News   May 06, 2024
 345     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 482     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.3K     1 

TCHC: 88-90 Carlton (12s, Stanford Downey)

True cd, Carleton east of Yonge seems like the healthiest commercial strip running east that is north of King. Even Bloor east of Yong is pretty dead except for HBC. And, Carleton may get even busier with Loblaws going in, so more development along this nicely developing street could be welcomed.

When initally announced, I lamented the lack of street retail (Carlton is a retail street, but could be much better if the gaps were filled in) but since they're keeping the fronts of the old buildings it makes sense why they're not.

The cladding is what could completely make or break this building.

Thankfully, the scale is such that even if they break it, it wouldn't have affected much.

I like how the Mutual Street street level facade mirrors the Radio City townhouses.

AoD

[/quote]
The cladding is what could completely make or break this building.[/QUOTE]

I agree. It looks like stucco (noooooooo!) but it could be pre-cast (a bit less of a nooooooo). Either way, it will probably have to overcome its cladding to totally succeed.

Looks like 76 Shuter with the older buildings kept intact or Kings Court with the facade work. Good on them for keeping the older buildings. Wish Minto could do the same on St Thomas. Downey designed 1 King btw.

These two buildings were torn down about 5-6 weeks ago, all that remains now are the front of the two buildings and about 30 feet of the building along the sides.
It's a very good point about the Mutual side mirroring Radio City townhomes but I'm not sure about the rendering. In any event, the green roof, solar panels, ground source heat pump etc. are all very positive and progressive initiatives to incorporate into the complex. Very impressive.

There's some weird looking stuff going on here... there are I-Beam structures in front of these buildings and through the buildings (using the windows).

Anyone know what the story is? I don't see anything like it in the rendering:

88_90Carlton.jpg

I'll try and get a photo of it tomorrow...

Back