News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Sobeys

Nice store. Bright, clean and with a pretty cool "loftish" look to the place. I think it's slightly cheaper than Dominion's and definitely cheaper than Loblaw's. Everything I saw seemed fresh, but as others have suggested, time will tell.

I can assure you it's more expensive than both!

It also seems as if every time I go there there's problems checking things out, for some reason monster energy drink is $2.99 on the shelf but $2.49 in the fridge for exactly the same thing, of course the Monster in the fridge rings up at $2.99, which caused a headache so I decided to switch it for another energy drink listed at $2.49, the lady rings it up... $7.99!

I agree, on the whole I think it's slightly more pricey than Dominion. Maybe the same as Loblaws. But they have quite a few things on sale which are decently priced, so it averages out okay.

And yeah, a lot of the checkout staff seem to be new to the job, so they're a little slow, but so far I prefer their sluggish friendly innocence to the crusty ol' folks at Dominion. At least they always have a lot of registers open. It's only been a week so I'm hoping they'll work out some of the pricing and staff issues over the next while... once the novelty wears off I'll start complaining :)

It also seems as if every time I go there there's problems checking things out, for some reason monster energy drink is $2.99 on the shelf but $2.49 in the fridge for exactly the same thing, of course the Monster in the fridge rings up at $2.99, which caused a headache so I decided to switch it for another energy drink listed at $2.49, the lady rings it up... $7.99!

Sobey's uses the scanning code of practice IIRC, so you can get those drinks for free.
http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/internet/index.cfm?itemID=1262&lg=e

I am so glad that this Sobeys finally opened up, as it's an even closer walk than the (subpar) Dominion. Back in the day I worked at a Sobeys, and I've always liked them the best. Their sub rolls can't be beat, and they have the best selection of prepared foods. A little pricey, yes, but worth the price. Time will tell, like mentioned already, but I've found that around where I used to live Sobeys seemed to run a tighter ship than the other big grocery stores.

Sobeys Rosebury Square

Just saw in the Toronto Star this morning that the old, tired IGA in Rosebury Square (on Marlee between Eglinton and Lawrence just west of the Allen Expressway) is being changed into a Sobeys

Checked it out

Checked out the new Sobeys (Front) myself today.

Took me this long cause I still live a bit east of downtown, not far from the Danforth Sobeys.

At any rate:

1) Points for Bison And Duck at the fresh meat counter...

Minus points - No Bambi or rabbit

2) Points for carrying Ace Breads products, about time!

Minus points for putting Organic Apples and potatoes in the fridge.....

3) Points for carrying Green & Blacks Organic Chocolate Bars

Minus points for not carrying a single brand of really good Hot Chocolate

4) Points for a reasonablly nice decor, like the lighting, the open-ness, reasonably attractive displays

Minus points for only 2 cashiers open at 5pm on a Saturday and one whose conveyor thingy didn't work!

Overall I give them a 7/10 as a grocery store

Up from 6/10 for most Sobeys or Dominions or Loblaws

But below 8.8 out of 10 for Whole Foods

And the 9.5 I'm saving for Mark McEwan's new Supermarket at the Don Mills Centre, when it opens in late 2008

Sobey's uses the scanning code of practice IIRC, so you can get those drinks for free.
http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/i...emID=1262&lg=e

Thanks, I pulled this one out on them last night. Again the energy drink I was buying rang up at the wrong price, I pointed out that I should be entitled to it free... then the b*tch at the register said no, I have to leave the store first and bring it back with my receipt. I was like umm... show me where it says that in writing, she couldn't. I was getting cash back and paid for everything via debit (I was a little drunk, not sure why I paid for it while demanding it be free), 2 co-workers heard what was going on and both backed me up, so I got a refund for my drink... after a hassle. Why can't they have their pricing issues figured out by now? The grocery manager isn't doing their job very well...

Are more Sobey's ever going to open outside of downtown? The closest one to me is Mount Pleasant & Eglinton.

And the 9.5 I'm saving for Mark McEwan's new Supermarket at the Don Mills Centre, when it opens in late 2008

First I've heard of this...sounds like an east-of-Yonge Pusateri's rival (unless that title's already taken by the five thieves).

Are more Sobey's ever going to open outside of downtown? The closest one to me is Mount Pleasant & Eglinton.

I woudn't be surprised to see them change the Parkway Forest IGA (on Don Mills Road near the 401) to a Sobeys at some time in the future. Sobeys also owns the Price Chopper and IGA banners so any of these stores within the Toronto area could potentially be converted to Sobeys stores.

They are also opening a new Sobeys store just south of Eglinton and Laird that is well under construction and looks like it will open some time in late January.

In North York and Scarborough combined, there's only 1 Sobeys...plenty of room for growth. Yonge & Sheppard or Finch would be an ideal place for a Sobeys because a) the area's actually losing supermarkets to condos, b) this makes no sense because condos add people, people that tend to need food, and c) it'd be more competition for all the Dominions and Loblaws in the area.

Again the energy drink I was buying rang up at the wrong price, I pointed out that I should be entitled to it free... then the b*tch at the register said no, I have to leave the store first and bring it back with my receipt. I was like umm... show me where it says that in writing, she couldn't. I was getting cash back and paid for everything via debit (I was a little drunk, not sure why I paid for it while demanding it be free), 2 co-workers heard what was going on and both backed me up, so I got a refund for my drink... after a hassle.

Good for you! And extra points for doing so while drunk.

Thanks, I pulled this one out on them last night. Again the energy drink I was buying rang up at the wrong price, I pointed out that I should be entitled to it free... then the b*tch at the register said no, I have to leave the store first and bring it back with my receipt. I was like umm... show me where it says that in writing, she couldn't. I was getting cash back and paid for everything via debit (I was a little drunk, not sure why I paid for it while demanding it be free), 2 co-workers heard what was going on and both backed me up, so I got a refund for my drink... after a hassle. Why can't they have their pricing issues figured out by now? The grocery manager isn't doing their job very well...

haha nice work. if it's not being run too well, maybe you can get a free drink more than once ;)

From: http://www.retailingtoday.com/story.aspx?section=FoodConsumables&id=34557
________
Food co-branding advances in Canada
By Mike Duff

STELLARTON , Nova Scotia (Dec. 11) Co-branding in private label food has emerged as a trend, and a recent example involving Canadian supermarket chain Sobeys suggests why it is an increasingly popular option for retailers who want to address particular issues.

Sobeys has struck a deal with Disney Consumer Products for a co-branded kids’ food and healthy beauty aids line dubbed Compliments Junior Disney that includes nearly 100 new products, the majority of which are formulated to address acute nutritional issues. Of course, Sobeys isn’t the first food retailer to co-brand a private label. It isn’t even the first to do so with Disney. Disney Magic Selections launched at Kroger in 2006, featuring Disney and Disney Pixar characters—as does Sobeys Compliments Junior —on the packaging of a 100-SKU food and health and beauty aid line. Like Sobeys Compliments Junior, Kroger offers a heavy concentration of healthy alternatives. The program was set for expansion this year to baby and toddler products, personal care and floral items.

With children’s health and obesity concerns rife in both the United States and Canada, demand for products with a superior nutritional profile has grown. The approach that both Kroger and Sobeys have followed provides instant recognition, and even a degree of credibility via the Disney name. The Disney co-brands also specifically associate the chains with efforts to boost children’s health in the markets they serve, a nice point of differentiation.

Not all co-branding efforts are focused on children or even health. Costco’s co-branding of its Kirkwood private label with Paul Newman and Martha Stewart plays to the wellness trend to a degree, but also introduces a gourmet element into the own-brand story.

At Sobeys, the Disney name is married to the supermarket operator’s Compliments private label. The co-branded line includes Compliments Junior Disney Mickey Burgers, Compliments Junior Disney Alpha-Taters mashed potato letters and Compliments Junior Disney fruit Pic-Mix dried fruit snack. While not every product might be considered healthy, 75% of Compliments Junior Disney products meet the criteria of the Canadian Heart & Stroke Foundation’s Health Check initiative, providing a designation that’s similar to the heart-check seal awarded by the American Heart Association’s Food Certification Program.

Compliments Junior Disney also addresses the concerns of busy parents by including among the package graphics a Canada’s Food Guide serving information icon that highlights the applicable daily serving of vegetables and fruit, grains, dairy and alternatives, or meat and alternatives. Packaging also offers key positive product attributes through the use of four icons, highlighting the nutritional benefits each product delivers as it impacts the health of teeth, bones, eyes or muscles. All products are formulated for easy preparation to help out adults who need convenience in coping with their busy routines, and are priced at a discount of about 20% to competitive branded products to aid family budgets.

As the 100-SKU size of the launch suggests, the Compliments Junior Disney program was intended to address children’s nutritional issues as comprehensively as was practical. “From the start, we designed Compliments Junior Disney around healthful products,†Scott Cooper, Sobeys vp of consumer marketing and location planning for corporate brands, told Retailing Today, but he added that the retailer, in taking the broad view, kept in mind that food items kids won’t eat can’t be healthy. “They have to taste great and have to have a dimension of fun.â€

The fun angle is important as today’s kids are increasingly vocal about products purchased for them. Character tie-ins inform children that the products have their sensibilities in mind. Disney, by virtue of its long history in children’s entertainment, may be regarded as something of an authority on both the sensibilities of children, as well as their uniqueness and sensitivities. “Disney did a great job helping us segment the product portfolio properly to target kids of different ages,†Cooper said.

Which suggests another advantage of co-branding—bringing new kinds of consumer product experience into a retailer’s private label program. In the case of Compliments Junior Disney, that meant helping Sobeys modify the program to the consumer and regulatory requirements of the Canadian market.

Julie Mills, Disney’s senior manager of food, health, beauty and pets for Canada, said food products have become a priority for the company in its role as a licensor. Disney especially wants to identify itself with solution-oriented items for today’s families, so it is working with partners to develop convenient, healthy products that use graphics and flavor to entertain kids as vehicle to improve their health. Disney’s support of its co-brands doesn’t stop there, though. Disney has been working with Sobeys on a big promotional push that will introduce Canada to Compliments Junior Disney throughout the coming months.

“This will be one of largest marketing support programs Sobeys will be doing this year,†Mills noted. “There will be TV, radio, print and Web advertising, as well as a lot in-store. Sobeys will be using wraps around their trucks to advertise. We’ve allowed them to use some of our best creative [and] given them access to our art library so they can best use our characters.â€

Thus, Disney has helped Sobeys develop a comprehensive program to address nutritional issues impacting Canadian children in a manner that meets parental needs, but also addresses the preferences of kids, even those kids who are normally wary of anything that might be good for them.

Sobeys Expansion In Toronto

I was reading a report by the Retail Analyst for CIBC World Markets by Perry Caicco on Metro (who owns Dominion and Food Basics) and this is what he had to say about Sobeys:

"Sobeys is grabbing sites left, right and centre and will soon announce a downtown acquisition. Independents are racing into the market. And a multi-national may have already sourced 20+ small-surface sites in the downtown core.)"

Has anyone heard anything about any of this?

Back