News   Apr 26, 2024
 647     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 231     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 714     0 

Roads: Traffic Signals

If I am in a car, stopped at a red light and a bicycle passes me on the right, while they get within 1m of my car;

1) Do I get the ticket for being within 1m of a moving bicycle.
2) Does the bicycle get a ticket for coming within 1m of me.
3) Does it depend on the mood of the police officer on who gets a ticket.
the 1m rule is virtually unenforcable (for a variety of reasons....the scenario you describe being one of them)...it is one of those laws/rules designed to make people (primarily motorists) think about safety and tickets will likely be restricted to after the fact in the case of accidents/collisions

I find this much more confusing. I assume it means it is a divided highway and cars on the far half of the road do not need to stop. Maybe its needed for a six lane road, but there are virtually no crosswalks on these big streets.
Offhand, are there any pedestrian crossings on divided highway? I can't think of any offhand in this city. They normally seem to have signalized intersections, not pedestrian crossings.

I find this much more confusing. I assume it means it is a divided highway and cars on the far half of the road do not need to stop. Maybe its needed for a six lane road, but there are virtually no crosswalks on these big streets.

It is not required to stop for school buses with lights flashing and stop sign out if (and only if) you are driving in the opposite direction on a divided highway. I'd imagine this would be the same.

Watch this video from Berlin. Look at the traffic signals and signage (or lack thereof). There is no signs to explain that this signal light is for the tram.

Near the end, there is a traffic signal that indicates a left turn. Without the signage (which would have been in German), I understood it to be a left turn signal.

Does anyone know whether the city has any formal criteria for advance left turn signals? As in, is there a certain required traffic volume, or are they added on an ad hoc basis?

I ask partly out of curiosity and partly because I'd like to approach the city about changing the operation of a particular signal near where I live. This intersection, Dundas West and Sorauren, has an advance left turn phase from Dundas westbound to Sorauren southbound. The result is a rather poor level of service for pedestrians crossing Sorauren on the south side of Dundas. Pedestrians get a walk signal for ten seconds out of a total signal cycle time of 75 seconds. The advance turn phase seems entirely unnecessary outside of peak hours. Just 250 metres west on Dundas, the signal at Howard Park has a peak-only advance turn phase, and I'm pretty sure the volume of left-turning traffic is similar at that intersection.

@reaperexpress? I feel like you'd know about this.

Does anyone know whether the city has any formal criteria for advance left turn signals? As in, is there a certain required traffic volume, or are they added on an ad hoc basis?

I ask partly out of curiosity and partly because I'd like to approach the city about changing the operation of a particular signal near where I live. This intersection, Dundas West and Sorauren, has an advance left turn phase from Dundas westbound to Sorauren southbound. The result is a rather poor level of service for pedestrians crossing Sorauren on the south side of Dundas. Pedestrians get a walk signal for ten seconds out of a total signal cycle time of 75 seconds. The advance turn phase seems entirely unnecessary outside of peak hours. Just 250 metres west on Dundas, the signal at Howard Park has a peak-only advance turn phase, and I'm sure the volume of left-turning traffic is much greater at that intersection.

@reaperexpress? I feel like you'd know about this.

I didn't know you could tag another user in a post. Neat.

Unfortunately the City's signal timing policy is not publicly available. They'd been talking about making a public version, but I don't think that's happened yet. But the province's guidelines are available online* and municipal guidelines are generally pretty similar.

From page 32:
Simplified method:

A left-turn phase may be justified:
- If the left-turning vehicles are not finding suitable turning gaps, volume exceeds at least two vehicles per cycle, and the Level of Service at the intersection will not be jeopardized; or
- If the left-turning volume plus the opposing volume > 720 vehicles per hour; oriii If a field check shows that vehicles consistently require more than two cycles in the queue in order to turn left; or
- If an over-representation of left turning collisions is identified at the intersection
Note that "may" was underlined to emphasize that this simple check is just a handy tool, not an irrefutable conclusion.

Then there's the Analytical method which can use a variety of strategies such as balancing (vehicular) delay and level of (vehicular) saturation for the various approaches. There's notably the Ontario Capacity Analysis Method which spits out a "yes" or "no" for left turn phases based mostly on (vehicular) capacity. But it doesn't really work in a location like Dundas & Sorauren with no dedicated lane because it doesn't account for the higher impact of a delay to a left turning car. So the City might err on the more "cautious" side in a location like Dundas & Sorauren.

There is also a lot of trial and error, especially in a city centre location where models are cumbersome and imprecise given the aforementioned shortage of standard analysis methods for non-vehicular modes, as well as the unpredictability caused by parked cars, parking cars, bicycles, stopping streetcars, transit signal priority, etc. So the City definitely does take into consideration comments from users on how the signals are working day-to-day.

I'm actually surprised that the left turn onto Sorauren comes up all day. I'm not that familiar with the intersection's operation, but it seems like the sort of place where the left turn signal might always come up at rush hours, but for the rest of the day it would only come up for westbound streetcars. It could even be that it's set up that way and something's broken. Or maybe the signal's there for safety reasons given the sharp angle of the turn (though in that case it'd probably make more sense to ban the turn altogether).

*I can't seem to get a static link to the file but you can find it by searching "Ontario Traffic Manual - Book 12 - Traffic Signals. Nov. 2007" in the MTO catalog.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed response!

I'm actually surprised that the left turn onto Sorauren comes up all day. I'm not that familiar with the intersection's operation, but it seems like the sort of place where the left turn signal might always come up at rush hours, but for the rest of the day it would only come up for westbound streetcars. It could even be that it's set up that way and something's broken. Or maybe the signal's there for safety reasons given the sharp angle of the turn (though in that case it'd probably make more sense to ban the turn altogether).
Yes, it is surprising! I wondered whether it might have something to do with reducing transit delays, but you make a good point that the left turn phase could be activated by an approaching streetcar. I suspect that someone made a mistake or something is broken. Going to follow up with my local councillor.

On the Viva BRTs I noticed that left turning cars are prioritized over transit vehicles. Can anyone explain why? To me, it would make more sense to allow cars to turn left after the transit vehicle has passed.

On the Viva BRTs I noticed that left turning cars are prioritized over transit vehicles. Can anyone explain why? To me, it would make more sense to allow cars to turn left after the transit vehicle has passed.
Because single occupancy vehicles are more important than transit vehicles in York Region (and Toronto).

I see that as well on Spadina, St. Clair Avenue West and on The Queensway. Because in Ontario, streetcars are considered a single vehicle, they have to let the three or four single-occupant vehicles to make their left turns first, because they ignore the occupancy of the vehicles.

I see that as well on Spadina, St. Clair Avenue West and on The Queensway. Because in Ontario, streetcars are considered a single vehicle, they have to let the three or four single-occupant vehicles to make their left turns first, because they ignore the occupancy of the vehicles.
That is a very stupid law. It should be amended, since streetcars have a much higher capacity than most private motor vehicles.

I don't think its a legal thing or a requirement, otherwise Spadina and Lakeshore would not have streetcars given the right of way BEFORE the left turn signal for cars. I think it's just transportation being too afraid to give the ROW over to transit.

Left turning cars are not prioritized above streetcars/buses per se, it's just that transit vehicles are not prioritized over left turning cars (which is indeed an issue given the aforementioned occupancy difference).

Simply changing the order of the phases from leading (before through traffic) to lagging (after through traffic) would make absolutely no difference to transit delays. It's exactly the same green time, simply at a different point in the cycle. As Tuscani01 mentioned, Spadina and Lakeshore currently operates with a lagging left turn phase, meaning that left turns go after streetcars. And that in itself does nothing to reduce the astronomical delays faced by streetcars at that intersection.

There are two primary methods to prioritize transit vehicles over left turns: phase insertion and phase rotation.

Phase insertion is where an extra phase is added in the cycle to provide a green to transit. So with leading left turns (as on St. Clair, Viva Rapidways, most of Spadina) if there's a streetcar waiting or approaching at the point where the left turn phase would normally start, it would run an additional east-west phase first, then go back to the regular sequence (left turns, then east-west again). The main question in this option is which movements should be permitted during the inserted phase. If only transit is permitted it can be very short, with as little as 6 seconds of green (around 12 seconds for the whole phase including amber and all-red). If transit and parallel cars are permitted, the minimum green increases to somewhere in the ballpark of 7-12 seconds (depending on how you interpret various guidelines). And finally if you permit transit, parallel cars and pedestrians, then your phase length is determined by the pedestrian clearance time (Minimum Walk+Flashing Don't Walk). With a narrow side street such as those along St Clair, the Flashing Don't Walk is pretty short so allowing pedestrians only adds a couple seconds compared to just allowing vehicles. But with massive side streets such as those along Hwy 7, the minimum pedestrian time could drive the minimum greens well over 30 seconds, translating to minimum phase lengths as high as 40 or even 45 seconds.

The downside of phase insertion is that it reduces the total vehicle capacity by increasing lost time, and can put the signal out of coordination by adding time in the cycle. Inserting a very short transit-only phase has a fairly minor impact on coordination, since 12 seconds can be recovered fairly quickly at most intersections by shortening subsequent phases. But it has a larger impact on vehicle capacity since those 12 seconds are completely unused with respect to other road users. Conversely inserting an all-movements phase has a fairly low impact on lost time (just the extra amber and all-red), but with a long phase it can totally throw off signal co-ordination. Adding a 40 seconde phase in an 80 second cycle puts a signal at the opposite offset from where it should be.

Phase insertion is used at Lakeshore and Spadina. If there's a streetcar waiting or approaching at the end of the left turn phase (remember that left turns follow transit normally), a second north-south phase is provided with a minimum green for transit and cars (but not pedestrians). Unfortunately this feature doesn't address the main cause of delays at the intersection, which is the extremely long east-west phase for Lakeshore Blvd that streetcars are not allowed to shorten.

Phase rotation is where the order of the phases is changed to adapt to approaching/waiting transit. So with leading left turns, if there's a streetcar waiting or approaching at the point where the left turn phase would normally start, the order is switched so that left turns are served lagging instead. Since the total cycle time is unchanged, the signal is able to stay totally in sync. The co-ordinated phase is served at the "wrong" time for that particular cycle, but at the end of the cycle it will always be back to normal operation. Similarly there is no impact on vehicle capacity since it's the same phases, just in a different order.

The main downside of rotation is that it can cause a very large delay to left turning vehicles. With phase insertion, the extra phase is kept to a minimum and so are delays to left turning vehicles. Adding a 12 second phase simply delays them by 12 seconds, which is not a big deal. But with phase rotation, the transit phase is served up to whatever length it was going to be served normally. Often that could be a very long time, especially during rush hour. Then you could start running into the issue of left turning cars building up in the lane and spilling over into other lanes.

Phase rotation is not used in Toronto, but it has recently become technically possible as a result of equipment upgrades.

In Ontario, there is a delay of about 3± seconds, when the traffic signals turn red in one direction before the other direction turns green (or the left turn phase). During that delay, the other direction transit vehicles should be given their priority. At the end of those 3± seconds, the transit signal should end and the other direction turns green (or the left turn phase begins). If the transit vehicle is still in the intersection, the left turn vehicles can still edge into the intersection and wait for the transit vehicle to clear before attempting to complete their left turn.

Back