, but in the past year (or slightly more?) it's been pretty crap, and I don't even look at it anymore.

The app is just purely garbage and not user-friendly! I honestly sometime give up getting the discount or deal item cuz the app is just garbage.

I do not mind the current decor. It was much more bland in the 1990s. Red on Beige!

I don't think you're old enough to remember yellow and brown as the interior colour scheme. Ugh; in that regard, Tim's has actually improved; its just not enough of a gain to offset bad food, bad coffee and bad service.

If you are going to Tims for the food I question your tastes. Tim's food has been crap since forever

Fixed that for ya.

* Ok, in fairness, the doughnuts were once edible, a very long time ago.............

This is the one thing that never changed about Tims though if you want a decent iced coffee go to Starbucks.

Disagree. Not in defense of Tim's........... but to clarify, Starbucks is every bit as a awful.

Last edited:
I don't think you're old enough to remember yellow and brown as the interior colour scheme. Ugh; in that regard, Tim's has actually improved; its just not enough of a gain to offset bad food, bad coffee and bad service.

Fixed that for ya.

* Ok, in fairness, the doughnuts were once edible, a very long time ago.............

Disagree. Not in defense of Tim's........... but to clarity, Starbucks is every bit as a awful.
I tried a local, in-house attempt on the iced capp at Petti in the Junction a couple of months ago - now that was phenomenal!

Back