News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 386     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 961     1 

Taste of the Danforth has overgrown

"Montreal certainly has Toronto beat in that department"

People always say this and maybe it's true but I don't think festivals and events are really something that Toronto lacks. That said I'm sure there is room to grow but just off the top of my head there were quite a few events going on in the city this weekend:

-Hot and spicy festival harbourfront
-Beerfest Fort York
-International Dragon Boat Race
-Internation AIDS Conference
-Taste of the Danforth
-Chinatown Festival
-Chinese Lantern Festival
-WakeStock
-Rogers Cup

If one were to make a comparison with say New York or Montreal as suggested on this random weekend would the above list really suggest that toronto is particularly deficient in events?

Incidentally I agree, taste of the danforth has become way too crowded for its own good.

I was really referring to street festivals in the purest sense where the street is closed to traffic. I'm a big fan of these and yes I do think Toronto could use more of them.

The success of all these interchangeable street "festivals" reflects a city where BIA's define the cultural aspirations of most people.

Last night, as the last of the 416 and 905 tourists drifted home from the Danforth, I went to Athens Pastries for a galaktobouriko - as I occasionally do. The young women who work there said they'd been rushed off their feet all day long.

gboykovekin: Wearing spandex is a priviledge, not a right.

I was really referring to street festivals in the purest sense where the street is closed to traffic.

I think you can find one almost any weekend.

I've been to every TOTD and love it the same each year. Sure we have large crowds, long lines and inconveniences to the locals but its a great time always. Luckily I live in walking distance and did'nt have to cook a meal for 3 days.
It was great to see a toned down midway, the last couple of years the rides and trailers took up too much space and made it difficult to get around east of pape to jones. I found those booths selling cell phones, voip, contest giveaways, etc down the middle of danforth just made it diffucult to move around. Other than the beer and wine gardens, all other exhibits should stay off to sides and leave more room on the street to walk. OPA!!

If it's a victim of it's own success, it should hopefully inspire others to start their own, or the management of it will find a solution.

These things will work themselves out. In the meantime enjoy whatever aspect of the city you want.

Don't worry, be happy.

I went last year, and the crowds were ridiculous.

In the mean time, maybe I should wear my spandex cycling outfit to that fetish thing. LOL. I haven't worn it since racing last year.

No doubt the management is aware of the problem, but there's really nothing they can do short of expanding the festival north and south on major intersections.

OT re: CSFF

I wonder if Rob Clarke is responsible for the cartoony ads, or is it some type of stylistic ripoff.

AoD

I checked it out late Sunday with just a few hours left and it was great. Still packed, but not so much that you didn't have room to move around and see all the different stands selling food.

it's been way too crowded for the past 4 or 5 years now.
Anyone remember way before Taste of the Danforth, there was the greek festival in Withrow park every summer, then it moved up to the Centennial College grounds at Mortimore, before evolving into TOTD.
Anyway when it was in the park was the best, intimate, fun and you could actually get something to eat. the ony problem was that there would be no grass left on the baseball field when it was over, but oh well.

The one complaint I have with TOTD was that practically everyone sells the same stuff...Gyros, chicken/pork souvalaki, spanakopita, etc. I've noticed only one store that offers lamb. Surely there is more to Greek food than just that.

AoD

greek festival in Withrow park every summer
There was a time, the north-east corner of the park used to hold numerous festivals and events. They used to put up a stage with live bands and dancing. I remember they used to have a square dance party almost every weekend. The crowds were not very big though. When the Greek festival moved to Withrow Park, they had already outgrown the parkette they were using north of Danforth between Carlaw and Gough. It did not take long for the Greeks to outgrow Withrow Park, then the BIA was serious about a street festival. Other than the occasional bongo drum, not much music coming from the park these days. Whatever happened to Dusk Dances at Withrow Park? Now that was fun to watch and be around as they used the whole park as their stage.

There used to be a summer Greek festival down in Riverdale Park, for a couple of years in the mid-1980's, with a big tent next to where the track is. It was similar to what Taste of the Danforth was like in the early years of the mid-1990's, but smaller, and lasted for a few days each time. I thought it was the best of all of the incarnations of this thing.

Wearing spandex is a priviledge, not a right.

But, but...I can get fellow UTGA members to vouch for me. Plus, it's also very functional as well, as I'll probably be biking down.

In the mean time, maybe I should wear my spandex cycling outfit to that fetish thing. LOL. I haven't worn it since racing last year.

Yay! I'll be there too; but not in a pro team kit, just some generic biking spandex.

Back