102     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 624     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 423     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
*IIRC there is no US border control facility in the UK, so she would have been turned away by the airline's check-in system because she had neither a visa waiver nor a visa.

There is at the larger airports, when I moved from the UK to the US I had to go through US immigration in the airport before I got to enter the waiting area for the flight.

The other point you make however (RoFo didn't need an esta as a Canadian visitor) is correct though - I don't think you need a visa waiver if you're Canadian entering the US, do you?

Surely the competent Toronto Police Service knows where their star suspect is.

Yoohoo Jimmy! What's your thoughts?

I can't for a second believe that the dim-looking M D Ford could lose surveillance with the 'stang and RoFo in it fleeing. As long as they knew which plane he (allegedly) was on, they would be able to figure out the final destination, be it Hamilton or elsewhere. Once the plane landed, surely the TPS could have local authorities keep tabs on RoFo, RIGHT??? He is still the subject of an investigation, isn't he? I can only imagine if they let him slip away, only to retire to Cuba, hosting a hit Reality Television Program for the rest of his days.

When they were videoed leaving his house Ford was not in Mikey's car. He was in his Chief of Staff's car. If they had stopped to switch him into Mikey's car that delay surely would only have made him easier to follow. (And BTW it is a Camaro.)

The Toronto Sun is reporting that he may be at Homewood in Guelph. I was thinking that would be a possibility. It's supposed to be an excellent facility.

It is. I spent many years in Guelph and know a few people who have been there for outpatient services, and the grounds are absolutely gorgeous.

From local legend, apparently Liz Taylor, Elvis and Marilyn Monroe spent time there, but no confirmation of any of that was ever made officially of course.

I just saw the CP24 clip - he delivered the line without any bluster - I'm leaning towards the fact that he might not be lying based on how he mentioned confidentiality of those in the program - this sounds like something the program would have warned him against violating.

None of the rehab facilities I'm familiar with would a) have Ford working out already or b) have him chatting with his toxic family already.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/05/06/is-rob-ford-at-guelph-rehab-facility

Notice the use of anonymous sources................. One day I would like to make these asshats apologize for their hypocrisy. Anonymous forces weren't good enough when it was the Star (which of course were proven to be correct) but when it comes to the lying liars Ford and their mouthpiece Joe Warmington, anonymous sources are A-Okay. F them.

I don't know how they look at themselves when they shave (including the women).
Any journalist would understand the reasons behind anonymous sourcing. It has to be taught to them in journalist courses. It's sad when media will frame a subject to appeal to the reactionaries but continue to do business as usual.

From Twitter:

Tony Smyth ‏@LateNightCam 2h
Reports that Rob Ford withdrew his application to enter the USA. This is usually the option given rather than detention when denied entry.

AoD

I'm sort of wondering if border security might have let him in if he was actually going to rehab and could give evidence of exactly where and for how long. I'm picturing him at first being evasive about the purpose of his trip, then eventually saying it was for rehab, and then not being able to come up with any details about exactly where he was checking into. On top of that, I'm assuming there was no back-up plan for a Canadian facility in place. They wouldn't have just dropped him off at the doorstep of one without making prior arrangements.

My money is on Rob going "Well, I tried." after being turned away, and returning to hide out in a 'safe house' somewhere. Out of which he'll emerge in a few weeks, telling everyone that his rehab experience is private and that out of respect for the institution he was at, and the other patients and staff, he won't say where it was.

Based on what I have seen and heard, I would say Bellwood is more "upscale" than Homewood.

Unless they've changed location, Bellwoods is located in a pretty dreary business park and shares space with a nursing home up at Vic Park and McNicoll. Maybe their program's better (? no idea?) but Homewood's campus does look gorgeous - a little more soothing than BW.

Bellwood:

http://www.tendercare.ca/contact.html

Last edited:
Everyone is still speculating like Ford is in Rehab.

He's not in rehab. He's getting "professional help" and "losing weight". We'll find out later that Doug has chained up in the basement. Warmington is doing what he always does - printing nonsense that is spoon fed to him by the Fords.

None of the rehab facilities I'm familiar with would a) have Ford working out already or b) have him chatting with his toxic family already.

I've been to rehab, the intake process is swift, they do a full physical and get your medical records from your own doctor. Based on how your overall health is you are ENCOURAGED to be physically active if possible, that's part of the program.

The Homewood website indicates patients get one call a day, I know the Donwoods discouraged any contact until after the first week.

There is at the larger airports, when I moved from the UK to the US I had to go through US immigration in the airport before I got to enter the waiting area for the flight.

The other point you make however (RoFo didn't need an esta as a Canadian visitor) is correct though - I don't think you need a visa waiver if you're Canadian entering the US, do you?

Thanks again.

He would only need a visa (there is no concept of a visa waiver, so far as I know) in order to reside in the US beyond the visitor limit (e.g., when someone goes to school in the US) or to work in the US on more than a very short-term basis. The FTA, then the NAFTA, has made it much easier for Canadians to work in the US, but there are still some requirements (as there still are vice versa).

There is a waiver concept, for someone who has been refused entry (called a waiver of inadmissibility). (What is being reported is that Ford was given the equivalent of a chance to accept a warning and withdraw rather have a ticket issued; it seems to be a fairly common practice to give someone one shot at just going away rather than being refused entry.) If refused you can apply for a so-called waiver. It is discretionary, and, I gather, can take up to a year to get (if at all), but if you do get one then you can answer that, yes, you have been refused entry in the past, but still enter by virtue of the waiver. A waiver expires, so has to be applied for anew, every five years.

Last edited:
I used to volunteer at Homewood, and the waiting list was miles long. That was over 10 years ago, but I can't imagine it's gotten any better.

Thanks again.

He would only need a visa (there is no concept of a visa waiver, so far as I know) in order to reside in the US beyond the visitor limit (e.g., when someone goes to school in the US) or to work in the US on more than a very short-term basis. The FTA, then the NAFTA, has made it much easier for Canadians to work in the US, but there are still some requirements (as there still are vice versa).

There is a waiver concept, for someone who has been refused entry. (What is being reported is that Ford was given the equivalent of a chance to accept a warning and withdraw rather have a ticket issued; it seems to be a fairly common practice to give someone one shot at just going away rather than being refused entry.) If refused you can apply for a so-called waiver. It is discretionary, and, I gather, can take up to a year to get (if at all), but if you do get one then you can answer that, yes, you have been refused entry in the past, but still enter by virtue of the waiver. A waiver expires, so has to be applied for anew, every five years.

Yeah, that's what I thought from having seen the Canandian Immigration / Border Services tv shows about refused entry - they always tell them they can withdraw their application to enter and turn back freely rather than be officially detained and deported, and that they won't be able to re-enter for a year while they sort out a waiver for past offences. And yes, there are still requirements for US citizens to enter Canada to work here (my wife's American, she's here on a work visa through me (British) being here on a student visa).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back