News   May 17, 2024
 133     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 419     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 814     1 

The Junction

The Gathering Space has issued their April events calendar which I wanted to upload but the pdf is a little over the maximum allowed, which is too bad as it contained a lot of information. Lots to do with something for everyone.

Many folks will have no doubt run into the Gathering Space crew at some time or another, but for those of you not familiar with this arts initiative check out their web site/blog spot.

http://gatheringspace.blogspot.com/

I was at Agora today, mom of the owner told me that the Gathering Space plans to close forever at the end of April! Is this true?? I hope not...

I hope it's not another bar, Junction has enough bars already.

Well the Junction has bars....but they're almost all working class/dive bars. The area needs something--two or three--more glamourous--the equivalent of the Drake, Sweaty Betty's, maybe even Nyood. A place to see indie music. A techno club. etc. (The owner of Black Jack Grille, on Keele St south of Dundas, told me he wants to expand into an upstairs live music event space. Not certain if it will work though--ie, what clientele he has in mind.)

Wow sounds like you are a crazy walking type too. Maybe you live in slabcity between Keele and High Park?

Well the Junction has bars....but they're almost all working class/dive bars. The area needs something--two or three--more glamourous--the equivalent of the Drake, Sweaty Betty's, maybe even Nyood. A place to see indie music. A techno club. etc.

Wow sounds like you are a crazy walking type too. Maybe you live in slabcity between Keele and High Park?

Slabcity? Sorry my English is not very versatile..

I'm on Quebec ave, closer to Bloor. Walking with camera is fun too.

It's sad, but I haven't been to a bar in ages, I do agree Junction needs a few "nicer" places to go to lol

Slabcity is my name for the group of highrise rental and condo buildings around Glenlake/Bloor/Keele/High Park Ave. I live very close to you if that's were you live.

ahhh gotcha.. yes, it's definitely a slabcity :rolleyes:

Nope, I'm not in a highrise, but still very close to Bloor. I love living so close to BWV, Junction and Roncys.

I'm curious about that whole block of abandoned homes on Bloor St close to Keele subway, you know which one I mean, currently asking around for any updates.. also new condo development at Dundas/Bloor (Joe Mercuries building), it'll be 10 stories with retail on the first floor, can't wait to see the floor plans.

I was at Agora today, mom of the owner told me that the Gathering Space plans to close forever at the end of April! Is this true?? I hope not...

Hi JP...here's an update. I don't know if they've found another home yet, but they are continuing with the project

"Hi folks, Happy Spring Equinox!

April is our last month of programming in the Cool Hand of a Girl
cafe; and although it is the end of our time there, it is just the
beginning of our participation in the Junction Neighborhood. As a
celebration of the Junction's potential we will be opening our 'Home
Sweet Home' Exhibition on April 3rd. 'Home Sweet Home' features the
work of 13 artists engaged in community collaborations and
neighborhood interventions. It's not to be missed. As well, we'll be
having our last home movie night this thursday March 27th at 7:30pm.
We hope you can come out. In preparation for 'Home Sweet Home', three
of the artists are offering opportunities for you to engage in the
production of their work. Our last farewell will be held on May 1st
when we will share thanks for our time at the cafe with a community
feast from 3-9pm."

No, Cool Hand isn't closing, if anything they will be expanding their hours come spring. I think it worked out for all concerned for The Gathering Space to make use of the location as business for the cafe was much quieter during the winter.:D

ahhh gotcha.. yes, it's definitely a slabcity :rolleyes:

Nope, I'm not in a highrise, but still very close to Bloor. I love living so close to BWV, Junction and Roncys.

I'm curious about that whole block of abandoned homes on Bloor St close to Keele subway, you know which one I mean, currently asking around for any updates.. also new condo development at Dundas/Bloor (Joe Mercuries building), it'll be 10 stories with retail on the first floor, can't wait to see the floor plans.

JP...I remembered reading this article in the Toronto Star a while back. I think it's the same set of abandoned homes you're referring to (I know which you mean).
http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/249076

JP...I remembered reading this article in the Toronto Star a while back. I think it's the same set of abandoned homes you're referring to (I know which you mean).
http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/249076

thanks for the article..that poor woman! I always wondered who lived in this house, I noticed the sign in the window, also the Tibet "flags"

Hi, we went to an Options for Homes presentation yesterday and we reserved a condo on the North side and we are considering purchasing it but we are concerned about the rubber tire plant 'NRI' nearby. Can anyone in the neighbourhood tell us how often smells are emitted and how strong they are? The builders are installing an air filtration system and thicker windows however we would like to know if the plant could be an issue.

Back