890     4 
News   Jun 03, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jun 03, 2024
 645     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless they've changed location, Bellwoods is located in a pretty dreary business park and shares space with a nursing home up at Vic Park and McNicoll. Maybe their program's better (? no idea?) but Homewood's campus does look gorgeous - a little more soothing than BW.

Bellwood:

http://www.tendercare.ca/contact.html

That link is for the nursing home. ( It's a Chinese-speaking NH )

Bellwood:
http://www.bellwood.ca/

They have all sorts of programs.

I don't know how they look at themselves when they shave (including the women).
Any journalist would understand the reasons behind anonymous sourcing. It has to be taught to them in journalist courses. It's sad when media will frame a subject to appeal to the reactionaries but continue to do business as usual.

That's my issue. Anonymous sources are a necessary part of journalism, but the Sun went with the attacks on the Star and Globe using anonymous sources but have used them multiple times since with no sense of irony or contrition. Hypocrisy is a huge pet peeve of mine.

I used to volunteer at Homewood, and the waiting list was miles long. That was over 10 years ago, but I can't imagine it's gotten any better.

And that's the part that puzzles me. Pretty much any mental health inpatient treatment requires long waits (other than acute, short term stabilization). It makes me think he's either at a private facility, or not at rehab at all.

It is. I spent many years in Guelph and know a few people who have been there for outpatient services, and the grounds are absolutely gorgeous.

From local legend, apparently Liz Taylor, Elvis and Marilyn Monroe spent time there, but no confirmation of any of that was ever made officially of course.

I'm from Guelph, and had lots of friends who were in and out of that place for various durations. Michael Jackson during the face mask years is another legend to add to the list.

In my experience, Homewood has kind of a funny effect on the town. A lot of Homewood patients seem to stay in Guelph after release because it's a sleepy, easy place to be---if you're a townie, you get the sense that there are a disproportionate amount of them in your midst. They blend in with the downtown/bar culture, and the result is you see a lot of teens and 20-somethings with mental health issues and prescription drug problems, who end up at the Homewood themselves. It's a weird vicious cycle thing.

And that's the part that puzzles me. Pretty much any mental health inpatient treatment requires long waits (other than acute, short term stabilization). It makes me think he's either at a private facility, or not at rehab at all.

That's not necessarily true. I know I got shortlisted, 2 days, because a family member had connections in the field. They look at each case individually, the fact he's a well recognized abuser that is seeking help would probably mean he would jump the queue, yes it doesn't seem fair but that's the way the world works.

I used to volunteer at Homewood, and the waiting list was miles long. That was over 10 years ago, but I can't imagine it's gotten any better.

They got Mickey Mantle a new liver in just one day.

Sometimes, it doesn't hurt to be a celebrity.

"Rob Ford's lawyer tells me he's been getting phone calls from rehab centres offering to take the mayor, free of charge."
https://twitter.com/KatieSimpson24/status/461906882517409792

I'm sort of wondering if border security might have let him in if he was actually going to rehab and could give evidence of exactly where and for how long.

Even if he had the evidence of his rehab plans though there would be nothing to stop him, once rehab was done, from heading to California to seek his fame and fortune rather than return home, and border security would have to keep that in mind.

She will have already had an ESTA (you don't apply for it each time you fly, you apply and it lasts for a couple of years, my current one runs out in late 2015) since she visited the US recently before her admission of coke use. She turned up at the airport with a valid ESTA from her previous trips, but because of her admission of coke use, she was refused entry by an immigration officer. If you read the Guardian article, it makes it clear that the DHS turned her away on moral turpitude grounds because of her admitted use of coke. There's a similar article from the Daily Telegraph here if you want a right wing paper's version of it, and the same thing is mentioned: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/cel...son-barred-from-boarding-US-bound-flight.html

Or there's one from the Independent:

That makes it clear she was refused entry because of her admittance of drug use.

I of course agree that was the root cause of her problem (never said otherwise), but if the statement below is truthful then she lost her Esta visa waiver (as logically you cannot need to get a visa if you have a valid Esta visa waiver):

A spokeswoman for the US embassy said: "There are several ways of legally travelling into the United States and Ms Lawson has been invited to come to the embassy and apply for a visa for travel to the US. We understand she has professional requirements for US travel and these matters are generally handled routinely and expeditiously, so stand by."

Even if he had the evidence of his rehab plans though there would be nothing to stop him, once rehab was done, from heading to California to seek his fame and fortune rather than return home, and border security would have to keep that in mind.

That's true. Or even going into rehab and deciding he didn't want to after all and walking out 5 minutes later. Unless you get sent to rehab by the courts (and even then, it's possible) you can walk out whenever you want to.

Last edited:
Mammo, in full-throttle nutjob mode.

BenSpurr 11:43am via TweetDeck
Cllr Mammoliti also said lefties on council want Rob Ford to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back