News   May 01, 2024
 38     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 243     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 868     0 

The Junction

So I was checking out the area recently at night and I saw the Channel Zero studio in operation with nice big windows (East side of Keele and Dundas)...seemed really cool, sort of like snooping on City Tv or something. Was this operation (Channel Zero) always here? I guess this renovation was in the works for a while?

Does anyone know if they are tearing down the original building for the Runnymede Health Care Centre?

Last I saw, metal fencing was around it, and they may have been tearing down the power plant part of it...

Ok for this post I'm reaching towards the knowledge of Old Old Old School Junctionians. Being interested in the History of the Junction, I purchased the amazing book "The Leader and Recorder: History of the Junction" (available at the Library on Annette & heavily recommended!) a while ago. And something I was always wondering about was this image that I took a pic from said book:

jmav.jpg

According to the notes in the book, its a pic of:

"The West End Theatre/ formerly 'the Mavety'" on 215 Mavety St in 1954. Toronto Reference Library.

Ok look at the first name presented on display in that pic... My question is related to what I've heard of the history of the Junction regarding "theatres". I was born more than a few years after that era, so I'm not sure what a "theatre" back then entails. Was there film technology, or were these live viewings? Its funny I planned on posting on this for a while and JUST noticed the "Adult Entertainment" tag on the bottom level display, lol had no idea Sex was invented back then. :p But seriously:

What's with the Sinatra label thing???

He didn't play there did he?

The reason I'm asking is because there once was a short blip in Eye Weekly mentioning that in reference to the Junction, Ella Fitzgerald and Dizzy Gellespit were there at one point. (source: http://www.eyeweekly.com/features/article/38498)
I can't believe this and personally think it's awesome, but where could I verify something like this? again was Frank Sinatra ever performing at the Junction in person. More importantly did Ella and Dizzy ever perform in the Junction or just chill even for 5 seconds? Sounds too cool to be true.

Insights appreciated.

ps: I looked at the location of 215 Mavety St on google street maps...obviously the original theatre was torn down?

Last edited:
Ok for this post I'm reaching towards the knowledge of Old Old Old School Junctionians. Being interested in the History of the Junction, I purchased the amazing book "The Leader and Recorder: History of the Junction" (available at the Library on Annette & heavily recommended!) a while ago. And something I was always wondering about was this image that I took a pic from said book:

According to the notes in the book, its a pic of:

"The West End Theatre/ formerly 'the Mavety'" on 215 Mavety St in 1954. Toronto Reference Library.

Ok look at the first name presented on display in that pic... My question is related to what I've heard of the history of the Junction regarding "theatres". I was born more than a few years after that era, so I'm not sure what a "theatre" back then entails. Was there film technology, or were these live viewings? Its funny I planned on posting on this for a while and JUST noticed the "Adult Entertainment" tag on the bottom level display, lol had no idea Sex was invented back then. :p But seriously:

What's with the Sinatra label thing???

He didn't play there did he?

The reason I'm asking is because there once was a short blip in Eye Weekly mentioning that in reference to the Junction, Ella Fitzgerald and Dizzy Gellespit were there at one point. (source: http://www.eyeweekly.com/features/article/38498)
I can't believe this and personally think it's awesome, but where could I verify something like this? again was Frank Sinatra ever performing at the Junction in person. More importantly did Ella and Dizzy ever perform in the Junction or just chill even for 5 seconds? Sounds too cool to be true.

Insights appreciated.

ps: I looked at the location of 215 Mavety St on google street maps...obviously the original theatre was torn down?

i don't know anything about the history of the area or theatre; however, a quick google search indicates "Tender Trap" was a movie that came out in 1955 and starred Frank Sinatra geared to adults vs. children's movie ...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048705/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tender_Trap_(film)

Of course, here's another example of so-called c1955 "adult entertainment" starring Sinatra
144030the-man-with-the-golden-arm-posters.jpg

I think the theatre was torn down shortly thereafter; it's where that yellow brick thing N of the police station is, I believe...

That's too bad.
Hmm maybe keep the decorations inside and make it a bar...could be like a Pee Wee's Playhouse Theme! But seriously best of luck to the former owners in their future endeavours.

I like its location though, and depending on whatever the next type of business is in that spot, it could be quite lucrative as it's steps away from the upcoming condos.

What do people think would be a good venture here? We've already got quite a few food spots, cafes, design/antique stores, organic spots....

Please dont let Starbucks swoop in lol...it would actually be perfect for them. Oh, oh, make it a sushi place! The Junction soooo needs a sushi spot.

^Thank god! I was at the Lil' Bean cafe in Leslieville NY's eve and must say their concept is way beyond Gingerbread's--much better coffee, snacks etc. And much busier, funkier designed space etc.

A cafe may work here--but even a chain restaurant would be better than failed business. Junction: did the owner lose lotsa money in her venture?

Little Fish update: it's been open since 11 November 2009, today I popped by for an amazingly spicy Mexican hot chocolate. And their coffee is better (and cheaper) than Crema across the street.:)

Back