1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 362     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 929     1 

Sherway Gardens Pictures?

Goes well with this

090431601921.jpg

hmm, that's very late Gentry's--never seen that before. i didn't know they had a Manson Family phase...

but you're right that's definitely a 1971 kind o' look.

their one big hit happened during their Yorkdale phase--when they were much more collegial looking.

gentrysglossyprauls.jpg

...and in the inner corridors that lead to the washrooms etc. you can still see the browny orange-ish tiles that used to line the floors throughout the mall.

I loved Square 1 and Sherway when I was a kid, and the old Cloverdale Mall too. Does anybody remeber Big Boy at Sherway? or Fullers at Square 1. Do diners even exist anymore?

The memories of Sherway made me smile though. It's amazing how we can connect collectively to good design and architecture, even as children.

George Tanaka's original four gardens were: a Japanese garden with a bamboo pipe emptying water into a pool; a desert garden with cacti and huge pipe-shaped lights suspended above; a hanging garden decorated with ceramic planters suspended by chains; a tropical garden with palms, designed to create the feeling of an island, with a lattice-like geometric dome ceiling composed of stacked pentagonal forms.

The memories of Sherway made me smile though. It's amazing how we can connect collectively to good design and architecture, even as children.

Absolutely. I was always a bit freaked out by the impact of the Bay's groovy entrance circles as a child, but I connected to them pretty deeply and it's a shame they're gone.

At least my "popcorn" wall is still there. :)

Great thread.

Cloverdale has a bunch of 50s/60s retro photos pasted along its washroom corridor.

As for those Gentrys images, I can't help thinking of the phrase "damn right your dad drank it"

Those photos of Cloverdale's past are amazing. Truly you are transported back to a more innocent time. It must have been something in its heyday. Surprising how well it is doing today. If anyone is interested, two websites that track the decline of malls are: Deadmalls.com, and Labelscar.com. Check them out.

Cloverdale strikes me as the kind of mall you go visit with Grandma, in the most heart-warming way possible. (This sublime neighbourhood-hub-cum-seniors-centre quality seems a hallmark of plenty of these built-in-the-50s/enclosed-in-the-70s malls; think of the nature of a lot of those laments over the Don Mills Centre. And always, piped oldies music is the ambient icing on the cake.)

...and in the inner corridors that lead to the washrooms etc. you can still see the browny orange-ish tiles that used to line the floors throughout the mall.

I loved Square 1 and Sherway when I was a kid, and the old Cloverdale Mall too. Does anybody remeber Big Boy at Sherway? or Fullers at Square 1. Do diners even exist anymore?

I remember Fullers I miss that old diner food. Crappy chain restaurants pretty much killed the diners.

Cloverdale strikes me as the kind of mall you go visit with Grandma, in the most heart-warming way possible. (This sublime neighbourhood-hub-cum-seniors-centre quality seems a hallmark of plenty of these built-in-the-50s/enclosed-in-the-70s malls; think of the nature of a lot of those laments over the Don Mills Centre. And always, piped oldies music is the ambient icing on the cake.)

Good observation. There's a bakery in Cloverdale can't remember what it's called. The average age of the customers in there must be in the 80's (and that's taking into account my 2 year old).

Good observation. There's a bakery in Cloverdale can't remember what it's called. The average age of the customers in there must be in the 80's (and that's taking into account my 2 year old).

It's called the Hot Oven.

A high percentage of Cloverdale shoppers are seniors.

When I visit Cloversdale, I am struck by the number of seniors, particularly in the Dominion grocery store. I imagine this is how society will be twenty years from now, when the majority of Baby Boomers will be their seventies.

Fabulous! Brings back a lot of memories. One of my first jobs was at the buffet restaurant at Eaton's in Yorkdale. I miss the whimsical architecture of the '60s. That chromed dome in front of Simpsons was very, very cool. How does that compare to the crappy green marble fountain at the Eaton Center?
Too much is being lost (Bata on Eglinton, anyone?) because modern hasn't gained respect yet.

Sort of like the Gardiner tear down, eh? If it was maintained to its original glory (complete with guardrail lighting), perhaps it wouldn't be as reviled today as it is. (Well, in an alternate universe, perhaps.):D

Fabulous! Brings back a lot of memories. One of my first jobs was at the buffet restaurant at Eaton's in Yorkdale. I miss the whimsical architecture of the '60s. That chromed dome in front of Simpsons was very, very cool. How does that compare to the crappy green marble fountain at the Eaton Center?
Too much is being lost (Bata on Eglinton, anyone?) because modern hasn't gained respect yet.

Sort of like the Gardiner tear down, eh? If it was maintained to its original glory (complete with guardrail lighting), perhaps it wouldn't be as reviled today as it is. (Well, in an alternate universe, perhaps.):D

That was a great place; salisbury steak and meat loaf. Jello in stemmed glass cups on beds of ice.

Back