News   May 10, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.7K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Sobeys

Sobeys is opening another Urban Fresh store on Balliol St just east of Yonge on June 20.

This location is kind of unique, because they took over an entire strip mall (though it was small, only 2-3 stores). My friend lives near there and is upset because he lost his favourite video store.

I think you'll see more Blockbusters close soon. They've closed a ton of stores in the US. With Video On Demand and video delivery services like Netflix (which frankly offer much better value) there isn't much left for traditional stores.

The Front/Princess Sobeys is showing signs of slipping, on several occasions now I've bought the packaged bulk items with long passed expiry dates. In my drunken haze, it took me half a litre to realize the BBQ peanuts I was eating said "Best Before April 22, 2008" (I bought them last week). I don't imagine off-code peanuts are dangerous, but regardless, I've found a few irresponsible examples of not checking best before dates.

This location is kind of unique, because they took over an entire strip mall (though it was small, only 2-3 stores). My friend lives near there and is upset because he lost his favourite video store.

I think you'll see more Blockbusters close soon. They've closed a ton of stores in the US. With Video On Demand and video delivery services like Netflix (which frankly offer much better value) there isn't much left for traditional stores.

Blockbusters has horrible record keeping. I went in and they had suspended my membership - they said I hadn't returned a DVD - a title that I never rented. Nice to find out when you're standing at the counter with people right behind you. I disputed this and they turned it over to a collection agency for the $80. I went back to the store and set it right with the manager who did so with a snarl. Since then I've discovered books; haven't rented a thing since.

Rogers Video has been closing location fairly consistently as well lately.

Rogers Video has been closing location fairly consistently as well lately.

Last time I was in a Rogers Video the counter had two lineups, one for Rogers services (setting up internet, cell phones, paying bills, etc...) with a long line of people waiting and the other for the actual products and services of the Rogers Video... with no customers at all. "Anyone here to actually rent a movie? Hello?"

Weird thing that the Revue reopened about the same time that the Rogers Video across the street closed down. And as recently as 2003 it was the Gerard Kennedy re-election office (i.e. before Rogers opened in the spot)

So Sobeys has joined the affinity points race now with Club Sobeys.

I already shop at Sobeys most often because it is the most convenient supermarket to my home, so thank goodness they went with a system that can be converted into another type of travel points I already collect. I give up a little privacy by joining this club: now they know what I buy. Should I care that they now know that I like Astro Yogurt amongst other things?

Will anyone out there admit to being a slave to points? Or do you manage to buy only what you were going to anyway without being lured into crazy purchases just so you could amass points?

So Sobeys has joined the affinity points race now with Club Sobeys.

I already shop at Sobeys most often because it is the most convenient supermarket to my home, so thank goodness they went with a system that can be converted into another type of travel points I already collect. I give up a little privacy by joining this club: now they know what I buy. Should I care that they now know that I like Astro Yogurt amongst other things?

Will anyone out there admit to being a slave to points? Or do you manage to buy only what you were going to anyway without being lured into crazy purchases just so you could amass points?

Like you, I figure if I'm buying anyways, might as well enroll in a points program. Here at the office the finance types came down on me when they realized I was using my VISA Aeroplan to buy my travel and hotel because they didn't travel themselves.:D

Sobeys - Spadina

The new Railways lands Sobeys @ Spadina & Bremner is now open.

Holy @#$#

This is not a Sobey's Sobey's................Its a Pusateri's Sobeys! :eek:

Most Distinctive features:

Huge prepared foods area....featuring...chefs???? people who can and do cook anyway! You can have pizza made to order, including Margherita with fresh Basil. Also fresh sandwiches, pastas and stirfrys to order.

An incredible sushi bar, not quite T&T worthy, but close.

Loads more organics & gourmet products.

A sit-down cafe

A world-great supermarket? Not quite yet. But by far the best I've seen in this City from a major chain.

:D

Agree with the OP, the new Sobey's at the base of Montage/Neo is very nice.

The Faema espresso bar made me a decent capuccino. The cake selection was very good too (dufflets, ice cream cakes and more). Prices are about what'd you'd expect for the area, with some bargains to be had...

Back