News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 362     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 932     1 

St Lawrence Market

Excellent news! I've been hoping for a good bakery at the market. Now I won't have to cross the bridge for decent sourdough! It's also good to hear the city isn't looking to add another prepared food counter.

Will Scheffler's keep the Whitehouse counter layout? I imagine it will need to be redesigned to actually give them more space?

The sourdough from Spaccio/Sud Forno is a bit better than Blackbird, though both are of course excellent. Schefflers has quite a bit of shelf space for canned goods, etc. that will need to be accommodated somehow.

Finally some really good bread coming to the market!

I wonder if they are talking to someone like Peter Sanagan, or Vince Gasparro's sons?

I can't say I'd be enthused for Sanagan.

His role in opposing the pedestrianization of Kensington, including making arguments I believe he knew were misleading has soured me some on his business.

That to one side, I believe they're seeing if they can't secure a greater diversity of vendors with different focus (ie. Caribbean or Indigenous viewpoints).

That's not meant as simple tokenism, but rather a butcher that might specialize goat and oxtail etc or a perhaps a vendor focused on wild/native foods.

I don't know which vendor they have in mind for this space, but that is a general point of focus the them (SLM) in curating the mix here.

I can't say I'd be enthused for Sanagan.

His role in opposing the pedestrianization of Kensington, including making arguments I believe he knew were misleading has soured me some on his business.

That to one side, I believe they're seeing if they can't secure a greater diversity of vendors with different focus (ie. Caribbean or Indigenous viewpoints).

That's not meant as simple tokenism, but rather a butcher that might specialize goat and oxtail etc or a perhaps a vendor focused on wild/native foods.

I don't know which vendor they have in mind for this space, but that is a general point of focus the them (SLM) in curating the mix here.

I was in Sanagans this past weekend while in Kensington and I was not really impressed with the selection. It was your standard butcher of which there are several at St Lawrence.

As for wild/native foods that is something which drew me to Whitehouse Meats.

Whitehouse was one of the few places I could buy Alpaca Jerky, Crocodile Burgers and Kangaroo Steaks in Toronto.

I was in Sanagans this past weekend while in Kensington and I was not really impressed with the selection. It was your standard butcher of which there are several at St Lawrence.

Whitehouse was one of the few places I could buy Alpaca Jerky, Crocodile Burgers and Kangaroo Steaks in Toronto.
Whitehouse certainly did have these meats but none are native (at least to Canada) and I doubt many/any were wild!

Interesting meats to be sure; but crocodile isn't typically wild, they are farmed for meat.

Kangaroo is typically harvested from the wild.

Neither, of course, are native to Ontario.

Whitehouse Meats still has a store on Bloor near Royal York.

Whitehouse Meats still has a store on Bloor near Royal York.
Is it the same store?

I thought it was something completely different

Started as the same company, but a few years ago, the sister took the St. Lawrence location (closed); the brother took theLeaside location and later opened Kingsway, still open. ''

1709904007874.png

From here: https://leasidelife.com/stanley-janacek-meets-cute-at-white-house-meats/

In summer 2024 the City will be installing and repairing sewers and watermains on The Esplanade and adjacent streets. This is expected to start in a few weeks.

In preparation, Enbridge are moving a gas main on The Esplanade from Lower Jarvis to George St South. This is starting NEXT week.

When the gas and the water work is finished, the bike track on The Esplanade will be upgraded and raised and work will start on the planned upgrades to David Crombie Park.

1709916580915.png

Last edited:

MM16.11 - Authorization to Release Section 37 Funds for Ward 13 2023 Participatory Budgeting Projects for the St. Lawrence Neighbourhood - by Councillor Chris Moise, seconded by Councillor Shelley Carroll​

Councillor Chris Moise, seconded by Councillor Shelley Carroll, recommends that:

1. City Council amend the Transportation Services 2024-2033 Capital Budget and Plan to create a new capital sub-project for the development of the following projects, as outlined in Appendix A:

a. $2400.00 gross, $0 debt, fully funded by Section 37 (Planning Act Reserve Fund) community benefits obtained from the development at 65-77 King Street East and 46 Colborne Street (Source Account: XR3026-3701018) for the purpose of installing bike corrals near i) 2 Berkeley Street; ii) 120 King Street East; and iii) 34-36 King Street East; and

b. $800.00 gross, $0 debt, funded by Section 37 (Planning Act Reserve Fund) community benefits obtained from the development at 40 The Esplanade (Source Account: XR3026-3700065) for the purpose of installing a bike corral near 26 Wellington Street East.

2. City Council amend Transportation Services 2024-2033 Capital Budget and Plan to create a new capital sub-project for additional heritage street signage in the St. Lawrence Neighbourhood, as outlined in Appendix A, fully funded by Section 37 (Planning Act Reserve Fund) community benefits obtained from the development at 6-18 Church Street and 51-63 Front Street East (70 The Esplanade) (Source Account: XR3026-3700344) for the purpose of installing six additional heritage street signs to promote the visual identity of the neighbourhood.

3. City Council increase the 2024 Operating Budget for Non-Program for the purpose of forwarding funds to the St. Lawrence Market Neighbourhood Business Improvement Area for the development of the following projects, as outlined in Appendix A:

a. $50,000.00 gross, $0 net, fully funded by Section 37 (Planning Act Reserve Fund) community benefits at 53, 61 and 65 Ontario Street, and 102 Berkeley Street (Source Account: XR3026-3700872) for the purpose of installing hard planters for more growing spaces (Cost Centre: NP2161);

b. $5,000.00 gross, $0 net, fully funded by Section 37 (Planning Act Reserve Fund) community benefits at 176-178 Front Street East and 33 Sherbourne Street (Source Account: XR3026-3701237) for the purpose of installing ten heritage street banners within the original ten blocks of the Town of York (Cost Centre: NP2161); and

c. $150,000.00 gross, $0 net, fully funded by Section 37 (Planning Act Reserve Fund) community benefits at 176-178 Front Street East and 33 Sherbourne Street (Source Account: XR3026-3701237) for the purpose of installing street furniture in the public realm location of 109 Front Street East in the plaza between Jarvis Street and George Street (Cost Centre: NP2161).

4. City Council direct that $155,000.00 be forwarded to the St. Lawrence Market Neighbourhood Business Improvement Area, subject to the Business Improvement Area signing an Undertaking governing the use of the funds and the financial reporting requirements.

5. Prior to the release of the funds identified in recommendation 3.c. to the St. Lawrence Market Neighbourhood Business Improvement Area, City Council direct the City Solicitor to ensure the plaza at 109 Front Street East is fully accessible to the public, not gated from the street, available throughout the year (except for repairs or emergencies) and appropriately lit for safety after dark through an easement in favour of the City to the satisfaction to the City Solicitor.

6. City Council direct that the use of Section 37 community benefits be prominently recognized in documents and promotional materials, including on any construction hoarding, in consultation with the Ward Councillor.

Summary​

Participatory Budgeting (PB) is a system of direct democracy where residents imagine how their neighbourhood could be improved, suggest potential ideas and then vote on how funds are spent to improve their community through capital projects. 2023 was the first year Participatory Budgeting was implemented in Toronto Centre to determine how community benefits funding should be allocated.

Between May 25 to November 1, 2023, my office hosted online and in-person engagements with local residents and business improvement areas to crowdsource ideas. These ideas were then vetted for costing and feasibility with City staff and presented to the local community to vote on which projects they would like to see funded.

In the St. Lawrence Neighbourhood, nine projects were supported by the local community that fit within the allocated budget of $750,000:

• new street planters at four intersections;
  • heritage street banners for the original 10 blocks of Town of York;
  • a new public plaza at 109 Front Street East
  • custom vinyl-wrapped garbage receptacles;
  • new street furniture;
  • new bicycle parking;
  • cafe tables and chairs for St. James Park;
  • new St. Lawrence Heritage Conversation District street signs; and,
  • replacement of dead or dying trees in the neighbourhood.

The release of funds for these projects would allow for locally supported capital projects to move forward in a timely manner. Funding for custom vinyl-wrapped garbage receptacles, new street furniture and new cafe tables and chairs for St. James Park require additional review. Funding for replacing dead or dying trees in the neighbourhood has been removed following a conversation with Parks, Forestry and Recreation as it is not eligible for Section 37 funding and is not included in this motion.

Back