News   Apr 26, 2024
 552     2 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 212     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 696     0 

Shabby Public Realm

Thanks for the pics, smably.

Is it bad that I think the biggest scandal are those horrendous garbage and recycling clunkers?

Not at all.

They are atrocious. Moreover, they are on purpose!

[...] Is it bad that I think the biggest scandal are those horrendous garbage and recycling clunkers?

Drives me nuts about this city. They let various departments make decisions on the basis of what is easiest and most effective for them, with no regard to the public realm or the public they serve. So, without any notice or debate, our parks are now full of these ugly wheelie bins. Similarly, has anyone noticed that the Transportation department at the city has been spray-painting large black numbers on all of our bridges, presumably to simplify how they refer to each one internally, but it looks like crap.

Drives me nuts about this city. They let various departments make decisions on the basis of what is easiest and most effective for them, with no regard to the public realm or the public they serve. So, without any notice or debate, our parks are now full of these ugly wheelie bins. Similarly, has anyone noticed that the Transportation department at the city has been spray-painting large black numbers on all of our bridges, presumably to simplify how they refer to each one internally, but it looks like crap.

This lack of awareness over aesthetics and public realm is endemic - just look at how TTC couldn't handle it at all (even from their ads/graphics department - everything looks like it was done on MS paint) - and the handwritten signage has made a comeback.

AoD

Yes, the bins are awful. I believe they have been mentioned before in this thread.

They really stand out along Sunnyside Bark when you're on the Gardiner. A lovely sight to behold for tourists coming into the city.

That was one significant, simple and cost-free step that the TTC took to materially improve the appearance of its stations, and you mean to tell me that they couldn't even stay committed to that?

There was a period of time when I can't see a single handwritten sign - but I have noticed that it starting to pop out occasionally. Not nearly as bad as before, but still...

AoD

Yes, the bins are awful. I believe they have been mentioned before in this thread.

They really stand out along Sunnyside Bark when you're on the Gardiner. A lovely sight to behold for tourists coming into the city.

The worst is at Sugar Beach - like a public space of the highest quality and then those bins - from me, last year:

upload_2015-7-25_16-23-57-jpeg.51327

AoD

Thin edge of the wedge.

Like honestly, the sooner half of TTC get retired, the better it is for everyone. And did anyone notice that electronic sign at College station - for the love of gawd - why they would place it where they did (in the paid zone). Nobody ever uses it.

Nevermind that the station already has probably one of the most unsightly mess of electrical conduits anywhere.

AoD

Last edited:
Har har, if it was, it'd be in Hot Pink.

AoD
While the bins are truly hideous, there's a lot that's right with the photo of Sugar Beach. The trees are not only not dead or dying, they appear to be flourishing. They weren't entombed in those revolting 1970's mini planters. Not only that, they have been planted in two linear rows, creating a pleasing, symmetric, urban esthetic. The pavement hasn't been irrevocably compromised yet by shoddily patched utility cuts. There are no visible overhead wires, and the promenade ends with a refreshing view of the harbour. This quality is well beyond what we have a right to expect in Toronto.

While the bins are truly hideous, there's a lot that's right with the photo of Sugar Beach. The trees are not only not dead or dying, they appear to be flourishing. They weren't entombed in those revolting 1970's mini planters. Not only that, they have been planted in two linear rows, creating a pleasing, symmetric, urban esthetic. The pavement hasn't been irrevocably compromised yet by shoddily patched utility cuts. There are no visible overhead wires, and the promenade ends with a refreshing view of the harbour. This quality is well beyond what we have a right to expect in Toronto.

Yes, and that's only because WT - as a quasi-independent agency - is in the driver seat when it comes to public realm and not having nickle and dime each design decision and succumb to excessive amount of value engineering (can you imagine how council would have reacted if they are in the driver seat, re: parasols and sand - or moving a granite piece of that size?). I would rephrase your last sentence however - this quality is what we should have every right to expect in Toronto but one that turned out more exception than the rule.

AoD

Back