2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 454     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doug Ford was ambushed by Marg Delahunty, too. But he seems to be taking it in stride

Well, he didn't call 911. But he was also completely non-engaging.

Rob knew exactly what was going on, but chose complete avoidance at any cost for the same reason he had zero to do with Pride....he has a very small comfort zone, and simply cannot handle anything outside of that comfort zone.

A person like Rob, who suffers from a serious dysfunction, could not even comprehend the concept of getting into the spirit of things like this. He prefers to make an ass of himself rather than realize he might actually have some fun and endear himself to the people of the city at the same time. That's just how monumentally screwed in the head this guy is.

Mel Lastman was as old school homophobic as they come. The idea of being in the Pride parade made him extremely uncomfortable. But at the end of the day, he knew it was his job, and just bit the bullet and showed some guts and did the right thing anyway. He ended up having a blast and the whole parade loved him for it (and soaked the sh*t out of him). He showed up the next year with his own water gun and laid out some payback. He overcame his weaknesses and got into the spirit of things, and he was better off for it.

And that's maybe the biggest problem with Rob Ford.....he's just a world class BUZZKILL

I don't always watch it either but I certainly know who Mary Walsh is. I suspect that the mayor has no clue about Canadian tv programming; he is probably fixated on the NFL game and that would be about all.

Mary Walsh's Marg is legendary in Canada, albeit not on the level of say, Margaret Atwood. I'll give Ford this one though, I don't believe anyone should be pulling pranks or media stints at his home. But to call 9-1-1 because his daughter was scared? Come on...

Last edited:
On another topic, as we all know that yesterday was Ford's one year anniversary as "Mayor" and the media snippets I saw tonight basically all ran the same thing, he gives himself high marks, he says he'd do nothing differently and has no regrets - not one. I notice he blinks a lot and looks down when I believe he's not telling the truth, he was doing a lot of that while summarizing his first year in office. This guy is truly delusional.

The Globe says that Toronto Hydro paid out about $25 million in dividends last year, which was half of its earnings. The article says utilities generally are worth about 16-20 times earnings, but is unsure whether "earnings" here should include the reinvested earnings, or just the dividend. (ANSWER: It depends on whether the reinvestment is likely to contribute to earnings growth.)

Either way, this ratio implies a return of 5-6%. At the moment, governments can borrow money on a ten-year term at an interest rate of just over 2 percent. Five is greater than two.

By selling part of Toronto Hydro to avoid new debt, the City will be giving up a return of 5-6% in order to avoid paying 2% interest on the debt.

Here's a random thought. Toronto Hydro would probably generate more profit if it was privately owned - the shareholders would demand it.

If they sold just 10%, would the private shareholders then push for more profit (higher rates I'd assume). Say they doubled the profit.

Then city would get 90% of $50 million instead of 100% of $25 million. $45 million a year, plus 10% lump sum of the value.

I'm just pulling it out of my ass ... but ... is there anything to this (even though numbers might be somewhat different than what I came out with)?

Toronto Hydro should only be sold with the condition that they must phase out overhead wires for good in Toronto. Maybe it shouldn't be sold after all. Rather, perhaps an organization should be created like in Montreal charged with burying all overhead wires and maintaining the conduits.

Toronto Hydro should only be sold with the condition that they must phase out overhead wires for good in Toronto. Maybe it shouldn't be sold after all. Rather, perhaps an organization should be created like in Montreal charged with burying all overhead wires and maintaining the conduits.

Perfect.

More on the 22 Minutes fiasco. News reports on CBC are saying that Ford called 911 a second time, wanting to know when police would get there. 911 operators are saying he "took out his anger" on them, saying, "Do you know who I am? I'm Rob f-ing Ford, and I'm the f-ing mayor of this city"

Now that's a recording I'd like to hear. Wonder how long before that leaks?

Hopefully at least one of his neighbours shows up in a Xena Princess Warrior costume on Hallowe'en!

I'm not familiar with the legalities around this, but is there the potential that he could be charged and at least fined for needlessly calling 911 and endangering lives?

Why would we be surprised that this mayor has no respect for emergency services in this city, by not only using the system for a non-emergency, but verbally abusing the operators?

Isn't this the same guy who suggested that the public should use 911 to report graffiti?

This mayor should not be at 100 Queen Street West.....he should be at 1001 Queen Street West.

Doesn't seem a bad idea, if you observe a vandal in progress.

I think you are missing the point. Emergency services are a limited resource and is supposed to be saving lives and other, you know.....serious sh*t.

Now how is this supposed to work if every minor "crime" or bylaw infraction is called in to 911?

Now, you can report these things if you think it's going to do any good, but you don't have to call 911. Yea....spray painting on public or private property is indeed a "crime"....as is the lady who let her poodle crap on my lawn and not pick it up. Or say, a guy with a fat, red face driving a minivan while talking on a cell phone (and giving other motorists the finger).

It's called being irresponsible. And Toronto has a poster boy for irresponsible behaviour....the MAYOR!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back