News   May 08, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   May 08, 2024
 2.9K     3 

Snow/ice clearance and winter tires

Winter tires are far more than the traction they provide in snow. All season tires lose a significant amount of traction at temperatures below 7 degrees Celsius, while the softer rubber compound used in winter tires retains traction.

Sorry I've experienced the difference between driving on all seasons vs winter tires and will never go back. As such I support a rebate offered for each purchase of a set of winter tires.

I agree only if "vehicles" includes bicycles as we are so often prompted to believe they are vehicles too. Where are those cyclists these days anyways? Also, let's not forget the pedestrians, surely they must be compelled to wear skid proof footwear. I wouldn't want one losing control on a bit of ice and running into me.

Aha! :D Thought you were being serious for a second there.

But seriously though, speaking from experience anyone who uses a bike all year round should seriously consider getting a $60 beater in the winter with fat, nubby tires. Both for traction and to save money on parts and maintenance in the log run.

I know in some municipalities, they will advertise bus service on smog days. Perhaps Toronto should do the same in the case of major storms for those that HAVE to work. The less vehicles that are on the streets, the better the city can do at clearing them.

I worked about 5km from my house at one point and...

Why? Park the car and take transit on the rare occasion it snows.

I would take the transit. But, when it snowed badly (2008, 7 major storms) the traffic would slow to such a crawl that I would walk home and basically almost beat transit. Good exercise too. If it had been 20km, that would have been a different story! But I pity those who end up standing in a bus for an hour drive. Excruciating.

I would take the transit. But, when it snowed badly (2008, 7 major storms) the traffic would slow to such a crawl that I would walk home and basically almost beat transit. Good exercise too. If it had been 20km, that would have been a different story! But I pity those who end up standing in a bus for an hour drive. Excruciating.
That's why we need more LRT. My local streetcars are fine to get 5 km into downtown when it snows.

LOL. If I had a nickel each time the subway shut down north of Eglinton West or east of Victoria Park due to inclement weather...

Having never needing to travel on the above-ground parts, I actually wouldn't know about these things. I presume though TTC tracks would be one of the first things cleared during snowfalls.

LOL. If I had a nickel each time the subway shut down north of Eglinton West or east of Victoria Park due to inclement weather...

Or leaves!

I don't ride the subway as much as some other people, but in all the time I have I don't remember ever having a subway delayed due to snow.

One, you live in Mississauga and two, it doesn't result in a delay but a full shutdown and turnbacks with shuttle buses.

What does Mississauga have to do with it? Pssst, your bias is showing

Anyway, can you provide an example?

Back