News   Apr 26, 2024
 361     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 929     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The man has no shame.

That's his secret weapon. It's outrageous to us that he calls himself honest and makes claims he knows most people recognize as blatant falsehoods but he has no shame. To his supporters it looks like he's telling the truth -- nobody would lie like that because they'd be embarrassed to be caught lying. Not Rob.

MetroMan:

I think the problem is that his opponents are too civil and don't communicate viscerally - his unwillingness to comment on anything is also his greatest liability - what's he going to do if a fellow council member call him a crackhead? There is truly no need to measure one's words - to do that would be to cede the "real" to him.

AoD

^To be fair, this shamelessness is a trait Ford shares with many other "successful" people. Some of the most successful salespeople I know, for example, succeed in large part because they have no compunction about overstating the merits of the thing they are selling, without concern for the time when their customers discover the truth. For people who value credibility, it is maddening, but it works. Ford is a shining example.

My friend was over at his parents' place. They live with his Romanian grandmother who doesn't speak a word of English. One morning she asked in Romanian "What is this Rob Ford thing all about?" Apparently it's all over the Romanian national press.

^To be fair, this shamelessness is a trait Ford shares with many other "successful" people. Some of the most successful salespeople I know, for example, succeed in large part because they have no compunction about overstating the merits of the thing they are selling, without concern for the time when their customers discover the truth. For people who value credibility, it is maddening, but it works. Ford is a shining example.

Yeah, think Trump, or even Mel - though the differential between ability and boast was never this wide.

AoD

Just listening to this...it's amazing. Oakley is actually going after him. Presses him to say he NEVER smoked crack. Ford dodges multiple times.

Dodging multiple times and then finally saying never is suggestive of someone who had to say no, in spite of the real answer being a big fat yes.

AoD

Norm Kelly on Rob Ford: “He’s taken, in his eyes, dramatic steps to change his lifestyle, I take him at his word, and I will hold him to that,” Rob Ford ally Norm Kelly accepts mayor’s apology (Toronto Star)

It's been extremely frustrating to watch Norm Kelly - whose ward I grew up in - devolve into such a spineless bootlicker. Although I never shared his politics, I always had more respect for him than divisive ideologues like Mike Del Grande (in the neighbouring ward). I just don't understand why he's tying himself to Rob Ford. I didn't understand it back when he voted to fire Gary Webster, and I really don't understand it now.

Just listening to this...it's amazing. Oakley is actually going after him. Presses him to say he NEVER smoked crack. Ford dodges multiple times.

I'm listening as well. Rob starts to lose it when he realizes he is getting asked actual questions.:cool:

I'm listening as well. Rob starts to lose it when he realizes he is getting asked actual questions.:cool:

According to what Ford just said, one of Norm Kelly's preconditions for accepting Robbie's "resolution" to this mess was to hire a driver. I guess at least his conscience is clean from the point of view Robbie no longer being able to mowe down a group of kids on the side walk.

Sent my email to the executive. Haven't heard back from Pam McConnell (who I emailed yesterday).

to: councillor_crawford@toronto.ca, councillor_crisanti@toronto.ca, councillor_digiorgio@toronto.ca, councillor_kelly@toronto.ca, mcrover2@toronto.ca, councillor_mammoliti@toronto.ca, councillor_milczyn@toronto.ca, councillor_minnan-wong@toronto.ca, councillor_palacio@toronto.ca, councillor_perruzza@toronto.ca, councillor_shiner@toronto.ca, councillor_thompson@toronto.ca
exc@toronto.ca

To the Executive Committee Members:

Reports of the unprecedented behavior of Toronto’s mayor Rob Ford are making worldwide headlines, including The Economist and The New York Times. Our city is being shamed on a global scale. Much of the story is not so much that a mayor did stupid things, but that the citizens of Toronto are tolerating it and allowing him to continue to represent him.

You, as Executive Committee members, have the power to take a loud and clear stand on this issue.

What do you plan to do to let the world know that Toronto does not wish to be represented by this man?

I believe if you do not take clear action, all of you will be held accountable by voters at election time for enabling this continuing debacle.

Thank you,

Kevin Speight (ward 28)

You're referring to the Project Traveller wiretaps, right? Because the Brazen 2 wiretaps didn't happen until much later in the game. Do we know that Siad and/or Basso were the subject of Traveller wiretaps?

Siad was being watched.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2013/10/24/police_may_have_watched_gawker_crack_video_meeting.html

I'm pretty sure Ford is doubling-down on the idea that Lisi will plead guilty.

If Lisi pleads guilty and there's no trial, from when I understand, the video will get buried. If he pleads not-guilty, that's when it gets shown in court.

Ford can plead and plead and plead right now, believing it will never see the light of day, and then in the future he can say "Listen everyone, I tried to get it released, I told Bill Blair, etc etc" - and to his supporters, that's good enough. He seems to be playing to the only strategy he has left - "Keep the core supporters, don't worry about pleasing anyone else".

At least Lorne was pushing back a little bit in his interview

This article explains it pretty well. It would still be possible but it would have to be due to other means, like a public inquiry.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...hats-next-for-the-ford-video/article15201792/

"What are the chances the video will one day become public?

The odds are good. “Maybe there will be a public inquiry about this,†Mr. Jacobsen suggested. “I can’t believe that a video like that, that has been so celebrated, will not see the light of day somehow.â€

So just a few hours after Rob pleads "heartfelt" forgiveness for his past public drunk episodes, people witness him back at the LCBO buying booze last night.

Do you have more on this? Not that I wouldn't believe it; the one and only time I've seen Ford in person was at the Jane/Dundas LCBO. I fired off an email to my councilor last week and am drafting one to the Exec Committee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back