News   May 13, 2024
 774     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 753     0 

St. Paul's by-election

Who signed off on the official campaign photos for Levy and Hoskins?
Levy looks one brush of makeup away from Joan Rivers and Hoskins looks like he has a pecan in his eye.

*Any* Green signs at all?

Oh, and I predict that everyone'll try to distance themselves from Bryant's Chappaquiddick.

I saw one Green sign on Davisville Ave.

It must be a rough time to be campaining. With a holiday weekend now and all this talk of a faderal election imminent, people are going to be confused about what is going on. Plus, with the election on a Thursday, it's going to be difficult getting people out to vote. The vote may skew to the older demographic. I can't see as many under-30's bothering to get to the polls. Also, many of the youger demographic in this riding are renters who may not be on the voters list and won't get a registration card in the mail. If they don't know where the poll is, they won't bother. This may skew the results is Levy's favour.

Only 14 days left.

Last edited:
Any word on a debate?

Joined specifically for this topic, but it's a great forum.

The Greens' site has a debate happening Sept 10th at 7 PM, 175 St Clair West (First Unitarian Congregation)

Here.

I live in the riding - the very edge of it, where it meets up with Davenport and Trinity-Spadina, ever so slightly north of Dupont, around Ossington.

In my pocket of the riding, the NDP is winning the sign war, hands down, but there are a few Liberal signs scattered around. I've yet to see a Tory or Green sign anywhere.

I'm pretty sure it is on Mt. Pleasant, or at least there is a semi abandoned building totally plastered with SAL signs.

Yeah, the office is on the east side of Mt. Pleasant, in-between Eglinton and Soudan Ave.

Last edited:
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/694129

High drama hijacks debate

By-election contest features shouting, shoving and police

Sep 11, 2009 04:30 AM
Rob Ferguson
Queen's Park Bureau

Chaos erupted last night at a debate by nine candidates hoping to become the new MPP for St. Paul's in next Thursday's by-election when an independent candidate rebelled after being denied the chance to answer questions from the audience.

The debate was briefly adjourned and interrupted several times as fringe candidate John Turmel got off the stage and rambled around a church auditorium, complaining loudly and repeatedly that he was being bypassed with questions aimed at candidates from mainstream parties.

"Why should I sit like a lump on a log?" Turmel beefed aloud to the crowd after he abandoned the stage in frustration. "This is democracy in Canada?"

He was threatened with ejection several times by the moderator of the debate, organized by the local Town Crier newspaper.

Police were also called and Turmel later returned to the stage and settled down, but only after a shoving match had ensued and nearby audience members feared it might come to blows. One supporter of Progressive Conservative candidate Sue-Ann Levy held back an angry audience member who made a move toward Turmel, an engineer by training who is known in political circles for running in virtually every election he can.

As the debate began, Turmel told an overflow crowd of about 300 at a church hall in the mid-town Toronto riding that he was not so much concerned about taxes the provincial government collects but how "tax money is wasted."

Similar concerns from Levy, New Democrat candidate Julian Heller and others had Liberal hopeful Dr. Eric Hoskins on the defensive over spending scandals at the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation and eHealth Ontario.

The Liberals also came under fire for the controversial harmonized sales tax taking effect next July 1.

Premier Dalton McGuinty called the by-election after former Liberal MPP and cabinet minister Michael Bryant, now facing criminal charges in a traffic incident last week, resigned in June.

Really anyone who believes the Tories will stop the HST are idiots...

Just play the countless clips of Jim Flaherty, Tim Hudak and other Harris supporters saying the two taxes should be merged and should make the issue toxic for everyone.

The provincial Liberals could play smart politics here.

Instead of trying to defend something and giving the Opposition an issue they can rally on.

Make it so that they can't and create public mistrust in the other party too.

You are seeing the media acknowledge the fact that the Federal Tories support the HST, and its weird how the provincial Tories plan to stop it.

As for the NDP, they hope to get voters feeling Heller good so let's just keep on dancing

I know several Liberal party members are secretly voting for S-A-L.

200.jpg

Back