News   May 08, 2024
 356     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 848     3 
News   May 08, 2024
 502     0 

The Met + Encore at The Met (Edilcan, 43 + 33s, P+S) COMPLETE

Are you suggesting that moderators censor Urban Shockers posts because you disagree with his point of view?

If you like the buildings in question, enjoy them. They are built.

No, it's not a question of censoring, it's a question of moderating discussion. The threads have topics, and it's always the same off-topic posts being made from the same poster. There is another forum here for architectural issues, and I don't see why he can't go and make a thread over there instead of derailing all of the threads in this forum.

CanadianNational, your post is probably one of the best posts ever written on this board.

To argue that a 'curve' carries any less weight, importance, artistry or creative imagination than any other line or shape or flourish, is so nakedly absurb on its surface, as to not even warrent a well written rebuttal...but points for taking the time anyhow.

If my memory serves me correctly, some of Le Corbusier's most revolutionary and intellectually challenging works had a curve or two. Thus, even the most doctrinair modernist should appreciate what the uneducated common masses seem to take such pleasure in.

And with computer assisted drafting and engineering, we are only beginning to see the populist and 'tiresome' curve express itself (Gehry just got the ball rolling). Hardly predictable.

Great post by CN...a modern city with only one style of architecture would be impoverished indeed...

Sometimes Shocker posts some things which are, frankly, shocking...to suggest that a building designed with curves is some kind of "fallback trickery", and a sign of "design laziness", is so absurd as to be laughable. Seriously.

What a great debate! We're all different and our tastes vary, otherwise it would be too boring in this world. Let's put it this way: The Met and Encore have a curvy side and a square side, so they can appeal to everybody, to those who love the curves and to those who find them "tiresome". I love my future home, curves and all, and I'm glad that it's causing this debate. People are noticing it! Here are some pictures taken this past Saturday. Hope you guys like them!!!

P1040466.jpg

P1040465.jpg

P1040458.jpg

P1040456.jpg

P1040453.jpg

P1040452.jpg

alklay appears to think that it has been claimed that 'a curve carries less weight, importance, artistry or creative imagination than any other line or shape or flourish'. Who has claimed that? The powerful appeal of a few curved buildings, in a city full of box-shaped buildings, is clearly reflected in the response to them - on this thread and others. As I've said, I adore curves. They are morally neutral. The question is, as always, with issues of originality and quality.

If the topic of this thread is the twin peaks of the Met, then the source of their bodacious appeal is a legitimate subject for discussion. One doesn't need to preach a tangential potted history of Modernism to stick to the subject at hand - the Met.

Quality is what counts. Gehry's vast, curved glass front to the new AGO billows like a huge sail, has ribs of wood like a ship's hull, and reflects the content of that part of the building - Ken Thomson's ship models that will be housed just inside - and is a work of art in itself. Though curves in the Met are also an easy sell, they don't automatically garner such critical acclaim or reflect much design significance however.

Deconstructing the design language used in buildings, understanding why some of those buildings work and some don't, and seeking visual literacy is no different from questioning anything else we're spoonfed in life.

I find that the majority of builders do paint the underside of balconies. But I agree, it looks so much better when they are painted. West 1 is a good example of where they needed to paint the underside of the balconies. The lack of paint is very prominent where that lobby-area is halfway up on the east side.

Am I the only one wondering why Urban Shocker remains permitted to hijack every thread for use as his own personal soapbox? It's pedantic, pretentious, and way off-topic, and yet it's tolerated by the moderators. Why?

It looks like people are having a discussion to me, and I've certainly seen more unpleasant 'discussions' on this forum so I don't see what the problem is now. Although I don't have much to contribute, I do enjoy reading what people have to say (unless the conversation sways back to penises and/or how the condo market is going to crash and we'll all be able to buy 2 bedroom condos for $200,000).

Back