News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 471     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

The Hypocrisy of the International Community, Re: Russia

And that's exactly what will happen. When Kosovo was declared independent, it was Albanian flags that the crowds were waving.

If it wasn't for the stupid aggressions of the Serbs, the west would have backed the Serbian hold on Kosovo. But the Albanians were smart, they slowing got a hold in Kosovo, and then through pure demographics pushed out the Serbs, and then took over.

It's only a matter of time until Kosovo joins Albania.

Similarly, the Serb half of Bosnia is de facto part of Serbia anyway.

You do realize that that's exactly what the Albanians in Kosovo would want right?

That maybe what they want, but I doubt Europe and even Albania want any part of that KLA kelptocratic fiefdom.

I am not disputing the fact that NATO made a mistake in Kosovo. But two wrongs don't make a right (Russia/Georgia). What's more NATO wasn't trying to send a message to Russia with its peacemaking efforts in Kosovo. Russia's invasion of Georgia is a completely different effort. It's meant to intimidate Georgia and other former Soviet republics. It's meant to let Europe know that they must cater to Russia or they will have some cold, dark winters. And it is this message that must be countered.

I blame the United States and NATO for opening up this Pandora's Box. Russia was more than happy to play it to their advantage. When Kosovo happened, you could tell Russia was not pleased and would strike back. The West's arrogance can be quite amusing if it wasn't so serious. The West needs to cut their losses now and say no more. As I've said before, it's tit for tat. If the West wants Russia to give up those two Georgian provinces, they better give Kosovo back to Serbia. If sovereign countries are sovereign, and the United States expects to be taken seriously, that's what has to happen. Lots of these countries have separatist problems, so it's a big issue and one which many will be watching closely.

Some blame must be apportioned to Georgian President Saakashvili. What was he thinking?! Now he has Russian troops creeping all over his country.

If it wasn't for the stupid aggressions of the Serbs, the west would have backed the Serbian hold on Kosovo. But the Albanians were smart, they slowing got a hold in Kosovo, and then through pure demographics pushed out the Serbs, and then took over.

Albanians have tried to take Kosovo since the 19th century, and did join the Albania during WWII (as Albania at the time was a Nazi state). So, if there has been aggression for the past century, it has been as a result of Albanians driving the Serbs away. By the 1980s, the number of Serbs in Kosovo was dwindling, as they faces constant harassment, as well as beatings and an odd murder. Serbia finally took the autonomy of Kosovo away (which, by the way, was certainly not illegal) and soon the KLA decided to start killing the Serb police. Serbia brought in the army, and what did NATO do? It decided to offer the Serbs an ultimatum NO self-respecting sovereign country could accept. Serbia, among other things, accepted restoring the autonomy, and bringing in an international peacekeeping force into Kosovo. Not good enough: NATO required a 'peacekeeping' force made up of NATO troops, as well as a de facto occupation of the country, even outside of Kosovo. Serbia refused to sign it, and NATO decided to bomb the hell out of the country. So much for NATO being a defensive pact; moreover, Kosovo certainly WAS a message to Russia - that it had no say in what it started to once again regard as a close ally.

----

Now, the hipocracy of the Western media over Georgia is indeed staggering. Far be it from Saakashvili attacking a rebellious province, S. Ossetia was de facto independent and had a Russian peacekeeping force according to the treaty that was agreed to by both sides in the prior war. So the Georgians had no problem breaking the treaty without provocation and in the process killing Russian peacekeepers (I wonder how Americans would react if the situation was reversed). But, the US, Canada, and some other key allies did not condemn Georgia (when they bombed countries for much less). No, somehow Russia was at fault. AND, all this is without noting that S. Ossetia was only Georgian because Stalin said so.

What's really dangerous is that US is still promising Georgia NATO membership. But, NATO, as envisioned, is a defensive pact. Provoking Russia into a war and then expecting foreign help is exactly what Saakashvili hoped for, even without the membership. I wonder what Canadians here on this forum think about that. Would it be worth it for NATO to risk a nuclear war in order to satisfy Mr. Saakashvili's nationalist aspirations? Not for me.

^ Salvius, get your non-sensical anti-western propaganda outta here....

Please feel free to point as to why it is nonsense. Otherwise, I will feel free to note that you have nothing useful to add to the discussion.

Back