News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 681     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 308     0 

Street Naming (Avenue 7?)

There's Torbram. Then there's Torbarrie and Bartor - both alongside the 400 - once the Toronto-Barrie Highway get it? Ha ha ha.

Hurontario works great, partly as it neatly captures both the lakes that early road would have connected, at two ports - Port Credit and Collingwood. It's smooth and easy to say. Burloak isn't hard to say, but is slightly clumsy.

As long as the new name doesn't change when it crosses municipal boundaries.

Personally I like the idea of naming it after Trudeau. Although we still have a couple streets in Mississauga that need names, such as Ninth Line and Tenth Line.

As long as the new name doesn't change when it crosses municipal boundaries.

Personally I like the idea of naming it after Trudeau. Although we still have a couple streets in Mississauga that need names, such as Ninth Line and Tenth Line.

How is it that they "need names"? They have names. Although I don't like "Tenth Line West", which shows up sometimes. It implies that the street runs in an east-west direction, which it does not. Simply "Tenth LIne" is OK.

Miss. has a street named after Trudeau. Interesting trivia: this street was created from part of a street which had been named "Bud Gregory Boulevard". Bud Gregory was a Conservative MPP during the 1980s. His political philosophy was, shall we say, a bit different from Trudeau's, and I have wondered if this renaming was someone's idea of a joke at Miss. City Hall. (The remainder of the street is still named for Gregory.)

I don't mind numbered street names, but it's confusing when there are only a few left. In Markham, it's 9th Line, 14th Avenue, 16th Avenue and Highway 7 that really stand out. If you go north, Main Street Markham turns to Highway 48 and 17th and 19th Avenue still exist, but these aren't as conspicuous. I think it's the fact that the rest of them have been renamed that makes it confusing.

Knowing that 16th is north of 7 which would have been 15th which is north of 14th doesn't really tell you much unless you live in the area. If at least half of the numbered streets still existed, I'd say keep them, but as it stands I agree that it's a good opportunity to honour some notable citizens or events.

If we win the games, maybe Pan Am Boulevard? :rolleyes:

Does the name really matter? No matter what people will still call it 'Highway 7', the same way everyone calls Hurontario 'Highway 10'.

Does the name really matter? No matter what people will still call it 'Highway 7', the same way everyone calls Hurontario 'Highway 10'.

Your example is perfect because no one calls it Highway 10 anymore.

Old habits die hard. I still call it Highway 10 interchangably with Hurontario and Main Street. Incidentially, the newsletter for the Main/Hurontario transit and planning study is called Corridor10.

Bovaird west of 410 is still known by me a lot as Highway 7 or Highway 7 by-pass. So there. And the reason why the north-south lines have names like 5th Line West, is that the "west" refers to how many lines they are away from Hurontario, which was the survey point when land surveying was carried out. For a while too, Hurontario in some parts, even in Mississauga, was called Centre Road.

Numbers for street names are terribly generic and boring. I'd like to see all of the numbered lines replaced with names in Mississauga (as was done in Brampton and Caledon) and for a similar thing to happen in Markham, Oakville, etc., to their major roads. We are slow to commemorate important Canadians with road names here because city councils are afraid to piss any constituents off. Toronto - uniquely I believe - has even told Bell to go to hell in regards to renaming duplicate street names, which Bell has required of every municipality that it sets up 911 service in. No city councillor want to tell constituents in Weston that they can't live on King Street anymore.

Anyway, I would like to see Highway 7 become something more poetic, but I doubt York Region councillor's ability to pull it off. After all, they've let Vaughan happen.

Okay, the middle part's called Oy Vey Way, the eastern part's So Solly Stleet, and the western part's Via Atsamattafoyou

LOL, that's a hilarious idea. You have my vote. Much better than Avenue 7. :) Where do you live? I live at Oy Vei and Bathurst.

Looks like this is finally going forward...

http://www.yorkregion.com/article/97573

If you have a Hwy. 7 address, you might want to order some new letterhead.

The region’s transportation committee approved plans yesterday to rename the road, Avenue 7.

It was more than two years ago Markham and Vaughan’s councils passed motions asking for the road to be renamed.

Richmond Hill Regional Councillor Vito Spatafora told the committee the town has few addresses on the street and will be largely unaffected.

Technically, the highway stretches for more than 700 kilometres, from Sarnia to Ottawa. In the late 1990s, stretches were downloaded to municipalities, meaning the proper name for the local stretch is York Regional Road 7.

No one cared when that name changed and there won’t be any upheaval this time either, regional chairperson Bill Fisch said at the meeting.

Moreover, the change relates to the evolution of the road that is set to see rapid transit and high-density development.

“The road itself is going to change over the next 20 years, dramatically,†Mr. Fisch said.

“It is believed that the name of Avenue 7 is appropriate as a new name as it represents the future vision for this road as a modern, urban arterial road with a transit plan,†a staff report states.

Less impressed with the exercise was Georgina Mayor Robert Grossi, who described it as “a waste of money.â€

Highway 9 may have seen its name changed to Davis Drive West, but it still has the same congestion, he pointed out.

“If this (name change) is just to make us feel good ... why don’t we call it the Champs-Élysées?†Mr. Grossi asked, in reference to the famed Paris road.

Markham Regional Councillor Gordon Landon pointed out the name was simply not in keeping with what the road has become.

“Highway gives it the wrong connotation,†he said.

The region aims to meld the renaming process with already-scheduled public meetings later this year regarding the implementation of Viva’s bus rapidways. The cost of three such consultation centres, online consultation and outreach to local businesses and residents is tagged at $25,000.

The actual change would similarly be tied to the rapidways coming on line in 2011.

A second option, costing $60,000, that would have allowed for more community involvement, including a chance for residents to suggest new names for the road, was rejected.

Staff argue the Avenue 7 name is virtually already a foregone conclusion.

It has been used as a placeholder name in planning documents and Wikipedia links to a York Region Media Group article on the subject.

The decision needs to be ratified by council at its meeting later this month.

Back