News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 457     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Save Transit City Canvass!

And there I thought DRL is #1 priority. Guess killing SELRT is the raison d'etre afterall.

AoD

Killing the SERLT was definitely important because it amputated the Sheppard line which to me was unacceptable because it makes that investment already spent useless.

And DRL still is priority #1. I don't see how the responsibilty for the DRL suddenly rests on SOS's shoulders when Miller didn't promote it and only reluctantly did the TTC begin the study for it based on York Region's wanting a subway to RHC.

Not a single mayoral candidate brought up the DRL. And what about the DRLNow! group? Where are they?

I didn't realize anyone had targeted Eglinton for cancellation unless you've spoken to Ford about it? Please enlighten us as to the threat to Eglinton's LRT tunnel?

Perhaps you haven't heard, but Rob Ford was recently elected mayor. He campaigned on cancelling the Eglinton RT because we couldn't afford it. His funding to build his 2 subways to Scarborough Centre used much of the Eglinton funding. And he announced recently that Transit City was dead.

Whether or not he can or will stop it is up for debate ... but he has clearly targeted Eglinton for cancellation. To suggest otherwise is dishonest.

Perhaps you haven't heard, but Rob Ford was recently elected mayor. He campaigned on cancelling the Eglinton RT because we couldn't afford it. His funding to build his 2 subways to Scarborough Centre used much of the Eglinton funding. And he announced recently that Transit City was dead.

Whether or not he can or will stop it is up for debate ... but he has clearly targeted Eglinton for cancellation. To suggest otherwise is dishonest.

Look, can you stop thread hijacking FFS!

I support half of the priority TC lines, does that count???

I'd fight tooth and nail to save Eglinton from biting the dust. But I'll wait and see what the TTC has planned for Sheppard and the connection to STC. Finch West, well it's kinda like Jermaine Jackson. It's there, but nobody is really paying attention to it.

As far as I'm concerned, if the new TTC plan includes an Eglinton tunnel (at this point, preferably LRT, just to keep the same timeline), a B-D extension to STC, and a plan for Sheppard that doesn't permenantly castrate the Sheppard subway, I'll be delighted.

Look, can you stop thread hijacking FFS!
This is a thread about canvassing about saving Transit City on Eglinton. Someone comes here and says in error that Ford has no plans to cancel LRT under Eglinton. How is pointing out their mistake thread highjacking?

Last edited:
This is a thread about canvassing about saving Transit City on Eglinton. Someone comes here and says in error that Ford has no plans to cancel LRT under Eglinton. How is pointing out there error thread highjacking?

Ok, fine, I'm sorry for picking on you for thread hijacking, as you clearly didn't start it, but you aren't helping either.

I'm trying to rally some support for something I seriously believe in, and don't appreciate being derailed.

Thanks.

Sorry to cross-post (this is in Toronto Issues as well), but I'm interested in seeing what the transit forum thinks about this analysis. It's in preparation for a letter to city councillors:

A friend of mine did some analysis. To support a subway, all other things being equal:

(1) with (50%+) significant subsidy you need at least 4000 people per square kilometre to support regular service.

(2) with less subsidy (33%+) you need at least 7000 people per square kilometre to support regular service (Singapore density).

(3) without subsidy/recover costs entirely from the fare box, you need at least 25,000 people per square kilometre.

I can provide spreadsheets with the amount of population and housing increase each ward would need to get to these levels. Meanwhile, Denver has made LRT work with federal funding for less than 300 people per square kilometre, which is like Detroit wasteland density.

With permanent gas tax/50%+ subsidy, it might be possible to make subway work all over the city by 2036, ignoring the actual capital cost, or mobility issues of an aging population.

With lesser subsidy, we’d need at least 4.5 million people in the current Toronto to make it work, which is at least a million extra people than any population projection envisions – and all the work he's been doing here suggests the government projections are way too fucking optimistic already.

With no subsidy we’d need about 16 million+ people within the current Toronto, which I can’t even begin to imagine.

This is all going into a letter for city councillors. Particularly those undecided and openly against Transit City.

It’s great they want subways. Who doesn’t? But the development they need to allow to make sure it can fund itself is astronomical. Plus, with an aging population, each and every inch of all the subway stations better be 110% accessible or people will be trapped in their homes because they’ll all have their driver's licenses pulled/and or can’t afford gasoline on their pensions.

Ok, fine, I'm sorry for picking on you for thread hijacking, as you clearly didn't start it, but you aren't helping either.
My only post in the entire thread was to point out that the person who was trying to sabotage the rally saying that there was no threat of cancellation was wrong. I can't see how that isn't helping. Surely that is helping.

What isn't helping is you thread-jacking your own discussion to have a meta-conversation!

I'm trying to rally some support for something I seriously believe in, and don't appreciate being derailed.
Then perhaps you should stop derailing your own discussion with all your meta posts!

Last edited:
My only post in the entire thread was to point out that the person who was trying to sabotage the rally saying that there was no threat of cancellation was wrong. I can't see how that isn't helping. Surely that is helping.

What isn't helping is you thread-jacking your own discussion to have a meta-conversation!

Then perhaps you should stop derailing your own discussion with all your meta posts!

Ok, this is turning a molehill into a mountain, and don't ask me to explain why, I don't feel like it.

As I posted in another thread, Karen Stintz, TTC Chair believes Eglinton is still a go.

This is the amount of population and housing increase each ward would need to get to the levels I posted above.

lettertocouncillors.png

Toronto Population by 2031 (Flashforward Toronto) 2,900,038
Toronto Population by 2031 (Ministry of Finance) 3,270,000

The people in yellow are the councillors openly against transit city.

You need to approve 300,000 units of housing to support subway in your ward, good luck with your neighbourhood associations with freaking out if 100 new units are proposed. I figure housing/spectre of st. Jamestown (*sigh*) is easier to imagine than just saying you don’t have enough people in your ward.

This is the amount of population and housing increase each ward would need to get to the I posted above.

The City of Toronto would require 16 MILLION people to justify subways? The New York City proper only has 8 million! What are you smoking? I think you're extrapolating thrown together data to such an obscene extent as to not even be worthy of discussion. It simply doesn't. Make. Sense.

That graph simply boggles my mind. I can't even think of a polite way to put it.

Last edited:

Back