487     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 3K     7 

Street Naming (Avenue 7?)

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
Redirected from here - Spadina Subway Extension Updates

I thought the final stop was "Vaughan Centre" - as if you're in the centre of it all! I'd prefer that over "Vaughan Corporate Centre" at least.

Yeah, Avenue 7? That'd be great in Markham. Half-way between 14th Avenue and 16th Avenue.

There would be precedent, of course, the 14th Sideroad and the 16th Sideroad, Highway 7 would have been the 15th sideroad. Instead of naming the old sideroads, like they did the lines (just extensions of the Toronto names), they just called them Avenues.

Redirected from here - Spadina Subway Extension Updates

I thought the final stop was "Vaughan Centre" - as if you're in the centre of it all! I'd prefer that over "Vaughan Corporate Centre" at least.

Yeah, Avenue 7? That'd be great in Markham. Half-way between 14th Avenue and 16th Avenue.

There would be precedent, of course, the 14th Sideroad and the 16th Sideroad, Highway 7 would have been the 15th sideroad. Instead of naming the old sideroads, like they did the lines (just extensions of the Toronto names), they just called them Avenues.

Avenue 7....bleh.....boring.

We can't allow such a boring name to stay.

I think we need something that honours a great Canadian or Citizen of the World.

In no particular order:

Pierre Trudeau Blvd.
Nelson Mandela Avenue
Mahatma Ghandi Avenue
Frederick Banting Blvd

Other choices welcome, no numbers allowed!

Once we're finished with 7 we can get on to renaming other dull-sounding streets with pointless and irrelevant names!

I throught the final stop was "Vaughan Centre" - as if you're in the centre of it all! I'd prefer that over "Vaughan Corporate Centre" at least.

There would be precedent, of course, the 14th Sideroad and the 16th

I accidentally wrote that 407 was the last stop but, yeah, the Hwy 7 stop will be called Vaughan Corp Centre or something along those lines (I agree that dropping "corporate" is a good idea).

I don't have a problem with renaming Hwy 7, per se, but giving it a real name as opposed to "Avenue 7" makes more sense. Avenue 7 sounds like a cheap shoe store or something...

Pierre Trudeau seems like a great choice. The GTA hasn't named anything after one of our longest-serving Prime Ministers, and I've always thought Highway 7 would be a suitable memorial for York Region.

We'll need multi-city support for any renaming. How about:

Hwy 50 - Keele St: Boulevard Victor Emmanuel II
Keele St - Yonge St: Boulevard David Ben-Gurion
Yonge St - Townline: Boulevard Sun Yat-sen

Slightly confusing, but guaranteed to be hugely popular!

We can't allow such a boring name to stay.

I think we need something that honours a great Canadian or Citizen of the World.

In no particular order:

Pierre Trudeau Blvd.
Nelson Mandela Avenue
Mahatma Ghandi Avenue
Frederick Banting Blvd

Use last names only. Easier to say and follows traditional naming convention.

Other choices welcome, no numbers allowed!

I don't have an historical atlas handy, but naming it after a prominant historical landowner at the 7/Yonge intersection would be appropriate and would follow the concession road naming convention.

Once we're finished with 7 we can get on to renaming other dull-sounding streets with pointless and irrelevant names!

Hwy 50: Albion Rd.
14th Ave: John St.
16th Ave: Carrville Rd. E.

That said, getting ppl to call them by the new names would be wishful thinking. Look at Hurontario. Even ppl on this board don't even always use the name.

^ Part of the reason could be that Hurontario is a dumb and awkward name, almost as bad as Burloak. A good name is more likely to stick.

Alsop's station can't be raised on stilts since the city insisted on tunnelling the entire extension through empty land...a pity!

Use last names only. Easier to say and follows traditional naming convention.

In these crazy modern times, where wikipedia and other forces conspire to expel all historical knowledge from human memory, perhaps it's best - from an educating the doltish masses point of view - to include the full names...and, in Banting's case, to go all out and rename the road Frederick Banting The Insulin Guy Avenue, so that younguns can learn while driving to the theatre to see Saw V.

Another part of the reason is that it extends far past Mississauga. As well, Brampton people are more likely to call it Highway 10 because it changes names twice - to and from Main Street - and extends into Caledon, where it is much more common to call it by the highway number, which it still is. At Orangeville, Highway 10 leaves the original Hurontario alignment. It's an ancient name by Ontario standards, almost 200 years old. It's better than Burloak (originally the Burlington-Oakville townline, before that the Nelson-Trafalgar townline).

Between Shelburne and Chatsworth, Highway 10 was originally "The Toronto and Sydenham Road" or simply Sydenham Road, one of the roads laid out before land surveying was completed. Hurontario was another such road, but the route wasn't that useful for motor vehicles, so it moved when needed for 10 and 24. I'm sure I mentioned this before somewhere.

Any more discussion, and I'll separate this from the Spadina thread and let it take a life on to its own. It's at the brink of that.

^ Part of the reason could be that Hurontario is a dumb and awkward name, almost as bad as Burloak. A good name is more likely to stick.

Personally, I love Hurontario as a street name. It rolls off the tongue so smoothly. Much better than "Base Line" or "Centre Line".

Back