News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 351     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 911     1 

The Junction

Yes I do. I agree...a building like that would be great. But, I guess there isn't a market for those kinds of properties in this area (yet). Also, maybe a building of this size isn't worth it for a developer...and then there is the problem of getting financing.

But back to the car wash:

Forget that it will be an eyesore just like other THREE neighbouring car washes. It will also offer no employment in the neighbourhood. We'll have to contend with noise (will it run 24 hours?), idling cars (pollution) and more traffic. This section of Dundas is already dangerous given all of the cars...now we'll have multiple vehicles coming and going from the lot.

I was thinking recently, given that the Junction seems to be an "up and coming area", and the trend of condos these days, besides the "Village by High Park" project on Heinztman, what other sections of the Junction would be feasible for a condo project? i'm thinking the old Mcbride is out of the running because of the limitations on height. So what's left?

Also, I was curious about what other areas in Toronto are comparable to the Junction. By comparable, I mean near the city, old architecture, suburb feel in some ways and with vicinities to "greeness"? Leslieville comes to mind...well minus the greeness...and perhaps architecture?

Also, I was curious about what other areas in Toronto are comparable to the Junction. By comparable, I mean near the city, old architecture, suburb feel in some ways and with vicinities to "greeness"? Leslieville comes to mind...well minus the greeness...and perhaps architecture?

Kingston Road, around Victoria Park is kind of like the Junction. There's even the streetcar still running through it to give that urban feel. No Victorian houses though afaik.

Last edited:
Oh, Shawn's talking about my new favourite street, Hook Avenue, where it hooks around towards that cruddy Coffee Time frequented by cab drivers waiting for their cars to be repaired next door. Check out Structure at 18 Hook--very cool building/companies there. Around the corner from Hook on Dundas, Cool Hand of a Girl makes the best tacos this side of Oregon. In fact, CHG is probably the coolest cafe this side of Ballard! Then there's a Mexican restaurant under new management just east of Keele @Dundas, Saturday nights it is packed with latinos--a sign the place is damn good--gotta check it out someday soon.

Gingerbread Cafe on the otherhand? Poo, and I'm playing a big part soon in revamping the joint.

edit: Will take photos 2morrow to show y'all why da Hookers prefer Hook Av! :p

Sungs, re: where else would condos work in the Junction? Just east of Hook on north side of Dundas, there's 2-3 poopy buildings that could be knocked down. Also, the Coffee Time and the lot across the street could handle some cool red brick loft buildings. Towards Runnymede, there's more crappy buildings/lots that could handle some density.

Last edited:
I was thinking recently, given that the Junction seems to be an "up and coming area", and the trend of condos these days, besides the "Village by High Park" project on Heinztman, what other sections of the Junction would be feasible for a condo project? i'm thinking the old Mcbride is out of the running because of the limitations on height. So what's left?

There are a lot of sites suited to midrise buildings. McBride is definitely in the running for 7 storeys perhaps. It wouldn't be the first time: look at Dundas and Clendenan for a good example of what would be great for that site, midrise residential with retail at street level. Also, the SW corner of Dundas and Annette is an underused gas station and garage, and the site could be combined with the Active Green + Ross.

Then on Keele, north of Dundas there are parking lots and empty lots on the west side and that self-storage place which could become midrise condos. There's even that gas station and cheap strip mall beside the Village condo. There's a lot of potential on St. Clair, though the zoning is not residential. Mixed-use could pass there, and high-rises could go up.

There are a lot of sites suited to midrise buildings. McBride is definitely in the running for 7 storeys perhaps. It wouldn't be the first time: look at Dundas and Clendenan for a good example of what would be great for that site, midrise residential with retail at street level.
Though AFAIK that's an office building conversion. (I think it might have been marketed as "lofts" back when that tag was novel.)

Oh, Shawn's talking about my new favourite street, Hook Avenue, where it hooks around towards that cruddy Coffee Time frequented by cab drivers waiting for their cars to be repaired next door. Check out Structure at 18 Hook--very cool building/companies there. Around the corner from Hook on Dundas, Cool Hand of a Girl makes the best tacos this side of Oregon. In fact, CHG is probably the coolest cafe this side of Ballard! Then there's a Mexican restaurant under new management just east of Keele @Dundas, Saturday nights it is packed with latinos--a sign the place is damn good--gotta check it out someday soon.

Gingerbread Cafe on the otherhand? Poo, and I'm playing a big part soon in revamping the joint.

edit: Will take photos 2morrow to show y'all why da Hookers prefer Hook Av! :p

Sungs, re: where else would condos work in the Junction? Just east of Hook on north side of Dundas, there's 2-3 poopy buildings that could be knocked down. Also, the Coffee Time and the lot across the street could handle some cool red brick loft buildings. Towards Runnymede, there's more crappy buildings/lots that could handle some density.

I used to live on Hook for a while about 2-3 years ago. I left before the pile driving started, thankfully, but not before the utility relocation, which was annoying for one worker's daily habit of leaving his machine idling in reverse. I would wake up at 7:00am every day to the *beep* *beep* *beep* sound. The freight trains passing over the Junction are actually much louder than the piling and they often go through in the middle of the night. Think of a 100 car freight train going down the Queen streetcar line, crossing over the tracks on Spadina, at 60 km/h, at 2am, with your bedroom window right on the corner... but I acutally did get used to it. The rent was NOT cheap either!

I think the sketchiness has been cut back a fair bit in recent years. There was a lot of petty theft at the time. You couldn't leave anything outside. Someone stole the lid to the bbq once, for scrap I guess. The traffic is terrible at rush hour. The worst, non-expressway traffic in the city IMO. Cars are backed up in all directions for as far as you can see at both the Dupont/Annette/Dundas and the Dundas/Keele intersections. It happens every single day and this was before they added the bike lanes, so it must be worse now. The 40 bus was somehow reliable through all of that, except the drivers would always pop into McDonalds at Dundas West Stn and take forever to come back.

I still liked the neighbourhood, despite the problems. There are lots of great places to relax and chill out for a few drinks(and I love drinking!), which was new for the hood since it was under prohibition until, I think, 1999. Check out Axis at Dundas and Pacific(?). They have a nice patio. CHG opened while I was there and I agree it's great. I liked Vesuvio's pizza too. Also The Junction is so close to the other great west end spots; Ronces, High Park and Bloor West Village.

I left only because my job moved from downtown to Yonge and St. Clair and the TTC commute became too long and convoluted. Despite being close to St. Clair, the only way to get there from the Junction is via Keele and that was always mess at the railway underpass.

Last edited:
I left only because my job moved from downtown to Yonge and St. Clair and the TTC commute became too long and convoluted. Despite being close to St. Clair, the only way to get there from the Junction is via Keele and that was always mess at the railway underpass.

How is the bus down to Dundas West and the subway the rest of the way "too long and convoluted"?

New to the Junction

Hello everyone,

Moving to the High Park Ave and Annette area (is that considered part of The Junction?) and just wondering if there are any doggy daycares in the area? Thanks.

Hello everyone,

Moving to the High Park Ave and Annette area (is that considered part of The Junction?) and just wondering if there are any doggy daycares in the area? Thanks.

Hi Rev,

There are a couple that I know of - "It's a Dog's Life" at Bloor West and Indian Road and "The Dog Lounge" on Dundas West at Indian Grove.

Back