News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 590     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Taste of the Danforth has overgrown

MEN IN SPANDEX, that gets my attention! Hopefully going commando. I'm there.

Re: Debut

The one complaint I have with TOTD was that practically everyone sells the same stuff...Gyros, chicken/pork souvalaki, spanakopita, etc. I've noticed only one store that offers lamb. Surely there is more to Greek food than just that.

I had that complaint a few years ago as well. It was all the same, and all overpriced.

Last year, however (and this year as well) I noticed a great variety of food...Thai, Indian, Japanese, etc.

We went last year (first time for me). Sure, there were line-ups, but it's not as if I was surprised. I thought it was great.

I love food, but more than that I think I like it when people take over a street.

We went last year (first time for me). Sure, there were line-ups, but it's not as if I was surprised. I thought it was great.

Remember those honey balls? Man oh man.

Living just off the Danforth, we approach TOTD weekend every year with a bit of dread. We know that we can't move our cars starting Thursday night (we're near the subway, though, so we're hardly stranded), and we know that we can look forward to souvlaki wrappers and drink cans scattered on our lawn each morning.

Having said that, we wouldn't mind the inconvenience if TOTD were a bit more interesting. But, frankly, the Danforth is so much more pleasurable without the crowds of TOTD. And there isn't much at TOTD to grab one's attention, besides eating. Too many booths dedicated to corporate sponsors -- as someone mentioned above, it's great if you are shopping around for VoIP or a mortgage, but otherwise it's incredibly dull street festival fare. They need more street performers, more entertainment, more street merchants, artists ... something.

As for the crowds -- yes, there are too many people. I don't really know what they can do about that.

I must comment on the post above, however, which suggested that one needs to spend 20 minutes in line to get food. Living nearby, we tend to walk down to the Danforth throughout TOTD weekend to grab a snack, a quick lunch, dinner, etc. -- often at peak times. Some booths have line-ups, some booths have none. It never takes us more than 3 or 4 minutes to get our food.

... it's nice to see people take over a street but how much fun can you have when you're too busy worrying about not getting stepped on and you're moving at 1 step every 2 seconds?

Also, when the point of the festival is to try different types of food on the Danforth and you can't even access one booth without waiting 20 minutes all while being pushed and shoved. I think the point is defeated.

I don't consider that fun. Not by a long shot. I won't be going again.

They need more street performers, more entertainment, more street merchants, artists ... something.

Last I checked there were 2 stages with performances all day and night. The street merchants were your typical sleazy flea market type. I met an artist who was selling prints of her work showing the celebrations and colour (mainly blue & white) of Greece Eurocup win a couple years ago. She was tucked away but i caught a glimpse of the prints and went over to check it out. I suggest if you really want to enjoy what TOTD offers come during the day. Its just too crowded at night.
BTW... I was dissappointed at the turnout at the Greek stage on the east side. They had top knotch entertainers, singers and dancers. Most of the audience was Greek though. We hung out at the adjacent beer garden, lots of tables available, and felt like I was in Athens or something. I didnt understand a word they were saying, but the entertainers were having fun, smiling, singing and dancing away unlike the entertainers at the main stage at Logan. The gang at Zorba's always put on a good show. If you're looking for something different at TOTD next time, go check out the Greek stage. The TOTD needs to further enhance the Greek theme and not fall victim to pander to everyone. Thats what makes TOTD different from other street festivals.

I went to it last year and walked right past Brad Pitt, who was in disguise. We nearly bumped into each other because it was so crowded. I went with 2 friends and were there for about an hour, got fed up with the crowds and left. Don't think I'll be going back unless something is done that will allow some breathing room. What a complete waiste of time.

I wonder what will happen, eventually, to all these BIA-instigated "cultural" festivals which are basically about boosting the local restaurant businesses and little else? Taste of the Danforth has become the most bloated example. We've moved from a city that rolls up the sidewalks at 7 p.m. to a city of cafe society and a city of endless BIA fests. How far will this thing go? What's next?

BB, your question has a sensational tone to it, so I'll propose a sensational answer: the TAPS festival on Lawrence West. The large bathroom store west of Dufferin can close the street and relocate all of their luxury plumbing fixtures for a weekend of outdoor showers and bubble baths. T.O. street meat vendors could keep the peckish crowds happy in the erstwhile suburban wasteland with a healthy supply of sausages and buns.

I'd go.

I wonder what will happen, eventually, to all these BIA-instigated "cultural" festivals which are basically about boosting the local restaurant businesses and little else? Taste of the Danforth has become the most bloated example. We've moved from a city that rolls up the sidewalks at 7 p.m. to a city of cafe society and a city of endless BIA fests. How far will this thing go? What's next?

These street festivals may largely about boosting business, but I don't see what's wrong with that. People seem to have a good time at most.

The Salsa on St. Clair Festival was great last year...lot's of music, dancing, etc. The fact that it was probably arranged by the local BIA doesn't really change the fact that it was an enjoyable event.

BB, your question has a sensational tone to it, so I'll propose a sensational answer: the TAPS festival on Lawrence West.

I've got one better: The IDOMO Taste of the Downsview Festival at Dufferin and Sheppard. Dunk tank featuring the guy on the IDOMO commercials, plus merchandise brought outdoors that couldn't sell (some from 2002 WYD, which is why merchandise has to be sold outdoors). Barbecue of M&M burgers and sausages from the store on the other side of Downsview Station. Booth set up by the nearby ATU Local 113 office staffed by members in superhero capes, but as cranky as ever. Also, Armed Forces recruitment drive with various booths set up. And furious drivers from Vaughan trying to get to Yorkdale or the 401.

If I wasn't about to fall asleep I'd write about the IKEA Taste of the Bessarion festival.

Follow the arrows as you stroll along grand Sheppard Avenue East sampling a smorgasbord of Swedish delicacies including free lingonberry juice refills. Take a ride on the complimentary shuttle jitney or relax in the siesta zone sponsored by Amica at Bayview (featuring Tovik bedframes and Sultan Forsbacka foam mattresses). There will be exciting live gadget demonstrations by the Canadian Tire family (yes, for one weekend only, Ted, Gloria, and Bobby will be reunited!) and the kids will love carnival games with plush Sandy McTires as prizes. For the event's duration, purchases at both IKEA and Bayview Village boutiques will net you Canadian Tire money, and Sheppard will remain open to through traffic for added ambience and spectacle.

How was the Chinatown festival? Was it the first year for it? Perhaps one way of alleviating the Taste of the Danforth would be to make it over two weekends or even three?

Back