News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 365     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 934     1 

Sherway Gardens Pictures?

That was a great place; salisbury steak and meat loaf. Jello in stemmed glass cups on beds of ice.

When did you eat there? I worked there in '78 and we had a huge roast beef to cut, amazing desserts. Maybe the meatloaf was a special I don't remember. But it was the cool decor and the fab chadaliers in the atrium outside the restaurant that really made Yorkdale chick back then.

Now it is just another Mall.

When we came here from England in '70, Yorkdale was a revelation. So huge, so bright, so clean! Big department stores! Yes, a carvery restaurant too. Willowdale and Scarborough and Don Mills were shiny and new. The Golden Mile! My Dad bought a Chevy Malibu ( a big North American car! ). The traffic flowed swiftly on the 401 that ran past our Carluke Crescent apartment. My parents bought a cottage at Woodland Beach and drove up most weekends in the summer. We saw movies at drive-ins. I went to a sleek Modernist highschool designed by Peter Dickinson. My buddies and I hitchhiked downtown at weekends. Big shopping malls such as Scarborough Town Centre opened. Moriyama's Civic Centre opened. They expanded the subway. The future was limitless ...

When we came here from England in '70, Yorkdale was a revelation. So huge, so bright, so clean! Big department stores! Yes, a carvery restaurant too. Willowdale and Scarborough and Don Mills were shiny and new. The Golden Mile! My Dad bought a Chevy Malibu ( a big North American car! ). The traffic flowed swiftly on the 401 that ran past our Carluke Crescent apartment. My parents bought a cottage at Woodland Beach and drove up most weekends in the summer. We saw movies at drive-ins. I went to a sleek Modernist highschool designed by Peter Dickinson. My buddies and I hitchhiked downtown at weekends. Big shopping malls such as Scarborough Town Centre opened. Moriyama's Civic Centre opened. They expanded the subway. The future was limitless ...

Stop! You're making me tear up! We moved here from Vancouver in '71. I remember the Sheppard/Finch subway opening. The first leg of the Eaton Center. The Spadina subway line to Yorkdale.

Then, it all sort of unravelled, didn't it? What happened? Why did the rest of Canada start hating us? Where did our civic pride go?

As one example: look at City Hall ('65) and Metrol Hall, 20 years later. This is what we have been reduced to.

When did you eat there? I worked there in '78 and we had a huge roast beef to cut, amazing desserts. Maybe the meatloaf was a special I don't remember. But it was the cool decor and the fab chadaliers in the atrium outside the restaurant that really made Yorkdale chick back then.

Gramps took me there from the 1964 opening through 1970 or so when I got too big to be taken out by gramps for lunch. :) The eating area (there were two; a fancier one and the cafeteria one) was a cool and calm oasis when central air wasn't common in homes. I remember those chandaliers too.

Wasn't Robarts the premier then?? A lot got done back in those halcyon days. A handsome man he was too. A politician right out of central casting.

Weird to see the Simpson's logo in Bay-like yellow.

I remember the name Fullers so well, but can't quite picture the place.

fullers2.jpg

fullers.jpg

fullers3.jpg

As you can tell, Fullers was kinda a Canuckistani Dennys-in-drag (common corporate ownership?).

I should be able to pinpoint the final-shot location, but can't; however, the first two shots are of the Six Points location--the Royal Trust Real Estate sits where the Aukland extension to Bloor was later built...

==============

p.s. re Dichotomy: reverence t/w 50s/60s modernist architecture needn't mean wholesale reverence t/w its means of being. It's just like the cause for saving Victorian or Edwardian isn't helped when its champions still have a Tom Wolfeian phobia t/w said 50s/60s modernism...

There was an identical looking Fuller's at Dundas and Aukland, north-east corner. It is now the Dundas Street Grille.

Edit: Dammit, Adma beat me to it. At least Apache Burgers is still there (though I've never eaten there)!

I love the roof-line. It's like a McDonald's on crack.

I know I was probably at one as a kid. I have visions of my mom talking about Fuller's. I'll have to ask her. Were they a large chain? When did they close?

I love the roof-line. It's like a McDonald's on crack.

I know I was probably at one as a kid. I have visions of my mom talking about Fuller's. I'll have to ask her. Were they a large chain? When did they close?

It's basically Googie architecture, Toronto style. There were a few Fuller's around town; may have been late 70s/early 80s when the chain faded away. (I gotta check again, but I think the bones of the Dundas/Aukland branch may or may not still be recognizable in the restaurant presently there.)

But again, best to think of it as our answer to Denny's, before Denny's hit these parts--don't know if there was a direct affiliation, but the signage is definitely an unapologetic Denny's paraphrase, as is the architectural (and dining) idiom...

I remember a lot of them around, once upon a time. There is the remmants of one on Jane, just north of Wilson. I just spotted it today, on the way to pick up my other half.
And the similarity to Denny's is striking.

I'm not sure...there are highrises in the background today. There's a '71 or '72 Barracuda in the parkinglot (the newest car I can see in the pic), so I would have to say no. The apartment towers behind the restaurant on Jane look like they should have been there by then.
Plus, there is a big plaza behind it which I also think is older than '71/72, so those houses shouldnt be in the shot.

Is that last one pictured Jane/Wilson?

apparently its on Eglinton East--not sure where though...looks to be Scarborough somewhere. photo is from 1974.

i remember that Fullers on Jane north of Wilson, just down from those 5 highrises on the Jane Street that i assume were designed by Uno Prii...

prii.jpg

i also see the (extremely clunky) pop futurism in those roof lines, but it also reminds me of

dameshoed3.gif

What was the name of the carvery?

Back