News   Jun 06, 2024
 658     0 
News   Jun 06, 2024
 509     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The_Architect:

You comments do not even reflect what I stated. No one is questioning things such as Transit City being a Miller accomplishment and Ford screwing it up. All I am saying is pat Miller on the back but also pat those around him who helped

JL416 -- One of my best friends is high up in the city. When he does something right, the Mayor takes credit. When he does something wrong, the Mayor gets blame. It's the nature of the beast -- civil service is not for those with egos that need stroking. You said that 'Miller didn't accomplish these things.' That's incorrect -- they happened because he was the Mayor. I'm sure other people worked hard to bring them to fruition, but the Mayor sets the agenda.

Oh I don't know, maybe because I think it's criminal to have to pay a $7,000 (more or less depending on the value of your property) moving tax to move 3 miles from one home to another in the same city. Thanks Miller, thanks a lot for that one.

There are rebates for first-time buyers, and really, the only ones being affected are the property flippers. Really, who moves every two years or so?

The land transfer tax doesn't seem to have slowed down sales in the city.

I've paid it twice ... once about 6 years ago and then again this year. It sucks, but it's part of the cost, and if I didn't pay a tax there, I'd pay it somewhere else. I purchased both properties knowing I'd be paying the tax so it's not like it was some nasty surprise or anything.

Um...what?? Do you have proof of that? I know people at the City of Toronto who presented and worked hard on those ideas. They deserve credit for them too.

The attitude at city hall matters quite a lot. Would you think that Luminato would have started under a Ford administration? Would new streetcars have been bought? Would Ford have supported a publicly owned landfill?

Why is the CBC the only media outlet reporting this and why haven't we heard the actual tapes yet? I'll wait to pass judgement when I hear the tapes. I don't think anyone ever actually says "Do you know who I am?" That sounds made up.

I worked the Toronto Film Festival (a terrific organization) for years. It's a statement heard dozens of times a day, but more along the lines of "don't you know who I am?" by wanna-Be's trying to skip a line or get into a screening without tickets or proper ID badges.

The land transfer tax doesn't seem to have slowed down sales in the city.

I've paid it twice ... once about 6 years ago and then again this year. It sucks, but it's part of the cost, and if I didn't pay a tax there, I'd pay it somewhere else. I purchased both properties knowing I'd be paying the tax so it's not like it was some nasty surprise or anything.

Strange.....
Council approved a new Municipal Land Transfer Tax effective February 1, 2008 ...

There is, yes.

And unless you have ideas on ways in which the city can cut $300 million from the operating budget, removing the LTT will only result in property tax hikes to make up the difference. Yes, paying the LTT sucks, but taxes often do. It hasn't hurt the real estate market in any appreciable way — in fact, it may have helped the market by discouraging speculators somewhat.

About the only reform I'd advocate with the LTT would be a look at whether they should increase the first-time exemption from $400,000 to, say, $450,000, and devise a formula to ensure the exemption rises (and falls?) with the market.

Isn't there a provincial land transfer tax?
There is; you pay both. My years may have been off, time flies and all that, but the point is that the tax hasn't impacted Toronto sales. It's a cost associated with buying real estate here. If it was detrimental, we'd have seen it in decreasing sales.

1) Vehicle registration tax scrapped
That's good policy? Worse idea ever. He reduced the only city income collected from car drivers - a measly $60 a year. Yet they provide tons of free road services for cars ... and extract nearly $1,500 a year from each transit user. And now he is having to break his election promise about not cutting services to make up the shortfall.

2) TTC made essential service
Hardly a big deal ... it was virtually like that anyways with them being always ordered back to work within hours of striking. Another Ford protecting the Unions, without even understanding what he is doing. If the union needs to be broken (as Ford has implied), they have to be able to lock them out.

3) Garbage privatized
Maybe ... let's see if the vendor can actually do what they said they can do.

4) Run the city with money that's there instead of taking the easy way out and raising taxes
He didn't cut spending in 2011 ... he simply burned through all the reserves and surpluses. Doesn't look like he will achieve this in 2012 without breaking his election promises.

That man is a complete and total policy disaster. I'm shocked that anyone has the gall to suggest otherwise!

That's good policy? Worse idea ever. He reduced the only city income collected from car drivers - a measly $60 a year. Yet they provide tons of free road services for cars ... and extract nearly $1,500 a year from each transit user. And now he is having to break his election promise about not cutting services to make up the shortfall.

Hardly a big deal ... it was virtually like that anyways with them being always ordered back to work within hours of striking. Another Ford protecting the Unions, without even understanding what he is doing. If the union needs to be broken (as Ford has implied), they have to be able to lock them out.

Maybe ... let's see if the vendor can actually do what they said they can do.

He didn't cut spending in 2011 ... he simply burned through all the reserves and surpluses. Doesn't look like he will achieve this in 2012 without breaking his election promises.

That man is a complete and total policy disaster. I'm shocked that anyone has the gall to suggest otherwise!

That's b/c those who suggest otherwise base their opinions - like their hero fraud - on misguided ideology over facts...

I know I've offered seemingly outrageous scenarios in the past: riots in the streets, assassination attempts, etc--but here's another one: at this point, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Rob Ford's driven to suicide. And re those who think he's too obtuse to be suicidal: au contraire, I think it's exactly his obtuseness that could lead him to off himself.

Which, of course, would lead to him being a "hounded to death" martyr, not unlike endlessly bullied children--in which direction that'd be spun, who knows...

IMO, unless Toronto wants to become its own province, it doesn't need its own land transfer and vehicle registration taxes. It can play by the same rules as other municipalities in Ontario play by.

The VRF and LTT need(ed) to go, but a responsible mayor would have implemented a property tax increase to make up the difference. People say it is only an extra $1.15 per week for drivers to pay, well why not simply increase property taxes by about $1.15 per week, like other municipalities would have to do? Is Toronto REALLY that special?

I know I've offered seemingly outrageous scenarios in the past: riots in the streets, assassination attempts, etc--but here's another one: at this point, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Rob Ford's driven to suicide. And re those who think he's too obtuse to be suicidal: au contraire, I think it's exactly his obtuseness that could lead him to off himself.

Other than the fact that he's just naturally unintelligent, I think his extreme obtuseness is a result of having an extreme personality disorder...more than likely a malignant narcissist. And narcissists rarely commit suicide. The stresses he is facing as mayor is really no different the stresses he has had all his life...which has always been chaotic. I suspect he is a product of a dysfunctional family. One or both of his parents probably have disorders as well. This is why his siblings are also screwed up.

He is probably a very frustrated narcissist (think of a very stupid Conrad Black)....he doesn't have the intelligence to be a successful cerebral narcissist or the looks or charm to be a successful somatic one. So he will act in desperate ways to obtain his narc supply. This is why he seems to be oblivious to reality, and actually believes most of the world belongs to "Ford Nation", when in fact, few people do. People like this literally are almost completely unaware of how people really see them, or any failures or negativity about themselves. Regular people assume he sees his long string of embarrassing comments and behaviour as humiliating, as they would....but he doesn't.

He's a pathological lier, and obviously lacks empathy. He has no sense of humour and couldn't even fathom the concept of being the butt of a joke as "fun". Which is why he reacted so bizarrely to the THH22M incident.

But to contemplate suicide would imply a level of introspection a guy like Ford is incapable of. Introspection is the scariest place a narcissist can go....it represents annihilation and they avoid it at all costs.

No....I think something bad is very likely to happen, but I don't think he would commit/attempt suicide. He will handle it the way he has shown he always handles it....redirect his inner aggression towards others. He may quit...he may get arrested...he may pull one stunt that forces him to out of office....he may have a mental breakdown...he may become ill. But most likely, he will just not run in another election...or not win another election.

Cause there's one thing I'm pretty sure about....things are not going to get better for Rob Ford in the next 3 years. And that's because he's going to listen to his imaginary friends in line at the Tim Hortons...he's going to "stay the course".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back