147     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 393     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 680     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
You raise a question I've been wondering about. Ford has two tumours, but presumably in the same "organ" (the fatty tissue of the abdomen). Is the second smaller tumour considered a metastasis? I ask because a colleague had separate tumours in her breasts, but she never referred to them as mets.

It may have been answered already, since I'm catching up. But thank you for asking. I'm very confused as to what meets the definition of a mets and where that sites on the ranking of cancers.

In the 1970's I was a little kid riding to hockey practice in the back of a pickup truck. If you fell off a swing set back then, your head could hit hard concrete. As a kid back then, I had no idea what a rough thing it could be not to be white and straight (or to be female, in too many families). My (admittedly rambling and fuzzy) point is that as a society we're learning and improving, albeit slowly and imperfectly.

No hockey practice here, but I did remember riding in the back of a pickup truck. The key is to pack more kids in it, that way each kids acts as a shock and bump dampener. ;) I also remember lawn darts having steel tips. While I think safety and common sense is important, I think there's a point of silliness where some people think we can remake the world out of nerf.

How this connects to the Ford Nation phenomenon: (1) In Toronto, do what you can to get out the youth vote; they are not wise like us olds, but they're much better than we were when we were young; (2) whatever doesn't kill Ford Nation in 2014 makes it weaker next election.

I'm anxious to see the voter turnout % come October, because low% means further civic disengagement, and I think that's an even bigger problem than the Fords. IMO it's what allows postules like the Fords to thrive.

That's not true. This is a stage IV liposarcoma with at least one macroscopic metastasis. There is undoubtedly microscopic disease elsewhere. Between the aggressive histology ("pleomorphic") and an unresectable primary, the only first line treatment is similarly aggressive chemo. The five-year survival rate may be as low as 20% and no higher than 36%. That's all aside from chemo toxicities and anything else that might happen.

What's the "not true" you are referring to? Was it my comment about Rob being around for years rather than weeks or months? If that's the case, I should clarify: My point was that he'll be around for a bit. He's not on his death bed yet. As for five years from now, well...

Yah, I remember smoking in hospital rooms.

I don't remember smoking in hospital rooms, but pretty much *everywhere* else. I remember my grandmother puffing away on the old red G series subways (they had windows too), buses, anywhere in a restaurant (ashtrays always provided) and in the workplace. I started as an usher when I was 17 & the smoking ban (self imposed I believe) in the auditorium for Odeon & Famous Players had come into effect shortly before I started, so it was a hell of a job being on "smoking duty" (2 ushers stood on each side of the auditorium and watched the audience for two hours telling people to put their cigarettes out) - most other cinemas allowed smoking, usually just in the back half dozen or so rows.

Just re: smoking and times changing, my dad is a smoker, my mother is not. My parents met and dated and married in the 1960s. These days, non-smokers are usually pretty adamant about not dating smokers, and co-habiting is out of the question.

Videodrome beat me to it! Tory 40, Chow 25, Ford 23.

For decided voters, it goes to 46/28/26

Or 2 points ahead. It's a range of possible values (with the posted ones being in the middle), not a specific number.

I would only worry if Doug starts polling at over 28% regularly. This has always been Rob's ceiling so if Doug can exceed that then a victory would be possible. I doubt it personally. Wait until the imbecile starts debating. He knows less about city policies than Rob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back