News   Apr 25, 2024
 387     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Target

I really don't think any of the Target stores in the GTA are ideal for either Canadian Tire or Walmart to take over. It makes sense that they're focusing on the areas further out where they are currently short on presence.

I really don't think any of the Target stores in the GTA are ideal for either Canadian Tire or Walmart to take over. It makes sense that they're focusing on the areas further out where they are currently short on presence.

The only one that I thought might be on the table was Harbour Plaza.

Some of those are the type of mall that are a bit more upscale than Wal-Mart usually locates in. I'm sure some there are some property managers who aren't happy about their property going downscale.

Will St. Catharines end up with four Wal-Marts? I figured they were at saturation already.

This article lists the 13 locations Walmart took over.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/wal...da-stores-and-a-distribution-centre-1.3066182

4 are in Ontario (2 in Ottawa, one in Guelph and one in St. Catherines.

I had heard they were interested in up to 30 Target locations.

This is fairly big news as Walmart wasn't really in expansion mode. They were only planning 2 new stores this year. Now it looks like they are planning 13 more (probably for next year). Although I'm not sure if other closer Walmarts will close because of this.

Some of those are the type of mall that are a bit more upscale than Wal-Mart usually locates in. I'm sure some there are some property managers who aren't happy about their property going downscale.

Will St. Catharines end up with four Wal-Marts? I figured they were at saturation already.

Square One is probably the most upscale mall Wal-Mart's in, though Square One has largely been a mall that serves all markets (as opposed to more-exclusively upscale malls like Yorkdale and Sherway).

But Ottawa's Bayshore and St. Catharines' Pen Centre are first-tier malls and not the types of places it'd normally open in.

So, Walmart didn't take any of the Toronto Target stores. Not surprising.

Poor location was part of Zellers' decline. I remember when I lived in Fredericton, where the Walmart was in the big, new mall while Zellers was in the dirty, worn out mall, literallly on the wrong side of the tracks, well in this case highway.

What a #&%* waste. The mall, the hub of Thorncliffe Park, is left with a giant, recently-renovated empty space, while Wal-Mart builds another big box in another crappy SmartCentre.

To be fair to Walmart (not a phrase I find myself saying very often), the approvals for the Laird site were obtained well before Target dropped its bombshell news in January. I have no idea what legal arrangements are in place, but I suspect that it is well past the point that Walmart can just walk away from the Laird site because a better site unexpectedly became available (assuming Walmart believes East york Town Centre is the better site, which may not necessarily be the case). On-site work has commenced on the Laird site. The timing is the villain here. Add the residents of Thorncliffe Park to the long list of people screwed over by Target Canada.

ETA: Lowe's announced this morning that they are taking 13 Target stores, but refuse to release the list of locations. Lowe's does not have a centrally located store (the closest store to East York, Danforth, Riverdale and Leaside is Eglinton and Warden, I believe). East York Town Centre might work for them.

ETA2: The media is reporting that 23 leases remain from the Target Canada auction process and more acquisitions will be announced this week. These are the leases that at least one retailer expressed an interest in. It's possible East York Town Centre is in the mix. Not a lot of sites zoned for large format retail, with ample parking, located across the street from a future Costco, in central Toronto.

Last edited:

Back