News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 367     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 940     1 

Street Signs

and Etobicoke's signs, up almost to the end had a lighter shade of blue as the backing

I always wondered about those signs - whether they were originally that light, almost powder blue colour, or if they were just older signs starting to fade, because there are also a lot of identical, dark blue ones in Etobicoke as well.
I take it the darker ones are like newer replacements then?

I always wondered about those signs - whether they were originally that light, almost powder blue colour, or if they were just older signs starting to fade, because there are also a lot of identical, dark blue ones in Etobicoke as well.
I take it the darker ones are like newer replacements then?

That's right.

I always loved Etobicoke's ground-level signs. They seemed so fancy when I was young.

Etobicoke seems to have the most diverse set of signs in the city:

There's the ground-level advance signs, the light blues, the dark blues, a few brown ones, the blue-with-white-border major road signs, the green-with-white-border arrow signs, and old white ones with black stenciled letters around the Kingsway area. Even some of the Toronto-style neighbourhood signs along Lake Shore have their own slightly different "acorns" at the top (Alderwood, Mimico).

...unless, that is, you include all the various North York private "Ways" - although I suppose many of them aren't technically "street signs" in the strictest sense:

4738068378_cdc24e6ece_z.jpg

Recycling at work - saving the planet one sign at a time:

Hidden Terrace hiding under Brief Road:
Brief%20-%20Hidden_zpsuyfrbagc.jpg

Anchor Drive dropped into Walsh Avenue:
Anchor%20-%20Walsh_zps20ocxq9e.jpg

Rustic Street over a very slight outline of Cactus Avenue:
Rustic%20-%20Cactus_zpsjuquunjs.jpg

Hermit Court over something that seems to have started with a "B" (Blaine Drive?):
Hermit%20-%20B_zpsgemfjrhx.jpg

Candy Courtway mixed-up with Carscadden Drive:
Candy%20-%20Carscadden_zps5bsgcneu.jpg

...and finally Streamdale Court in a nice Scarborough-style template sign. Only problem - Streamdale is in North York!:
North%20York%20-%20Scarborough%20Style_zps5oefoeoe.jpg

Last edited:
Great set of "recycled" signs.

I haven't any photographs, but I do enjoy spotting speed limit signs that have the old miles per hour underneath the kilometres per hour. I just saw one yesterday along Kingsway Crescent, near Dundas.

I just love this New York City sign...the city with cojones...
226pxnycdotsp145csvg1.png

By bauhaus at 2010-08-26

I have noticed some little signs along Kingston rd east of Vic Park as well as on Warden between Kingston Rd and Danforth Rd. The are at the start and end of each block stating that "Monolithic Sidewalk begins/ends" anyone know what these are referring to? I don't really see how the sidewalk here is any different from any where else and why it would require a sign stating such.

^ There is a whole thread somewhere on UT where this is discussed and answered. If I remembered where, I would link it (I am sure someone else will). Nevertheless the answer you seek will be there.

I think it has something to do with the sidwalk and street curb being poured/molded together at the same time, or something - that is, as a single monolithic slab of concrete.

The signs do look stangely ominous though...

I've noticed them in numerous places around town.

Isn't that odd!
The signs are posted to warn us of something ... but we are not told the meaning of the warnings!
A perfect example of bureaucracy.

Back