203     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 495     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 855     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, studies show that if anything, people get more left-wing as they age. It's more that they stay still, while society as a whole moves left.

Perhaps but I feel anecdotally that its pretty simple ; while young most people have not alot materially so a social safety net is important. Idealism hasn't been kicked out of them and they are often in academia which tends to progressive leanings. As we age we start to become disillusioned about what can be accomplished through social intervention , we now have things like property and income that are taxable and we watch as election after election promises are made and broken. We are often now in corporate settings which of course worship the low tax small gov.concepts of the right. But I feel the Canada of my youth was much.more left than today. Trudeau was my hero so was Tommy Douglas. And stateside? Well we prided ourselves on being different.

Last edited:
Pinball Clemons is a dual citizen (I don't think we have rules a la the POTUS that one must be born to lead the good city of Toronto). That said, while I know the guy does lots of good and appears to be a great person, he bugs the hell out of me. I think it's because I'm naturally suspicious of people who appear incredibly happy/enthusiastic all the time. It would be amusing to hear him pep talk council (I'm sure they'll need it).

I should hope not! Otherwise, someone better tell Olivia Chow! :p
Do we even have that rule for PM? I don't think so. Very outdated rule in a land of immigrants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back