News   May 17, 2024
 3.1K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

What on earth is the point of having those nicely rounded and angled beams if they're going to be obscured (read: covered up) by a hundreds of straight 2x4s? Are the (glulam?) beams supposed to be a different colour or something to make them stand out?

I always wondered what the point of having a visible gallery was if it would obscured by all the beams...

It's only obscured if you look at it from an acute angle - look at it dead on, and the views of the inside will be framed.

I am hoping that the sculptures to be installed in these galleries will be lit with spotlights and that otherwise the galleria will not be lit at night. Looking in from the outside - well inside views too - could be amazing if there are repeated pools of light glowing through the visor when it is all finished. Waiting expectantly...

^
Re:Front Gallery
This gallery is slated for contemporary art. I think when people (I'm speaking of N.Americans (not incl. NYC.)) see "sculpture gallery", they think Michelangelo, Rodin and maybe Moore if your in Toronto. Instead people should be thinking of Turbine Hall (tate modern--yes, I know it's not as big, but you get the point).
JM

I don't recall any announcement saying that Galleria Italia will only have contemporary sculpture. When was that made, jaymckay?

SNF: I had also gained the impression that the glass would be curved to match the curve of the glulam ribs beneath. Normally I'm sceptical of graphic renderings of any kind and try to "read between the lines" of what they show. Beyond a general idea of proportions, materials, how the building fits the site, and the general design logic of what's shown, I try not to buy into the idea that what is represented is exactly what we'll get. I think I made that mistake, in assuming the glass would be curved, with this building. When jaborandi and I saw the three parallel angled rows of framing for the glass we both had one of those "oh dear" moments. But we pulled ourselves together and moved on.

The idea of Galleria Italia is just as strong and compelling as ever, but the reality of how the glass screen looks just a little less than it could/should have been.

I don't recall any announcement saying that Galleria Italia will only have contemporary sculpture.

I would think the installation would have to do more with materials. With all that natural light, I'd only expect them to install stone and metal sculptures here. I'd be surprised if the big Oldenburg hamburger were.

Yes, I believe that thing's a nighmare to look after. It looked a bit ratty the last time I saw it.

Anything involving rotting meat, flies, or elephant dung would be a bitch to maintain under the sunlight in the Galleria as well.

I don't recall any announcement saying that Galleria Italia will only have contemporary sculpture. When was that made, jaymckay?
I'm not sure if it will be only contemporary but the floor plans have it labeled as contemporary:
2066179997_ed44a1a410.jpg

I highly doubt that they would put anything fragile in here such as The Hamburger--I would guess that would go up on the 5th or 6th floor. I know the Italian donors wanted to donate work for this gallery--fingers crossed for a Catalan (but I'm not holding my breath). Personally I hope they use it for temporary installations where artist can work with the space. And I've liked what the new curator has done over the last few years--so fingers crossed again. A lot of fingers crossed--but even if it's not used well it still will be a terrific hallway.

I wonder if the AGO gave any thought to speaking to the City about co-ordinating on a general clean-up of that stretch of Dundas. The row houses across the road are rather handsome, but their effect is ruined, as is so often the case in T-O, by the tangle of crappy sidewalks, ludicrous utility infrastructure, and total lack of streetscaping. The next step in Toronto's attempt to become a better-looking city has got to be the improvement of the interstitial spaces like that--fancy one-off buildings aren't enough.

I know, I know. Streetscaping (or even street-de-crapifying) in Toronto. Crazy idea.

I really do recall reading somewhere that they would literally be bending the glass in-situ to match the curves, and it was one of the big technical challenges of the job. Does anyone else remember seeing that?

I really do recall reading somewhere that they would literally be bending the glass in-situ to match the curves, and it was one of the big technical challenges of the job. Does anyone else remember seeing that?
Ya, I remember reading that. It's possible they were planning the curved glass for the wing (or fins, or wizzle-wazzle, or whatever you want to call them). Or they decided it was too expensive. Or the same effect will happen without the curved glass. Who knows. Actually someone could ask the AGO Construction Blog people (I'd do it but I just asked them a question--don't want to seem like too much of a sidewalk superintendent outside of this blog :(). They seem to know what's going on.

I wonder if the AGO gave any thought to speaking to the City about co-ordinating on a general clean-up of that stretch of Dundas. The row houses across the road are rather handsome, but their effect is ruined, as is so often the case in T-O, by the tangle of crappy sidewalks, ludicrous utility infrastructure, and total lack of streetscaping. The next step in Toronto's attempt to become a better-looking city has got to be the improvement of the interstitial spaces like that--fancy one-off buildings aren't enough.

I know, I know. Streetscaping (or even street-de-crapifying) in Toronto. Crazy idea.

You are 100% right!! I'd forego any more buildings whatsoever if they would instead clean up the public realm of the city. Worthy of a thread no?

Back