News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 624     0 

SOS Yonge St.

Centre and John buses can run down to Clark, and there's nothing bt mansions around Centre & Yonge, so a stop there needn't even be well-used enough to bother building when you have Clark and Royal Orchard...hence my previous pool guess.

In the central part of York Region, the second concession north of Steeles (aka HIghway 7 aka Centre St. aka Green Lane aka 14th Ave) is interrupted, broken, and completely lacks any major transit route.

I wonder why the first 2 concessions never evolved into 2 major arterials, and instead became 1 concession-jumping Hwy.7. Back when the area between Steeles/7 and Bathurst/Bayview was developed, you would'nt think anyone would have had any qualms about pushing a major road through old Thornhill.

I'd bet actual money that Royal Orchard/Bay Thorn will get a stop...it's almost a given, really. A Centre stop would have to go south of Centre, and the 407 stop could end up being way up next to SilverCity. Some people are guaranteed to complain that Cummer/Drewry won't get a stop even if Finch is north of Finch and Steeles is south of Steeles, but the potential Royal Orchard gap is probably just too far to stomach, especially with the existing apartments, the opportunity to connect with YRT route 3, etc.

I'd bet actual money that Royal Orchard/Bay Thorn will get a stop...it's almost a given, really. A Centre stop would have to go south of Centre, and the 407 stop could end up being way up next to SilverCity. Some people are guaranteed to complain that Cummer/Drewry won't get a stop even if Finch is north of Finch and Steeles is south of Steeles, but the potential Royal Orchard gap is probably just too far to stomach, especially with the existing apartments, the opportunity to connect with YRT route 3, etc.
even though its a small factor, but royal orchard has that plaza there, while centre really has nothing but those small shops on yonge which are useless, besides the tim hortons.

i could also see the parking lot there being used by transit users from bayview and the surrounding area.

Royal orchard is suppose to see redevelopment but not in our life time.

When I ride the Blue line, there are only 2 stops for the extension and that is Clark and RHC. The land density is so low its hard to jusitfy a subway in the first place.

Only Clark has some that will support a stations and there that large Condo complex to go in.

Centre is the Old Thornhill centre and zone for looooooooooow density in the first place to protect it.

Regardless there is a subway there or not, there needs to be transit on Yonge in the first place and that is LRT.

In all the EA's studies for Yonge and 7, LRT is in the picture.

If you look at the amount of service on Yonge now and the ridership of the Blue, going to an LRT from day one for the ROW is a must.

The current fleet would then go over to Purple as it going to take a lot longer to get the ridership up. Also, the line will be part of Brampton Queen/7 BRT under the control of GTTA.

"Density" around stations doesn't matter. If it did, the entire Yonge line would never have been built because Rosedale, Hogg's Hollow, Willowdale bungalows, etc., would all have meant there's very little "density" along Yonge. 50 years later, however...

"Density" around stations doesn't matter. If it did, the entire Yonge line would never have been built because Rosedale, Hogg's Hollow, Willowdale bungalows, etc., would all have meant there's very little "density" along Yonge. 50 years later, however...

There less there now then when Toronto line was built. Build it and they will come.

The population density of Thornhill isn't even low by comparison to other regions in the GTA. North York has a population density of about 3500 ppsqkm. Thornhill has a density of about 3200 ppsqkm. A lot of new highrise and infill developments are ongoing in Thornhill and will raise that number substantially over the next few years.

Only Clark has some that will support a stations and there that large Condo complex to go in.

Centre is the Old Thornhill centre and zone for looooooooooow density in the first place to protect it.

Regardless there is a subway there or not, there needs to be transit on Yonge in the first place and that is LRT.

In all the EA's studies for Yonge and 7, LRT is in the picture.

I think people need to bear in mind how close Clark and Centre are. A "Thornhill station" could easily serve both intersections. I mean, if the station were right at Clark there could be a north exit less than 1 min walk from Centre (at John?). It is worth bearing in mind that though the neighbourhoods on either side are low density, the stretch of Yonge there is slated for redevelopment (albeit 3-5 stories, rather than skyscrapers).

As others have said, Centre itself is low density and I think the topography of the hill there makes it an unlikely stop. On the other hand, the Tim Horton's ugly plaza at John St is a perfect site for a subway exit and a 5-story condo.

I also think it is highly unlikely there would be 2 stations between Steeles and 7. I figure it'll be Clark/John or Royal Orchard (more likely the former). In the meantime, it's fun to drive down the stretch and try to speculate.

^ If the York U line can have 3 mid-block stops (Sheppard West, York University and 407 Transitway) I don't see why both Clark-John and Royal Orchard couldn't exist. Unless they plan in the long run to expand past Highway 7 it'd be wise to rough in the Royal Orchard station to keep a quick interchange directly on Yonge Street without the Langstaff jog for routes such as GO express and 99 Yonge.

Sheppard West and 407 are meant to connect with other major transit routes (GO and the Transitway). Meanwhile York is going to be a major trip generator. Can't see that happening with Royal Orchard.

I live at Yonge and Clark, and I can tell you that Clark does see a fairly decent ridership on the Yonge bus. There are several apartment buildings, a high-school and multiple condos and townhouses near the intersection. I think Clark would be a fairly used station and it should be named Thornhill. I wouldn't think Centre Street deserves a stop as there is not much there but some heritage buildings. Which means there would be no place to place the station entrance.

Royal Orchard should get a stop since there is a plaza there as well as numerous apartment and condo towers. Without Royal Orchard, it is a long stretch or about 4km from Clark to Hwy 7.

I'm hoping the subway stops will be: Steeles, Thornhill (Clark-John), Royal Orchard, Hwy7

Sheppard West is crazy until the housing in Downsview Park starts to get built and the GO line has all-day service. It should be roughed in and nothing more, or it will be by far the most underused station on the whole system.

Back