151     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 446     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 825     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is possible that Ford's hospital stay was due to a difficult detox (sometimes detox can be life threatening) that Greenestone does in Toronto prior to sending clients to Muskoka. However, it seems hard to believe that this "not small mass" would not have been discovered at that time, especially given Greenestone's other specialty is colonoscopy. The "mass" may have been deemed benign without surgery. A malignancy cannot really be ruled out without surgery, visual examination and biopsy. It will be interesting to discover what MSH reports, providing the family does not suddenly require "privacy".

I think if he wanted to stay, they'd let him.

He may ( or may not ) require some degree of home care. A hospital cannot force a family to care for a patient at home.

He's in really poor health overall for a guy his age, he has major substance abuses problems, is wealthy and the mayor of Toronto.

He also has a lawyer on standby.

Last edited:
He may ( or may not ) require some degree of home care. A hospital cannot force a family to care for a patient at home.
He also has a lawyer on standby.

This is a grim thought and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but could this be past the point of needing treatment?

This is a grim thought and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but could this be past the point of needing treatment?
Absolutely, he wouldn't be the first person to be diagnosed terminal right off the bat. But remember, they did lots of tests last May when he was hospitalized prior to rehab. A guy in his shape would have been checked from top to bottom, especially since he's the mayor and wealthy. Very unlikely that a "not small" tumour has suddenly shown up in the past 4 months and is malignant. It would have shown up in May, they generally don't grow that fast, they take years to develop. However, I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

My only issue with that theory - which I tended to agree with - is I don't think they would have kept him in hospital this long if it wasn't apparently serious. They would have done all of the required tests and sent him home with pain meds to await the results.

Agreed. Circumstantial evidence for an earlier diagnosis is piling up, so that's definitely a possibility. But the only reason I can see for keeping Rob in hospital — aside from severity of his condition — is that his docs fear he's still using. They won't want to deal with his improvised chemistry if surgery is called for right away. That said, I think it's most likely that Rob's outlook is not good.

Burgermeister was admitted to hospital for four days in May prior to Greenstone. If there was a biopsy done at that time, it seems to me that a surgeon at MSH performing a second one would surely notice some obviously fresh scarring, incisions etc. that would certainly raise suspicions that they were being played. I just can't imagine that these people would be so naive as to fall for this whole game without suspicion.

Good point - and something I've been trying to figure out too. IF you assume they knew about the mass in May (or earlier, for that matter) and were willing to let it lie, that presumes he had a biopsy just a few months ago. Maybe there's a surgeon or someone knowledgeable here who can say otherwise, but I'd suspect that if he had a biopsy in May, those scars would likely still be visible to anyone having a gander last week. On the other hand, if they did a "battery" of tests when he was admitted to Greenestone (I mean, wouldn't they do some kind of liver tests, at least, on an alcoholic?) you'd think they'd notice something that large...so I don't know.

Maybe the scarring, or lack of scars, is not an issue but it does seem to me one factor that makes it less likely they already knew the deal with the tumour.

It boils down to one of three scenarios (in ascending tinfoil order):

1. Rob was planning to finish the campaign for mayor, going down to likely defeat and leaving the entire Ford dynasty in the hands of an untested 20-year old. The medical stuff really was unexpected and they had to dust off Plan F3 (the Ford Filial Flip) at the last minute.

2. With victory unlikely, Ford was already planning to drop out by Friday and execute the F3. Rob stays on council albeit in a diminished role, Mikey is pretty much guaranteed a win for TDSB and gets ready for council in 2018, while Doug goes down to defeat and a return to Deco (but now better positioned for a provincial run). Best case scenario Tory implodes and Doug wins, or they at least get to screw over Tory. They were going to stage a drunken relapse or something, but the medical stuff came up unexpectedly and they went with that.

3. With victory unlikely, Ford planned everything so that it proceeded like we saw. The medical stuff was already known, but the pain story was invented and the reveal was staged to fit the narrative.

Given everything we know, it's really a question of 2 vs 3.

Last edited:
My only issue with that theory - which I tended to agree with - is I don't think they would have kept him in hospital this long if it wasn't apparently serious. They would have done all of the required tests and sent him home with pain meds to await the results.

I think people with the Fords' money and influence get to stay in the hospital as long as they want.

Absolutely, he wouldn't be the first person to be diagnosed terminal right off the bat. But remember, they did lots of tests last May when he was hospitalized prior to rehab. A guy in his shape would have been checked from top to bottom, especially since he's the mayor and wealthy. Very unlikely that a "not small" tumour has suddenly shown up in the past 4 months and is malignant. It would have shown up in May, they generally don't grow that fast, they take years to develop. However, I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

I am no doctor either and despite how much the family lies and uses drama, my gut instinct tells me that this is very serious. Plus, he must have a myriad of other serious health problems in addition to to possible addiction.

Perhaps I am wrong, but who knows?

I am no doctor either and despite how much the family lies and uses drama, my gut instinct tells me that this is very serious. Plus, he must have a myriad of other serious health problems in addition to to possible addiction.

If it is serious, then it's even more despicable that they are worrying about the politics and not his health. What a warped family they are.

If it's very serious, the Fords are assholes for letting him run for an office requiring duties he won't be able to fulfill. If it's not serious, then they most likely knew, orchestrated this whole thing, and are playing for undue sympathy.

Neither of those scenarios makes them look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back