News   May 03, 2024
 565     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 275     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
lockout for a month
Why would the city lock out the workers? The city can impose the new terms of employment immediately without a negotiated contract with the union. The workers are expected to show up for work as usual. Now, if the workers go on strike, only then might we see a lock out.

I don't know about everyone else, but during the last strike the only city service I noticed that was missing was garbage collection. Here in Cabbagetown the neighborhood association hired a dumpster, so we didn't miss the collectors. Volunteers mowed the parks and tended the gardens in CT. I have no need for anything else at city hall, don't need any permits issued or have any municipal issues. It'll be a long strike since the people will notice that they didn't need these workers anyway. Sort of like a Canada Post strike.

Here's the "new contract", what a crock

http://www.toronto.ca/bargaining/pdf/memo-city-manger-030312.pdf

You're better off just giving everybody their pinkslips now, everything in there is designed for easy lay-offs.

As for paramedic issues on there:
Unilaterally changing shift schedules without our input is HUGE and will never fly.
The new sick plan is a joke and encourages sick and injured people to come to work.
And part-time medics will not offer any cost savings over full-time
.... then trying to dangle the carrot of essential service in front of us to get all that is insulting to say the least

I heard on the CTV News intro that the city wants to implement a 50% wage cut. I don't care if you are anti-union, if you support this, get the fuck out of my country and move to China!

When it cones down to these union negotiations, optics is key. Miller was viewed as being pro-labour and the union was viewed as having unreasonable demands. In this case, I think it is the other way around. If Ford thinks he is going to get an approval boost for being tough on unions, I think he is in for a very unpleasant surprise...

"To be clear, the Labour Relations Act, 1995 provides the City of Toronto with the ability
to implement new terms of employment once the negotiations have broken down and after the 17-
day No Board period has expired"

Can someone point me to this part of the Labour relations act? I might not be looking in the right place.

Should be this:
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_95l01_e.htm#BK40

Working conditions may not be altered
86. (1) Where notice has been given under section 16 or section 59 and no collective agreement is in operation, no employer shall, except with the consent of the trade union, alter the rates of wages or any other term or condition of employment or any right, privilege or duty, of the employer, the trade union or the employees, and no trade union shall, except with the consent of the employer, alter any term or condition of employment or any right, privilege or duty of the employer, the trade union or the employees,
(a) until the Minister has appointed a conciliation officer or a mediator under this Act, and,
(i) seven days have elapsed after the Minister has released to the parties the report of a conciliation board or mediator, or
(ii) 14 days have elapsed after the Minister has released to the parties a notice that he or she does not consider it advisable to appoint a conciliation board,
as the case may be; or
(b) until the right of the trade union to represent the employees has been terminated,
whichever occurs first.
Same
(2) Where a trade union has applied for certification and notice thereof from the Board has been received by the employer, the employer shall not, except with the consent of the trade union, alter the rates of wages or any other term or condition of employment or any right, privilege or duty of the employer or the employees until,
(a) the trade union has given notice under section 16, in which case subsection (1) applies; or
(b) the application for certification by the trade union is dismissed or terminated by the Board or withdrawn by the trade union.

Why would the city lock out the workers? The city can impose the new terms of employment immediately without a negotiated contract with the union. The workers are expected to show up for work as usual. Now, if the workers go on strike, only then might we see a lock out.

I don't know about everyone else, but during the last strike the only city service I noticed that was missing was garbage collection. Here in Cabbagetown the neighborhood association hired a dumpster, so we didn't miss the collectors. Volunteers mowed the parks and tended the gardens in CT. I have no need for anything else at city hall, don't need any permits issued or have any municipal issues. It'll be a long strike since the people will notice that they didn't need these workers anyway. Sort of like a Canada Post strike.

To be fair, the labour disruptions at Canada Post were a lot more complicated than just another strike. It began with a rotating strike, which had little impact on service, which led to CP locking out its workers.

I would like to know what resposibilities and services municipal governments should provide at all. Keep in mind that not every neighbourhood has Cabbagetown's resources, and that this DIY mentality, unaccountable to any form of democratic governance, is not sustainable over the long run. If Torontonians didn't need these services, there wouldn't have been nearly as much uproar over the last strike.

As for permits and liscensing - it might not affect you directly, but a long-term labour disruption almost certainly would have a hugely negative affect on the construction industry. The losses to our local economy would be catastrophic.

I heard on the CTV News intro that the city wants to implement a 50% wage cut. I don't care if you are anti-union, if you support this, get the fuck out of my country and move to China!

I hear the 50% wage cut being talked about today in reference to the Electromotive/Caterpiller labour dispute in London. The city has expressed disinterest in the wage freeze suggested by the union, and in the contract offer posted above there are lump sum payment offers.

Everybody is happy when they go after cutting the union wages but what happens when this spreads and they come after you, cutting your wages? My bother worked for a private company (no union) and after 20 years of being a great employee, they cut his wages substantially. He ended up quitting and going somewhere else. (for less pay) People feel so safe and secure in their jobs but you might feel differently, when you're asked to accept a 50% cut in pay, to provide higher profits for share holders.

Everybody is happy when they go after cutting the union wages but what happens when this spreads and they come after you, cutting your wages? My bother worked for a private company (no union) and after 20 years of being a great employee, they cut his wages substantially. He ended up quitting and going somewhere else. (for less pay) People feel so safe and secure in their jobs but you might feel differently, when you're asked to accept a 50% cut in pay, to provide higher profits for share holders.
Valid point. But in this case Ford is forcing the Union to take a wage increase. The union is asking for a pay freeze.

Exactly right. People usually look of their circumstances and what they are getting paid and the jealousy of what city worker gets. But seniority should stand for something and an employer should not be able to come in and cut salaries in 1/2 but private companies get away with it. And with caterpillar they announced 5B in profits did they not and then asked the union to cut their salary in 1/2.

I hope we get some severe snow storms. Then we can see how city hall handles that if the lock out or strike happens. Ford has been gunning for this moment since he got into office. And he is not smart enough to be able to handle things and needs councilors around him doing the work. He should be the one speaking to the press during all these negotiations not Del Grande or Haliday. Who is the mayor of Toronto anyways? His sole focus is getting part-time contract people in there and using the money saved for his beloved sheppard subway. Every company I have worked for has had sick days available between 6-12 days and full benefits plus RRSPs

Snow collection for the most part is contracted out.

The union messed this up big time. They shouldn't have gone on strike under Miller, leaving us all with garbage in the parks et al. Instead they should have announced that they do not agree with the city's latest labour proposal, but do not wish to inconvenience the citizens and that in today's climate (it was the middle of a major recession let's remember) we're thankful for the opportunity to serve the city.

That announcement would have done two things. First of all it would have better prepared the union's public relations for this current fight on contracting out. Second of all, the strike and the consequent public sentiment was one of the primary reasons Ford and the Right councilors got elected. Had the strike not happened, they'd likely be negotiating from a much better position with Smitherman or Pantelone.

The union created the Rob Ford mayorish. This must not be forgotten.

Right-on:)

Toronto, union reach tentative contract deal

The City of Toronto and the union representing 6,000 of its outside workers have reached a tentative agreement on a new contract that averts a work stoppage.

Mark Ferguson, president of CUPE local 416, informed reporters of the deal at a Sunday press conference.

The city had earlier said it would impose terms of its latest contract offer if there was no deal by 12:01 a.m. Sunday, setting up the prospect of a lockout or strike. But the deadline was extended as talks continued into the morning.

The city's outside workers collect garbage, do about 25 per cent of the city's snow removal, perform road and park maintenance and run the water filtration plants.

Paramedics are also part of the union, but must keep staffing levels at 85 per cent during a work stoppage.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/02/05/toronto-union-contract.html

I gather that Rob Ford is NOT on the negotiating team for the city. Still has to be ratified by BOTH the union members AND city councillors.

From the City Manager:

February 5
Message from City Manager to all staff regarding the agreement reached with Local 416

I am very pleased to advise you that the City has reached a tentative agreement with the Toronto Civic Employees’ Union Local 416 (CUPE), representing 6,000 outdoor workers and paramedics, as of 8 a.m. this morning.

The tentative agreement must be ratified by the Local 416 membership and subsequently approved by Toronto City Council. Details of the agreement will be released once it has been ratified and approved by both parties.

The tentative agreement is fair to our employees, reasonable and affordable for residents and businesses, and will allow the Toronto Public Service to continue to deliver high quality services.

I also want to extend my sincere thanks to Bruce Anderson, Executive Director, Human Resources and the City's chief negotiator, Robert Reynolds, Director of Employee and Labour Relations and their bargaining team members for their intense efforts over the last four months, negotiating 24/7 as necessary, to secure this agreement.

Negotiations with Local 79 are continuing and I will provide you with updates regularly.

Thank you for your continuing efforts and commitment to deliver cost-effective and quality services and programs to the residents and businesses of the City of Toronto.

Joseph P. Pennachetti
City Manager

Note, that Rob Ford is not mentioned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back