News   May 02, 2024
 535     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 315     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 284     0 

St Lawrence Market

Schnitzel Queen. The SQ is "being evicted" today BUT they are reopening at 211 Queen East (a bit west of Sherbourne).

Marty Millionaire: The store is being "relocated" today - moving trucks, guys, swearing. No sign as to WHERE they are 'relocating' the merchandise but there is LOTS of it. (Hence the swearing.)

Last edited:
I find the winners in the area one of the nicer ones !!

" BUT they are reopening at 311 Queen East (a bit west of Sherbourne"
DSC.

Am I to presume that SQ (a restaurant that I have never patronized, but certainly have noticed for years) is repairing to

that of the former former Carevelle (sp) owned/operated by Spiros?

Regards,
J T

" BUT they are reopening at 311 Queen East (a bit west of Sherbourne"
DSC.

Am I to presume that SQ (a restaurant that I have never patronized, but certainly have noticed for years) is repairing to

that of the former former Carevelle (sp) owned/operated by Spiros?

Regards,
J T
The last iteration of a restaurant at 311 Queen East was the Moss Park Restaurant. I too have never been to SQ but keep intending to go, the food (there are few seats) gets surprisingly good reviews.

You and/or I may be confused, in that 311 must be east of Sherbourne and the reference to the former former Carevell Restaurant owned/operated

by Spiros is within the 201 block - west of Sherbourne, close by and to the east of Grey's Antiques, 203 Queen East.

Regards,
J T

The last iteration of a restaurant at 311 Queen East was the Moss Park Restaurant. I too have never been to SQ but keep intending to go, the food (there are few seats) gets surprisingly good reviews.

The schnitzel is ok, the potatoes are awful. Much better schnitzel at the Beer Hall in the distillery.

You and/or I may be confused, in that 311 must be east of Sherbourne and the reference to the former former Carevell Restaurant owned/operated

by Spiros is within the 201 block - west of Sherbourne, close by and to the east of Grey's Antiques, 203 Queen East.

Regards,
J T

Their new place is 211 (I fixed original post). It used to be, as stated, the Moss Park Restaurant/Diner.

Their new place is 211 (I fixed original post). It used to be, as stated, the Moss Park Restaurant/Diner.

We went into SQ on Monday for lunch and talked with the Karl, the owner, about the plans for the 211 location. Since the Moss Park Restaurant (being shuttered as the owner, an older Greek man is retiring) is much larger than the 4 seats at the current location, he's looking to get it licensed and to give it more of a beer hall look. He's also looking to introduce a half-size portion, which is a great idea if you've ever been. The schnitzels are gigantic elephant ears and are way too much for the average person to eat.

"Since the Moss Park Restaurant (being shuttered as the owner, an older Greek man is retiring "
cmdrogers.

OK, the Older Greek Man is Spiros! (Who also owns the building.)

The first time I met him, (1974) he and his business partner were operating a restaurant within the plaza, Queen East at Carroll,

later moving to The Crowbar Restaurant on the corner of Adelaide E and ?. At sometime thereafter, Spiros only, repaired to another

rented property within the Queen East 200 block, it having direct rear access to Britain Street and offered parking. Unfortunately,

the owner of that property did not want to sell, but later, and farther to the west, (present location) did. The naming of the restaurant

also changed between the time of The Carevelle and the present Moss Park due to Spiros leasing the ground floor to another party.

So, just what, aside from my patronizing his Emporium of Food have to do with Urban Toronto, other than a local historical snippet?

Our Fearless Leader, aka Edward, did own the building south of and abutting that last mention restaurant building, although it having

a Britain Street address. Another little know item having to do with the area's reality, much to our Fearless Leader's chagrin, is that

his title had the position of giving Right of Way to the Queen Street property owners from and including Spiros, over to and including

both of the Gray's Antiques properties, allowing those owners, unrestricted Right to Access. BTW, Vince Gray has a Fab garden area

behind his antique, Antique stores.

So, to quote someone more famous than I - "Now you know the rest of the story."

Regards,
J T

Neo Coffee Bar - Frederick & Front

Seems there's a new coffee shop going into the base of a condo building on Frederick St between King and Front. Almost directly across from a Starbucks, no less.

http://app.toronto.ca/ApplicationStatus/details.do?folderRsn=3690431

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Under Review

TORONTO M5A 4P3

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 15 108545 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Jan 26, 2015

Project: Multiple Unit Building Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal for interior alterations to ground floor unit for new restaurant, less than 30 seats - Neo Coffee Bar

Questionable location considering there's so many great coffee shops in the area already (Starbucks not being one of them).

There are lots of good ones around, but since I like coffee shops, I'm always happy to see another. It is very much near the centre of the George Brown campus so that might make the location better than it seems at first glance.

There are lots of good ones around, but since I like coffee shops, I'm always happy to see another. It is very much near the centre of the George Brown campus so that might make the location better than it seems at first glance.

Yeah the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. Anything is better than another bank, laundromat or pharmacy. I just hope there's a big enough market to support yet another coffee shop.

I know the new owner (a Czech dude) who bought the business from the previous owners (a German couple). He kept all their old recipes and yes, it's good stuff. He plans on franchising the business....which would be interesting. A chain of schnitzel restaurants? o_O

Back