News   Apr 26, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 445     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Spate of Pedestrian Deaths in GTA

Yup. People are entirely too distracted by their phones and I can't honestly believe that people think they can drive and txt at the same time. There should be some severe fines for people caught doing this.

I know I've said this before, but all these pedestrians are getting hit by cars because they entered the road space. Rarely does a car leave the road and hit people on the sidewalk or elsewhere - it does happen, but not nearly with the frequency of people entering the car's domain. People need to treat the road as a real danger, same as busy railway tracks; your life is in your hands, and if you don't take care when entering the road space, you're dead.

Pedestrians need to use crosswalks, i see so many jay walkers everyday, i nearly ran over a young girl a few weeks back while she was jay walking, i leaned on the horn and she just turns and gives me the finger. Ok you dumb B**** i will just run ya over next time. If the police want to get serious and stop cell phone drivers, they will have go undercover, you can spot a cop especially a traffic cop a mile away with his bright green safety vest.

Last edited by a moderator:
The article did say they gave out 1,000 tickets to jaywalkers on Sunday. And yes, drivers with cell phones are distracted and dangerous, but so are pedestrians and cyclists who walk and text or bike and text.

Agree with many pedestrians not crossing where they should be and jaywalking everywhere. I'm guilty of this as well but I'm always looking both ways continously and try to wait for breaks in traffic.

Jaywalking is not a crime in Ontario.

H.T.A = abbreviation for Ontario’s Highway Traffic Act

Pedestrian fail to use cross-walk – subsection 144(22) of the H.T.A – Set Fine = $35.00

Pedestrian disobey flashing green light – subsection 144(24) of the H.T.A – Set Fine = $35.00

Pedestrian disobey red light – subsection 144(25) of the H.T.A – Set Fine = $35.00

Pedestrian disobey amber light – subsection 144(25) of the H.T.A – Set Fine = $35.00

Pedestrian disobey “don’t walk†signal – subsection 144(27) – Set Fine = $35.00

Cyclist — ride in or along crosswalk – subsection 144(29) – Set Fine = $35.00

The article did say they gave out 1,000 tickets to jaywalkers on Sunday. And yes, drivers with cell phones are distracted and dangerous, but so are pedestrians and cyclists who walk and text or bike and text.

i almost jaywalked in front of a cop today on church street but caught myself just in time

H.T.A = abbreviation for Ontario’s Highway Traffic Act

Pedestrian fail to use cross-walk – subsection 144(22) of the H.T.A – Set Fine = $35.00

Pedestrian disobey flashing green light – subsection 144(24) of the H.T.A – Set Fine = $35.00

Pedestrian disobey red light – subsection 144(25) of the H.T.A – Set Fine = $35.00

Pedestrian disobey amber light – subsection 144(25) of the H.T.A – Set Fine = $35.00

Pedestrian disobey “don’t walk” signal – subsection 144(27) – Set Fine = $35.00
Jaywalking is crossing the street between intersections - recklessly. If your disobeying a signal, or not using an available cross-walk, then you are not, by definition, jay walking.

What's the fine for crossing the street when there is no traffic lights or crosswalk nearby?

Jaywalking is crossing the street between intersections - recklessly. If your disobeying a signal, or not using an available cross-walk, then you are not, by definition, jay walking.

What's the fine for crossing the street when there is no traffic lights or crosswalk nearby?

If there is a fine, then every driver who steps out their car or walks on the street to get to the driver's door of a parked car on a street would have to be charged.

From Wikipedia:

Jaywalking is an informal term commonly used in North America to refer to illegal or reckless pedestrian crossing of a roadway. Examples include a pedestrian crossing between intersections (outside a crosswalk, marked or unmarked) without yielding to drivers and starting to cross a crosswalk at a signalized intersection without waiting for a permissive indication to be displayed. In the United States, state statutes generally reflect the Uniform Vehicle Code in requiring drivers to yield the right of way to pedestrians at crosswalks; at other locations, crossing pedestrians are either required to yield to drivers or, under some conditions, are prohibited from crossing.

Unfortunately, the definition of "nearby" is very subjective.

If there is a fine, then every driver who steps out their car or walks on the street to get to the driver's door of a parked car on a street would have to be charged.
Surely simply stepping off the curb to walk to a parked car next to the curb doesn't meet the definition of "crossing the road".

(there's a fowl joke in here somewhere).

Back