News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 362     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 932     1 

St Lawrence Market

Prior to the release of the funds identified in recommendation 3.c. to the St. Lawrence Market Neighbourhood Business Improvement Area, City Council direct the City Solicitor to ensure the plaza at 109 Front Street East is fully accessible to the public, not gated from the street, available throughout the year (except for repairs or emergencies) and appropriately lit for safety after dark through an easement in favour of the City to the satisfaction to the City Solicitor.

I'm curious about the real impact of this item. As far as I know the space in front of the building has been open and accessible. Will they be adding lighting or seating?

I'm curious about the real impact of this item. As far as I know the space in front of the building has been open and accessible. Will they be adding lighting or seating?
IIRC before COVID the McDonalds side did have public seating in this plaza, and not only a few seats, there was something like ten four-person tables.
Perhaps the intention is to bring that back that and maybe expand it further along the whole length of the strip?

The City report is approving a capital investment on the City's part, in conjunction w/the BIA in this space.

The City can't spend money to upgrade someone's private property in most circumstances (there are exceptions such as energy efficiency, heritage restoration and the like under certain circumstances).

In this case, the City is simply seeking to secure in writing that its investment in public space will be available to the public in perpetuity.

FYI - Richmond Street E will be closed for part of the day today from Ontario to Sherbourne for a crane replacing the cooling tower/chiller at 323 Richmond.

@DSC has probably shared with us what the renos in the South Market are this year, but as I'm not recalling that, I will flag him down.

I mulling over CREM's budget and found:

1710621313831.png

and

1710621339432.png

so $1,797,000 this year and $1,500,000 next year for a total of just under $3,300,000

@DSC has probably shared with us what the renos in the South Market are this year, but as I'm not recalling that, I will flag him down.

I mulling over CREM's budget and found:

View attachment 548779

and

View attachment 548780

so $1,797,000 this year and $1,500,000 next year for a total of just under $3,300,000
The Market announced plans to re-jig the lower floor of South Market a couple of years ago. This was discussed here at the time (2019 or 2020??) and this may be for that but tey also apparently need new transformers and electrical work. I will see if I can get more info.

For many years the old Mayor's Chair (it apparently dates from the 1920s or 1930s) was on display in the Market Gallery - former City Council Chamber,

It has, I am told, been removed as it has "Colonial implications". Sounds pretty bizarre - it looks like a large chair to me!

Here it is in 1930 (with Mayor Day and Mary Pickford!) and 2008 (in the Gallery.

Mayors chair.jpg

Mayors chair in gallery.jpg

According to the local St Lawrence Historian (and official historian of the Market) Bruce Bell. Mayors in the 19th century got personal chairs and the one removed from display belonged to Mayor Shaw, the last Mayor to preside at a Council meeting in what is now the Market Gallery - in 1899. It may well NOT be either of the chairs I posted above but ......

Walking around, I've noticed some more restaurant openings coming to the neighbourhood. Nice to see after those years of nothing but closures.

At 22 The Esplanade (at Scott St) an Indian restaurant is going to replace the former Eggspectations.

At 140 The Esplanade (east of Jarvis) a new taco place called 3 Mariachis is going to replace former Good Good cafe (previously Farm'r and Times Square Fish and Chips.) Their website and Instagram indicates they already have locations in Vaughan and Richmond Hill. Looks like a fun place.

At 69 Front St East at Church a new restaurant called The Berczy Tavern is going to replace the former Papillon. A job listing online says they will be operated by the same people who run Amano Trattoria a little further south on Church (I think they also have a location called Amano Italian Kitchen in Union Station which I enjoyed.)

3mariachis.jpg
berczytavern.jpg

The Amano people are starting a bit of an empire around Union Station and to the east. They run the Union Chicken in Union Station as well as at least two of the food stalls in the "foodie aisle" (Mikey's Smash Burgers and MightyBird). I think they also own the Carbon Bar and were planning that "Queenston" place in the station. Maybe more.

The Amano people are starting a bit of an empire around Union Station and to the east. They run the Union Chicken in Union Station as well as at least two of the food stalls in the "foodie aisle" (Mikey's Smash Burgers and MightyBird). I think they also own the Carbon Bar and were planning that "Queenston" place in the station. Maybe more.
Their Union Chicken outpost at Sherway failed however.

Back