2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 625     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Just imagine putting a streetcar in the middle of that traffic,” he said. “To me rapid transit...an LRT or subway, must run underground.” He later added: “Putting trains down the middle of congested, jammed up streets like the one behind us is not the answer. It is wrong.”

I don't understand this statement by Rob Ford.

Wouldn't a surface LRT reduce the number of cars on the road too?

Rob would never contemplate voluntarily taking public transit, so he can't conceive of the notion that some people would get out of their cars, thus reducing the number of cars on the road. He also seems to be oblivious to the fact that an LRT doesn't cause traffic jams because it's not in the middle of traffic.

I think it's not so much that Ford is oblivious to the value of LRTs and combination solutions for public transit as he is willfully ignoring whichever facts don't suit his view of Toronto and how it should be 'ruled.' If nothing else, the man is massively stubborn.

I dont know if its a fetish, thats what big citys do, they build underground transportation systems.....Toronto is past being, Portland, Pittsburgh or Minneapolis
Anyone in their right mind... in the middle of January/February would rather ride an underground rail system than above ground, especially that run from O,Connor to the Town Centre. That is one windy cold area to be waiting for a streetcar (i guess LRT)

Building subways in scarborough would lose money. Lack of density means lack of riders.

And would, of course, mean that the system as a whole would need to be subsidized by taxpayers even more.

On top of the fact it cost so much more to build in the first place.

Our mayor is a fiscally irresponsible populist clown. If a neighbourhood wants a subway it should have to change itself to support one first. People who choose to live in a sprawling detached home with a large driveway and backyards shouldn't expect the government to subsidise their lifestyle.

And would, of course, mean that the system as a whole would need to be subsidized by taxpayers even more.

On top of the fact it cost so much more to build in the first place.

Our mayor is a fiscally irresponsible populist clown. If a neighbourhood wants a subway it should have to change itself to support one first. People who choose to live in a sprawling detached home with a large driveway and backyards shouldn't expect the government to subsidise their lifestyle.

Bingo!!! If you moved to Morningside or Port Union you made your bed. I am not paying for your choices.

I dont know if its a fetish, thats what big citys do, they build underground transportation systems.....Toronto is past being, Portland, Pittsburgh or Minneapolis
Anyone in their right mind... in the middle of January/February would rather ride an underground rail system than above ground, especially that run from O,Connor to the Town Centre. That is one windy cold area to be waiting for a streetcar (i guess LRT)

You assume that because an LRT route is above ground it means waiting out in the snow?

LRT's are not street cars!

Many LRT's I've ridden have bright, naturally-lit, and warm stations. Copenhagen's is the first to come to mind.

Bingo!!! If you moved to Morningside or Port Union you made your bed. I am not paying for your choices.

First of all, since you are from Oakville or Mississauga, you arent paying anyways.

Second of all, what kind of way would it be to run a city like that?

(BTW I live in scarborough and prefer the LRT option also)

:confused:i like subways, who doesn't but they are too expensive. rob ford always said he would stop the gravy train but it sounds like he wants to speed it up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back