News   May 17, 2024
 251     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 688     1 
News   May 16, 2024
 944     1 

The Junction

The “Hasty Market†had a building permit taken out around year ago for a restaurant we an exterior patio. No idea what it might be now but it’s a big place inside with exposed brick and hardwood. It would make a nice restaurant.

Does anybody know where we can get a look at the plans or renderings of the Runnymede healthcare centre? I’ve looked all over the net and can only find one picture. I’m not expecting a drawing set but a few shots would be great.

Also is the Village by High Park site 2 or 3 buildings?

403 Keele has permits out for the following so I assume 3 but I only see plans for 2 on the options for homes web site.

New 24 storey mixed use residential and commercial building Phase 1

New 12 and 16 storey apartment building Phase 2

The village by high park will be one condo corporation with 2 towers. Both phase 1 and 2 will be built simultaneously. Occupancy is now scheduled for Fall 2009. The buildings will be 16 and 24 stories.

Hi, we went to an Options for Homes presentation yesterday and we reserved a condo on the North side and we are considering purchasing it but we are concerned about the rubber tire plant 'NRI' nearby. Can anyone in the neighbourhood tell us how often smells are emitted and how strong they are? The builders are installing an air filtration system and thicker windows however we would like to know if the plant could be an issue.

I live just east of NRI and from time to time the odour can be bothersome.
In my experience it's not constant, and seems to be worse in the autumn for some reason when the odour has hung around for a few days at a time.
When that happens it's noticeable outdoors but not indoors. My house very old and I don't have any special filters etc. or special glass.
The MOE respond very quickly to complaints, but there's only so much they can do. Weather conditions will affect (wind direction, low cloud cover etc.), but like I said, it's not constant. I really haven't smelled anything since maybe October or November to give you some idea.
Hope this helps.

The Gathering Space Tonight

Home Sweet Home Opening Tonight! 5-7pm
Join us in celebrating our final exhibition, a presentation of 13
community collaborations and neighborhood interventions. Toronto
artists collaborate with students from Lucy McCormick, long-time
shopkeepers along Dundas W., children, seniors and residents of
Evangeline House, to create engaging and interpretive photography,
textile, sculpture and installation projects that explore their
relationships to 'home' and the Junction. Please bring a small
meaningful object that can be incorporated into Kaitlin Gate's
Precious Possessions work. Exhibition will run until April 30th.

Artists: David Battistella, Sarah Cullen, Michelle Ferry, Jane O'Hara,
Kaitlin Gates, Nancy Viva Davis Halifax, Kim Jackson, Rhonda Nolan,
Shannon Phair, Petrina Ng, Erin Riley, Julie Tucker, Carmen Victor,
Kristen Wulff

--
2804 Dundas W. In the Cool Hand of a Girl Cafe
visit The Gathering Space blog at gatheringspace.blogspot.com

West Toronto Railpath

This info was contained in the current Ward18 newsLetter:

West Toronto Railpath Park Begins Construction this Spring:
The City of Toronto has approved the construction of a railpath park trail
which is approximately
2.1 kilometres long, running from the Cariboo Avenue in the north (Cariboo
is one block north of
Dupont) to Dundas Street in the south.
The design consists of a lit, asphalt trail which winds through the site
with concrete paved plazas
at street intersections. Planting will consist of native tree species.
Where possible, existing trees
along the site will be protected and incorporated into the design. Native
grasses and wildflower
seeds from the site were collected in the fall of 2006 and will be
replanted in 2009. Planting
adjacent to the path and under the trees will consist of low grasses and
wildflowers. This will
maintain the 'wild' character of the existing site while providing habitat
for birds, insects and small
mammals. The low heights of new plants will provide open sight lines
through the site for a safe
andcomfortable experience for all trail users.
The tender for the project has closed and by the end of April the contract
will have been awarded
to the winning bidder. Construction should start early in May, although
the timing of construction
north of Dupont Street is still to be sorted out. Negotiations with Go
Transit are ongoing
regarding coordinating access to these lands due to their ongoing rail
grade separation project in
the same area. Our work will start this spring regardless. Anticipated
completion of the project is
June 2009.
The City also plans to construct a second phase of this trail, running
from Dundas St. to King St,
in future years. Negotiations with CN Rail are ongoing to purchase the
land needed for phase two
of the project, and provisions are being made for the trail in current
planning processes, such as
leaving space for the trail in the Dufferin Jog Tunnel project set to
begin construction later this
year.
For more information about the West Toronto Railpath Park,
please contact my office (Adam G.) or visit www.railpath.ca.

^freakn awesome news! so they're doing it in phases i see..makes sense to wait for the part where it connects w/ the dufferin jog.

i'm unsure after reading that exactly how far dundas they're going with the first phase? like what would be the main intersection of the ending point(assuming cariboo as the starting point)?

ps: can't wait till there's a railpath thread on its progress!

^freakn awesome news! so they're doing it in phases i see..makes sense to wait for the part where it connects w/ the dufferin jog.

i'm unsure after reading that exactly how far dundas they're going with the first phase? like what would be the main intersection of the ending point(assuming cariboo as the starting point)?

ps: can't wait till there's a railpath thread on its progress!

Phase 1 goes to Dundas and Lansdowne.

Junction City Weekend April 12-14

Come out to the “Junction City” Square at Dundas St. W. and Pacific Ave. and visit the newly built Junction Train Platform. Based on turn of the century architecture, this 500 square foot roofed platform will serve as gathering place for weekend events held throughout the year.

Kicking off the festivities is the “Junction City” Weekend, April 12-14. Hourly vaudeville shows, intriguing facts about the Junction, walking tours, photo exhibits, games and more will be offered from noon to 5pm on Saturday and Sunday. You can even get your picture taken on the platform dressed in historic costumes.

http://www.thejunctioncity.com/junction_city_weekend.html

I suppose the square will be on that empty lot beside the modernist building on the northeast side of Dundas and Pacific. That's too bad because there should be a building there in my opinion. Perhaps there will be plans for it after the centennial.

Also, the centennial banners are up.

i walked by my future neighbourhood today :) and was wondering what they are building at that empty slot, just east of Pacific on the north side of dundas? there's an old sign there that said something along of the lines of "for sale depending on whether the venture suits the spot"(i'm paraphrasing, so i know i'm way off) but its the size of a retail store and i can see some very rudimentary wood blocks put up there as if something's about to be built there. any news?

i walked by my future neighbourhood today :) and was wondering what they are building at that empty slot, just east of Pacific on the north side of dundas? there's an old sign there that said something along of the lines of "for sale depending on whether the venture suits the spot"(i'm paraphrasing, so i know i'm way off) but its the size of a retail store and i can see some very rudimentary wood blocks put up there as if something's about to be built there. any news?

This exactly what I was talking about. I was on the bus today, and noticed that they're putting up a wooden structure too. This will be presumably for the station. For now I think it's supposed to be a public area.

Come out to the “Junction City†Square at Dundas St. W. and Pacific Ave. and visit the newly built Junction Train Platform. Based on turn of the century architecture, this 500 square foot roofed platform will serve as gathering place for weekend events held throughout the year.

New restaurant "Rawlicious" opening for the Centennial Celebrations on Dundas between Clendennan and Quebec (north side, in between Dundas Pizza and the Martial Arts place).

That's great news. I'm guessing by the name it will be raw food.
If you've ever eaten at "Live" on Dupont then it's something to look forward to.
Can't wait to try it out.
Wow...I think The Junction will be known as The Organic Junction.

Come out to the “Junction City†Square at Dundas St. W. and Pacific Ave. and visit the newly built Junction Train Platform. Based on turn of the century architecture, this 500 square foot roofed platform will serve as gathering place for weekend events held throughout the year.

JP...you seem to be in the know about this. Maybe you can clarify...?
I was walking my dogs past there today, but I couldn't figure out which side you'd be viewing from. I thought the platform would be set back so that you could step into the square from the Dundas St. sidewalk but it looks like you'll have go in from the side on Pacific, with the rear of the platform facing out onto Dundas.

Back