News   Apr 26, 2024
 479     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 363     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 566     0 

Shabby Public Realm

My instinct is that too many people have to sign off on things; that nothing happens when people go on vacation.
(example, a major road project 3-4 years ago was included in the capital budget and materials went out the public saying it would happen......the responsible planner took parental leave and something came up where the design had to be modified. Rather than reassign the work, the whole project was delayed one year till the original planner returned. )

That's insane. Aren't there alternates?

AoD

That's insane. Aren't there alternates?

AoD

I honestly don't know.

But it would seem not.

Something I've long suggested in transportation (and parks) is that projects have their design cycle complete prior to capital budget approval for construction; and to move the capital budget approval date back to November or so.

The intention would be that tenders are already written and if Council signs off, tenders could be issued in January and Awarded in March and construction could start as soon as the ground is thawed.

No luck persuading anyone to implement that idea.

Even though it would push completion rates on projects way up and make the bureaucracy look much better (lots of budget money ends up unspent every year because there isn't time to get everything tendered before the snow flies again. )

There are lots of other issues at play, including overlapping jurisdiction.

Let's have fun.......A bike path crosses a creek in a park.

Something goes wrong at that location. Who fixes it?

The creek is governed by Toronto Water, not parks. Though work within it must be approved by the TRCA.

The bridge is owned/operated by Parks.

The bike trail is overseen by transportation!

The garbage/recycling is handled by solid waste management.

See the problem?

There are lots of other issues at play, including overlapping jurisdiction.
Let's have fun.......A bike path crosses a creek in a park.
Something goes wrong at that location. Who fixes it?
The creek is governed by Toronto Water, not parks. Though work within it must be approved by the TRCA.
The bridge is owned/operated by Parks.
The bike trail is overseen by transportation!
The garbage/recycling is handled by solid waste management.
See the problem?

Yep typical siloing and losing touch of the outcome - which is all that matters.

AoD

From an article in the latest New Yorker on the Statue of Liberty:

"I used to regard the city as something apart from me, like a mountain range. I assumed that the way it looked - not too good, back in the seventies and eighties - was its own doing. Eventually I understood that every part of it is the result of a decision somebody made."

I don't know why that passage seemed like such a revelation when in some sense it's so obvious. But perhaps it's worth repeating that every single bit of ugliness, lack of functionality, shabbiness and decay in our public realm is the result of choices: by municipal workers, contractors, designers, department heads, elected officials and voters. Our sad, decrepit public realm is something we collectively and intentionally created. Which actually makes me feel even worse about Toronto.

Reactions: DSC
Good thing Statue Cruises has a two attractions for one ticket deal: visitors not only visit the Statue of Liberty but Ellis Island as well. It doesn't help how cheaply made the flimsy souvenir "liberty crowns" look, especially given its price or how its ships can look filthy at times.

Yes, I have taken a few photos of the Statue of Liberty and how weedy Liberty Island can be (complete with yellow patches):

SoL.jpg

Faces are pixelated for privacy reasons.

The groundskeepers did a good job at removing litter though.

Attachments

• SoL.jpg
    SoL.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 700
Last edited:
Ornamental street lights and corner-mounted traffic lights go a long way towards a cleaner and more attractive streetscape. The coordination of black poles for the street lights and traffic lights is also positive. Simple attention to detail and coordination among city departments can go a long way towards a better public realm.

14591146_296348040750723_7089902059687772160_n.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLW4ohlj...agged=montreal

I wish we could have these types of traffic lights that they use in Montreal and many parts of the world. Big improvement over what we use.

When it comes to public realm and public spaces Montreal is a step above Toronto...
It's certainly true that Montreal acts as if public space matters and Toronto doesn't. The photo is a good illustration of the design benefit of burying overhead wires on main streets. Amazingly, it's technically possible in Montreal. But not in Toronto.

Just some of the goodies inside Tory's 2017 austerity budget: reduced street sweeping, reduced grass cutting, reduced arts & culture funding, reduced park maintenance. This is why the public realm sucks in this city.
What John Tory favours: Rubbish-based tumbleweeds, tall grass to hide the aforementioned rubbish-based tumbleweeds, increased unauthorized street art, and more rubbish-based tumbleweeds.

I hope a strong progressive candidate for mayor, with a positive vision for the public realm rather than an obsession with keeping property taxes low, emerges in 2018.

Back