News   May 10, 2024
 2K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 3.1K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Supertall and near-Supertall Rumour/Speculation Thread

The Yorkville NIMBY's are going to LOVE this lol 80 or 100 stories in Yorkville? GOOD LUCK!

The Yorkville NIMBY's are going to LOVE this lol 80 or 100 stories in Yorkville? GOOD LUCK!

Well, the city will have to decide what is more important...a 1/2-3/4 billion dollar project that might bring the city much needed tax dollars and jobs or... side with the dozens of people that vision a development like this will destroy their neighbourhood.

This will have to be extremely high end luxury project to finance the construction of such a tall tower. - Plus the possible lot sizes are not that big, so it will be a very slim and trim point tower as well.

Most importantly this creates the landmark tower that we have all been dreaming of.

It'll only be a landmark tower if its design is distinctive. I'll be less than thrilled if we get a 1,000 foot Clewes box with blue glass and gray spandrels on top of a facadectomied Stollery's.

rumour is that Will Alsop is the architect.....if true, anything could happen design wise...

And to be clear, the 80s condo pair rumour is a separate rumour from the 100s one... so yeah, it's all a but surreal!

Holy cow. If these rumours pan out, Yorkville, with One Bloor, 42 Charles, Four Seasons, and these two projects (not to mention the other tall projects in the area currently under wraps, that very likely exist), will arguably surpass the downtown core in height -- maybe not in total area or density, but in sheer height, fugeddaboutit.

Yorkville would be Chicago to the downtown core's New York.

I can't find a downside to all the new height potentially clustered around Yonge/Bloor, but I think the merchants on Bloor will start to get quite pissed off if there is a whole bunch of feverish construction going on. Think road closures, noise, and dust. There is still fatigue from the prolonged sidewalk/roadway reworking on Bloor. Pedestrian traffic / shoppers may begin to avoid the area again, and I think that would be a legitimate worry for the merchants.

If only there was a way to just snap fingers and voila ... skyscraper built!

With 700 millionaires moving into town later this year, or early next, I don't think the merchants will be worrying about anything except hiring more accountants and business consultants.

Trust, these big boys won't go slumming on Yonge, or Spandina to get their gear.

I can't see this being residential only. There should be office space and a hotel included.
imo

^ Well, whatever, but I am maintaining that someone just wanted to take the bloom off of the groundbreaking of One Bloor, and this 100+ storey thing is bogus.

My first thought:

WAIT!, let the Cumberland Terrace re-do come to market first, every cycle the owners are late to market and we get stuck w/that piece of #$#@ for another decaded+.

If something like either of these 2 proposals (100/80) come to market, and are successful, I see Cumberland sinking again)

My second thought: Honestly residential height is getting a little concerning. People forget the practicalities, like the last blackout.....natural water pressure only gives you running water to between the 6th and 11th floor depending on your area and floor heights.

So, no power (back up generators generally only give you 30min to an hour of water pumps)....no water, that's not just the sink folks, or the shower, no toilet either!

Also, no power, no elevators..........you thought walking up 20 floors sucked, wait for 80+.

Not trying to be a buzz kill.....I can still support residential at High Rise levels....I'm just thinking this is overkill.

Besides, I want more mid-rise intensification on Danforth, Bloor West, Eglinton (East and West) etc.

There is always at least one elevator that works on the diesel back-up generator in a high-rise building.

My first thought:

WAIT!, let the Cumberland Terrace re-do come to market first, every cycle the owners are late to market and we get stuck w/that piece of #$#@ for another decaded+.

If something like either of these 2 proposals (100/80) come to market, and are successful, I see Cumberland sinking again)

I was thinking the exact thought as I skimmed this thread last night, get moving on the Cumberland Mall & condos/apartments (whatever) first. The Cumberland project can't be too far from beginning, likely sometime next year.

My second thought: Honestly residential height is getting a little concerning. People forget the practicalities, like the last blackout.....natural water pressure only gives you running water to between the 6th and 11th floor depending on your area and floor heights.

So, no power (back up generators generally only give you 30min to an hour of water pumps)....no water, that's not just the sink folks, or the shower, no toilet either!

Also, no power, no elevators..........you thought walking up 20 floors sucked, wait for 80+.

Not trying to be a buzz kill.....I can still support residential at High Rise levels....I'm just thinking this is overkill.

Besides, I want more mid-rise intensification on Danforth, Bloor West, Eglinton (East and West) etc.

Most newer buildings have backup systems in place. Some higher end buildings have backup systems built in where most services continue if power is lost, other buildings have basic services (one or two elevators, emergency lighting) that continues for a few dozen hours. During the August 2003 blackout my building at 33 Wood St. next to the Gardens (built around '76 or '77) had emergency lighting in the hallways, stairwells and lobby throughout the event plus one working elevator.

Back